• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wireless tether work around on verizon..

painweaver

Mar 26, 2010
I see that verizon blocked the coveted 'wireless tether for root users' app in the market.

I am so disappointed. I used this app so much for work, I travel a lot and sometimes I can't get wifi internet where I stay or on the road, but often I DO have a phone signal so I can still have internet on my computer to send files and what-not. It has saved my butt in a pinch so many times I lost count.

Is there any chance we will have an exploit or work-around for this app for the bionic? Any piece of info would be appreciated.

Trust me, it's being worked on. 2ndinit I believe is the method they'll need to make it functional (required for Motos with locked bootloaders running GB). I don't know much about it, still trying to learn. I know this is a huge feature for me; don't use it much, but when I need and I'm really appreciative.
Stay tuned for now. (you can also check out some wired tethering apps, they should work)

Upvote 0
and people get upset when they do away with unlimited data... if you want a feature, pay for it (before they take away unlimited data from those who still have it).

Technically speaking, the unlimited data is not included when you use Verizon's tether. To my understanding, it just nets you an extra 2GB/month of tethered data usage. So, people abiding by Verizon's terms who purchase and use their approved tethering can run over the 2GB limit (which is what angers some people.)

Upvote 0
Technically speaking, the unlimited data is not included when you use Verizon's tether. To my understanding, it just nets you an extra 2GB/month of tethered data usage. So, people abiding by Verizon's terms who purchase and use their approved tethering can run over the 2GB limit (which is what angers some people.)

unless they already have unlimited data. then it's $30 for UNLIMITED tether. imo, that's a steal. Unlimited 4G internet for $30 a month (60 total).

Upvote 0
Yeah, can verizon catch this if you are not running a custom rom? (since we dont have a custom rom yet)

I tried this to see what would happen. When I changed the settings the verizon data widget stopped increasing but my concern is that all of a sudden my data usage just stopped on a brand new bionic. I think that would throw up a red flag for verizon. As I said I just tried this to see what would happen and have since flashed the full fxz file to put everything back to normal.

What ever you decide to do it is your choice, not the forums or anybody who posts here. The rewards and consequences are yours alone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones