• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

wireless tether root question

Verizon really has no way of knowing right off if you're tethering or not, since the data packets are all 3G. HOWEVER: if you start torrenting, streaming movies all month or generally exceeding 5GB a month continuously, they may start paying more attention to you and figure out what you're doing. I tether very conservatively, and only when I need to.

Unlimited data really IS unlimited data... but keep it reasonable and you should be okay. :)

Upvote 0
Verizon really has no way of knowing right off if you're tethering or not, since the data packets are all 3G. HOWEVER: if you start torrenting, streaming movies all month or generally exceeding 5GB a month continuously, they may start paying more attention to you and figure out what you're doing. I tether very conservatively, and only when I need to.

Unlimited data really IS unlimited data... but keep it reasonable and you should be okay. :)

Sort of, but not really.

The data packets are different. Verizon can easily tell, but they have to actually look at your account to do so. If you don't draw attention to yourself you can probably get away with it but the more people violate their contract and tether, the more likely Verizon is to crack down and/or start limiting data plans.

This 5GB number people throw around is really arbitrary. If you had an actual wireless data plan (not a smart phone plan) then they have a 5GB cap. Our data plan is unlimited. Any amount of tethering can get you in trouble and they can charge you for it. The more data you use, the more likely your account will get their attention.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones