• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wireless Tether Still Free?

The only people that Wireless tether will cost is people that Join Verizon as of 7-6-11.... after that date the unlimited data plan was no longer offered.
Translation if their data goes over they get charged... Way to go LAME Verizon.

Now if you have a Unlimited Data plan now.... Hang on to it with your life because if you get rid of it. You can never get it again. Right as of now you are Grandfathered in for life.

But they are trying to make it uncomfortable for those grandfathered in ppl. They Are Throttling Unlimited users that are in the top 5% Of Data "offenders"
If you are Throttled you will experience extreme slow internet for 2 months as your punishment.

This is an effort to try and get you to "upgrade" To a tiered plan. So basically its like an Indian Giver. Heres your Unlimited plan..... Oh but wait Unlimited really doesent mean Unlimited does it.

I use to reccomend Verizon to everyone. Now I will not. I recommend Sprint. The only reason is that Sprint still has their Unlimited plan.... For now. When... If Verizon Throttles me. I am gone to Sprint. :mad:

Upvote 0
The only people that Wireless tether will cost is people that Join Verizon as of 7-6-11.... after that date the unlimited data plan was no longer offered.
Translation if their data goes over they get charged... Way to go LAME Verizon.

Now if you have a Unlimited Data plan now.... Hang on to it with your life because if you get rid of it. You can never get it again. Right as of now you are Grandfathered in for life.

But they are trying to make it uncomfortable for those grandfathered in ppl. They Are Throttling Unlimited users that are in the top 5% Of Data "offenders"
If you are Throttled you will experience extreme slow internet for 2 months as your punishment.

This is an effort to try and get you to "upgrade" To a tiered plan. So basically its like an Indian Giver. Heres your Unlimited plan..... Oh but wait Unlimited really doesent mean Unlimited does it.

I use to reccomend Verizon to everyone. Now I will not. I recommend Sprint. The only reason is that Sprint still has their Unlimited plan.... For now. When... If Verizon Throttles me. I am gone to Sprint. :mad:

Their "top 5%" is full of users with data of 50+ GB per month. Unless you are near that amount, you have no reason to worry. And if you DO use that much, you need to stop ruining unlimited data for other people.
The contract states that unlimited data ONLY applies to data ON THE DEVICE. Tethering is a BREACH of contract, so they COULD terminate you for it. The good news is, that's not the case. You should actually be thanking Verizon that they aren't following in AT&T's footsteps and forcing a paid tethering plan on you.

Upvote 0
Their "top 5%" is full of users with data of 50+ GB per month. Unless you are near that amount, you have no reason to worry. And if you DO use that much, you need to stop ruining unlimited data for other people.
The contract states that unlimited data ONLY applies to data ON THE DEVICE. Tethering is a BREACH of contract, so they COULD terminate you for it. The good news is, that's not the case. You should actually be thanking Verizon that they aren't following in AT&T's footsteps and forcing a paid tethering plan on you.

et tu Brute

Are you a Democrat by chance. Did you vote for HOPE & CHANGE last election? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Im grandfathered in from Altell with their fully unlimited Smartpack 500 plan. I paid outright 400 or so for A motorola Evoke QA4 phone, and all the stuff i needed to "plug it into my computer" as I did not have any other internet option in my town other than dialup for 20 dollars a month(which required a rather old landline which was another 60 a month for basic with a dialup plan that allowed me to stay connected longer than 4 hours to get 26.4kbps). The lady that sold the package showed me the cord, pointed me to altells software page and told me to use the motorola HINT software pack to get unlimited highspeed REV-A data which was better and cheaper than verizons teired plan. She told me she downloaded movies all day long on her evoke. The one problem was it only allowed me to stay on for 12 hours and then hung up the connection. This was to keep people from running "server specific software" for hosting games, web, etc, as they didnt want people hosting off the service. Any other data was not frowned upon. I had STEAM with over 100GB of games and I was very specific that I needed to download up to 20gb of game at a time in order to play and then uninstall and install a new game cause I didnt have the space on the pc at the time. They could care less at the data as it stated UNLIMITED web. Verizon took over and told me as long as I didnt change this UNLIM 1X SMARTPACK option from my account, it was grandfathered in. Whatever altell told me had to stick for life. Although I do not know at what extent this is going to stick but I have no other option and use the internet constantly for my business in computer repair(downloading almost a gig of updates at one time for people is an every day thing for me) I also enjoy music, streaming web, movies from my netflix account, and of course I still have hundreds of dollars in games in my STEAM account that I still need to DL to the pc(although im creating backups now after a major crash and lost everything). A couple of months ago I had 80GB of data on the account and no slow downs(i do notice it drops from 300KBPS to around 120KBPS but i believe its a radio issue if i move it around it works faster). The account says UNLIM 1X SMARTPACK on it and not one person I know around here has that unless they had unlimited altell or verizon internet before they must done away with it. They took money from the govt a while back here millions to upgrade and provide every household in northern michigan with high speed internet. Our local ISP took the money and provided us with 200 dollar a month high speed internet with expensive towers and wireless equipment. Verizon wireless is 10 times faster than that junk and I pay the original 69.99 a month for this extra package and they charge for 1000 texts which i believe was included on my old contract and I dont say a word I pay the extra 13 a month and if I accidently go over 500 minutes of talk, oh well, my bad. I will pay them big money and not even bitch about it. As long as they keep their mouth shut about the data I download. Between 4 smartphones we are hundreds a month in fees so I dont think they will say much if they want to continue with our business. I know as soon as sprint steps up their game and put in a Tower site Im going to them instead for 79.99 unlimited everything and they dont slow you down.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones