• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wireless Tether/PS3/Frustration!

takirb

Android Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2010
S. Carolina
Alright, I'm running the Xplode ROM RS1.2. When I was running the older RC version, the built in "Wifi Tether" didn't work correctly. I heard it was fixed in the latest release. Anywho, I've been using "Wireless Tether" from the market cuz I have to have seperate net access while at work to do some contract stuff. It works fine, but my PS3 wont detect it at all. It will however detect the built in Wifi Tether that came with the ROM, yet it wont connect as if its still broken from an earlier release. I've verified the Wireless Tether still works by connecting my PC to it, I've also tried mirroring the tether settings between both apps with no success. Only difference I can see in the 2 is that the built in tether uses WPA/WPA2 and the other tether uses WEP. I've tried with all security off also, same scenario. Anyone else ever have this issue? I'm planning to bring my PS3 to work this week, but its pointless if I can't play online LOL Id hate to have to revert back to MikG just for the Sprint hotspot that worked with the PS3 before.

edit - friggin' autocorrect

I'm on version 2.0.7 cuz it was the only version I could get to work when I first flashed an AOSP ROM. I also had to change the bin files per Vaelpak's (I think) wireless tether fix to get tethering to work, so that "may" have something to do with it. That was done a long time ago, and I never changed anything back cuz it was the only way I could support my contract customers while at my primary job. I still don't understand what would allow the signal to work with a PC's but not the PS3. Its all just "signal" right?

Upvote 0
Holy crap! You can actually tether off the Evo to a PS3? Really? I would've thought the signal from the Evo would've been too weak to use...Is it really laggy, the gameplay I mean? Is it bearable or so-so? Have you tried it with any other game systems?

Most importantly: How much info do you use (Gb's) in an average gaming session, say 2 hours?

Upvote 0
I had no clue it was possible to do something like that haha.

Heck yea, you can give bandwidth priority to certain services/connections (QoS), amplify the signal strength for a better range, etc. Only router i've came across that i couldn't flash DD-WRT to is a 2yr old DLink. Something about the firmware being closed-source or something. Tons more options over most stock router firmware/GUI's...

Hack Attack: Turn your $60 router into a $600 router

www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Holy crap! You can actually tether off the Evo to a PS3? Really? I would've thought the signal from the Evo would've been too weak to use...Is it really laggy, the gameplay I mean? Is it bearable or so-so? Have you tried it with any other game systems?

Most importantly: How much info do you use (Gb's) in an average gaming session, say 2 hours?

Not sure about the data amount as I've never cared, but i'm sure it's not HUGE. Online gaming mainly consists of code going back/forth, and the graphics and such are generated from your console itself. If your console isn't getting a good signal from the Evo, just move the two closer together. Only thing you'll be concerned with is decent Sprint signal. If you have decent Sprint service/signal at that location, you may experience "some" lag but not as much as you would on 1x or poor signal. I've tried it with COD Black Ops and NBA 2K11 (or maybe 2K10) with some bearable lag, but i didn't have a constant 3G connection either.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Ive tried every configuration i can think of and i still cant get it to connect. Ive tried using an older version of the apk and still nothing. I also tried using the hacked wi-fi hotspot but that wont even run. Every time i try to open it it forces it self close. Sorry man seems like this rom doesn't support wifi tethering that good. Im still gonna try and figure out a way and hopefully I find one. For the mean while you should try using Boot Manager (https://market.android.com/details?...51bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5kcngyLmJvb3RtYW5hZ2VyIl0.) that way you can run on Xplod as your daily driver and switch over to any other rom that the wifi works properly on and when your done just switch back. And its quick too. All you have to do is wait for it to reboot. With this apk you can run up to 5 roms. One on the phone and 4 on the sd card. Just make sure you have a high enough class card and enough space to run the roms.

Reactions: takirb
Upvote 0
Thanks for trying it out for me. I've never been able to get the built in "Wifi Tether" to work on this ROM though it was supposed to have been fixed in the RS1. I've got "Wireless Tether" from the market working just fine, just not on the PS3. I think that's cause i used an old AOSP fix earlier in the year that changed binary files for that app. Just doesn't make sense that PC's can pickup/connect to the SSID just fine, but not the PS3.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones