1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Wireless Tether

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mmottino, May 14, 2011.

1. mmottino

mmottino Lurker
    None

May 14, 2011
    I rooted my phone, although still running standard ROM, and installed Wireless Tether App. It seems that anyone and everyone can connect to my "Tether", but me. I have an HP dv7-2277 laptop; my girlfriend has the exact same computer with all the same applications installed (specifically same anti virus, same firewall) with all the same settings as I have. We are both running the Intel 5100 AGN, with the same drivers. She connects without a problem to the tether, as does my brother, coworkers, etc. My son connected his iPad 2 and I can connect my iPod Touch, just not my laptop. Anyone have any ideas as to what it could be? (even tried unloading anti virus and firewall software, turned off windows firewall, turned off windows defender, even though all these are running on girl friends computer). I am at a loss at this point. I see the Tether appear as available, click on it and click connect, and then absoulutely nothing happens, no indications that laptop is even trying to connect. Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisement

2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    Try messing with the encryption settings in the tether app.

And also be advised that verizon is cracking down on tethering, so don't be suprised if you see some extra charges on your bill in the coming months.

mmottino likes this.
  3. mmottino

mmottino Lurker
    None

May 14, 2011
    Thank you, I have tried using encryption and running it open.....both ways will connect to my girlfirends computer, which is the same as mine, but niether way connects to my computer. Thanks again for the help.

4. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA

Might try and see if there is updated drivers for your wireless card.
    It's obvious the problem lies with the pc and not the app.
    Depending how tech savvy you are... you might want to try going into the settings for the adapter and forcing it into "g" only mode.
    Might also want to try to change the setting "connect even when network isn't broadcasting" and set up a static ip.(shooting into the dark here)
    Maybe also try manually typing the ssid (case sensitive). Change to a new one on the tether app.