1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Wireless tethering for Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kevhow, Oct 25, 2011.

1. kevhow

kevhow Member

I have a question for you rooted Thunderbolt owners. I am currently using a rooted Droid 1 and the main thing I use it for is free wireless tethering. I used to change ROMs all the time, but I honestly got tired of it, and now I just use it as a phone and a free hotspot.

Would I be able to do the same thing with a rooted Thunderbolt? If so, I assume it would be noticeably faster with the 4G speeds...

Also, not sure if anyone would know this, but would I see any difference in the speed for tethering between a Thunderbolt and a newer 4G phone like the Razr or Nexus? I know the specs on the new phones are a lot more powerful, but does any of that effect how fast I can download stuff onto my Ipad or laptop? Basically, if I can get the same speeds with the Thunderbolt and not pay $300 for a phone, I would love that....

Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. bjanow

bjanow Android Expert

If you can get tether to work, and that's a big "if", speeds for dl should be equal no matter the speed of the processor. If you can get it to work, let me know how you did it and the *exact* settings and program you use along with the rom. I've tried it on aosp, sense 3.0 and 3.5 all with little or no success. I know some people have it working but I've done their exact setup and no go. I'm using PDAnet for now which always works but that's for a single computer.

3. rexdog1888

rexdog1888 Android Enthusiast

I've had lots of issues setting it up too...finally used easytether and used my laptop to broadcast the connection to other devices

4. superstretch

superstretch Well-Known Member

I've used Wireless Tether successfully on the TB. There have been some versions that don't quite work for whatever reason, but in most rom threads, they'll either tell you the best version to use or include it already. Past that point, the problems experienced are inversely proportional to their knowledge of networking (leaving a static IP when it provides DHCP, etc)

5. EinZtein

EinZtein Android Enthusiast

Wireless tether 2.0 will work fine with any ROM.

6. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest

When I was using Gingeritis, it worked flawless. Now that I'm on an updated rom, it doesn't work unless I have the phone on and some data processing constantly. Speeds shouldn't matter from different phones with different processor speeds. It'll be hit and miss as to which rom has it working without issue.

7. shaddyyy

shaddyyy Well-Known Member

I find it weird, I'm using Wireless tether 2.0 but I cannot connect to it properly. It would connect but would have that yellow hazard symbol and I wont have internet. Currently using CM7, when I was using a sense rom with open garden wifi it would work sometimes

8. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest

What does the yellow hazard symbol say in the Notifications section?

9. bjanow

bjanow Android Expert

Usually means connected but no Internet.

10. HTCTundaBow

HTCTundaBow Well-Known Member

I just rooted my phone for that exact reason, to tether for free. I haven't flashed any roms "yet". I used Barnacle Tether app. It worked fine.

11. chuey2482

chuey2482 Newbie

Rooted with SoaBliss and Barnacle..

Works great. esp on 4G..

bjanow likes this.
  12. kevhow

kevhow Member

OK this is all great info. Seems to be pretty hit or miss depending on the ROM and version of the app that everyone is using.

This would probably be the way I'd want to go, at least at first. Just root the phone to gain the superuser access, then use the free tethering. I've never used Barnacle, but if it works, I'll use it....

I'm thinking once the new HTC phone comes out in November, the Thunderbolt will probably be dirt cheap. I'm really trying to avoid getting sucked in by one of these fancy new $300 phones, because I know after a month I'll be using it just like I use my phone now.

I thought I had read somewhere that Verizon was cracking down on people using the tethering apps without paying for the tethering service. Is that true?? And how would they know how I'm using the phone? I've never had an issue with my older phones (Eris and Droid1)

13. bjanow

bjanow Android Expert

Wireless tether any version doesn't work for me. VZW will crack down if you hammer the tether connection with huge data draw, otherwise you should be fine. Barnacle is the only tether app I found that works. Much thanks to Cheuy!

14. milenko

milenko Newbie

Huh, I had no idea people had trouble with wireless tether. I've used CM7, Liquid AOSP and sense ROMs, and also Shiftsense and tether has worked perfectly is each ROM.

I just use the built-in tether option - Settings, Wireless and Networks, Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot.

15. chuey2482

chuey2482 Newbie

No worries.. glad its working for you..

16. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert

Wireless tether 2.0.7 works perfectly for me. Never had an issue with it. If I go to a higher version (yellow symbol) it doesn't work.

17. bjanow

bjanow Android Expert

Yeah, that's the one I have and it always worked for me too. Until recently that is. But Barnacle works right out of the gate.. at least for me.

18. shaddyyy

shaddyyy Well-Known Member

do you have to have a certain kernel? For some reason it doesn't work for me on CM7

19. xeno2011

xeno2011 Well-Known Member

+1

20. dragonsamus

dragonsamus Android Enthusiast

I'm rooted with stock GB and tethering works perfect for me. I use Wifi Tether (yellow symbol). One thing different between Wireless Tether (green symbol) and Wifi Tether is when using Wifi Tether go into settings and check "routing fix". It didn't work for me until I did that.

alicia4065 and EinZtein like this.
  21. gnwes

gnwes Newbie

what are you basing statement on?

22. alicia4065

alicia4065 Newbie

:D This work for me I've been using my Droid X since I couldn't get this to work on my Thunderbolt.

23. otter

otter Well-Known Member

What is considered a huge data draw?

24. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

25. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I have been averaging 10+ GB a month since i have had my TB

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews