• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wireless tethering...What the heck am I doing wrong!?

clutchAbuse

Oct 17, 2011
So I've owned several rooted Android devices over the years and have yet to see wifi tethering be reliable, or even work past a few minutes. Most times it just sits there spinning it's wheels until eventually the connection aborts.

Currently I'm running a triumph with CM7 installed and am having the same result with several different tethering apps.

I see people talking all the time about how they tether constantly and even play games like WoW over their data connections.

WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING WRONG HERE!?

I find it strange that this just never works for me, even with different phones running different ROMS on different carriers.

I live in San Jose Ca so it's not like i'm out the boonies either!

Well i'm just putting it short, if you need more help, just ask. Use Barnacle WiFi Tether from the market, in setting of BWT check the skip wpa_supplicant, ok, your good from the phone side from there. Now you have to change the MTU of your laptop to 1450, this part where you have to change the MTU is a problem unique to the Triumph out of android smartphones. There is a .exe application over at HowardForums Virgin Mobile android phones section, made by the user PrimeTech to change the MTU for you. Then start wifi, connect and you will be good.

Edit: As you probably know, but tethering is against Virgin Mobile's TOS. And if you play a high-paced graphical game like WoW, your gonna lag like hell. Or at least, tested, I only get around 19 - 35 kb during regular hours.

Upvote 0
Well i'm just putting it short, if you need more help, just ask. Use Barnacle WiFi Tether from the market, in setting of BWT check the skip wpa_supplicant, ok, your good from the phone side from there. Now you have to change the MTU of your laptop to 1450, this part where you have to change the MTU is a problem unique to the Triumph out of android smartphones. There is a .exe application over at HowardForums Virgin Mobile android phones section, made by the user PrimeTech to change the MTU for you. Then start wifi, connect and you will be good.

Edit: As you probably know, but tethering is against Virgin Mobile's TOS. And if you play a high-paced graphical game like WoW, your gonna lag like hell. Or at least, tested, I only get around 19 - 35 kb during regular hours.

I'll give that a try later tonight!

Upvote 0
I didn't see he had cm7 installed....

"Currently I'm running a triumph with CM7 installed and am having the same result with several different tethering apps."

I use the Wireless Tether Beta and it works really well. I didn't change any of my settings and i use my laptop or even my xbox 360 to play online. Definitely a plus when you need it. I also have used the bluetooth tether and that works well also.

Upvote 0
For utilizing bluetooth tethering with your ROM, do you recommend the 'Wireless Tether for Root Users" app?

For bluetooth tether, you only need to enable bluetooth on the phone, then under bluetooth settings, make the device discoverable. Then on Windows 7 (not sure of other OS's) open "Devices and Printers" from the start menu, and in the upper left corner of that window is an "Add a device" button. Click that to pair your phone and computer. Once that has finished, you should see a listing for Triumph under Devices in that Devices and Printers window. Right-click the Triumph and select "connect as" and then choose "access point"

You may need to install bluetooth drivers for your computer, if so, just look up "windows 7 bluetooth driver [manufacturer]" and input your laptop manufacturer's name

Reactions: TheBritton
Upvote 0
What I used that worked for me was just download z4root from 4Shared, root it, reboot, download Barnacle Tether (available in the market), give it Superuser capabilities, click start and let it do its thing. I don't know what you guys are all talking about. Sounds complicated. Rooting my device and tethering my connection was as easy as a couple clicks of a button.

Upvote 0
Barnacle is ok and works well but I don't believe it knows about the MSS clamping, which means you need to deal with it at the tethered device end.

The nice thing about the Bluetooth tether is that it's internal to the operating system and thus can't be "killed" in a low memory situation, and is also the lowest-overhead option. In addition Bluetooth is MUCH more power-friendly than Wifi (by a factor of about 10) which gets important if you want to run tethering while not cabled to external power. Finally, Bluetooth is inhernetly encrypted and being very short-range is more secure than Wifi, especially ad-hoc Wifi.

Bluetooth tethering is only available on CM7 however.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones