• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wireless tether questions

Bman123

Feb 27, 2011
So I used the built in free mobile hotspot now on the pc to try it out and see how it is going and I am getting 12mbps on speed test on the pc with it running off my phone.

So I said I really didnt want to root and rom yet but if this wireless tether is running so good why not root and take advantage of it and get some free tethering LOL.

I was wondering what program you rooted bolt users are running to do wireless tether? I really dont know if one is better then the other or if all of them are still working or not.

Also wondering how much data you guys have tethered and if VZW has throttled your speeds yet. I mostly use wifi at home, I am at my baby mommas house for the night and she has no internet that's why I am rooting and trying to tether for free so I can actually get online on the pc and the same with her, mainly for her I can just use the phone LOL.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys, I am downloading the auto root right now and it's at 75% so I am almost done with that part. HTC sync is installed, all the drivers are installed. I'm just waiting on the auto root to download and finish. Then I will run the auto root and get back on here to see what you guys said. Thanks in advance

i personally use Wireless Tether but Barnacle is also very popular. can't really comment on data usage, as i only tether to my tablet when there is no wi-fi. my data has never been throttled, and i have not been charged any extra so far, but i imagine every day usage on multiple devices would throw up some red flags.

also, VZ has recently blocked Wireless Tether (among others) from appearing in the market. luckily, it is easy to get around their block; simply turn on airplane mode, then enable wi-fi, and you will be able to find any of them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones