• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wireless (WiFi) Question & Hello

Hi, everyone... Just signed up for an account here though have hit this forum a couple of times through google while looking for answers and reviews.

My gear: I'm using a Samsung Captivate on the AT&T network. I'm satisfied with my service, etc in my home area.

However, I'm traveling to visit my brother in Monterrey, CA next week and he's warned me that mobile phone service where he lives isn't stellar. He does have a 3G microcell, but has mentioned it's become spotty as well. I don't know if it's configured properly or if the internet service it's attached to is brilliant or not.

The question I have is simple: are there alternatives I can look at to maintaining my voice/text messaging features (via WiFi/any options) while I'm out there? It's possible that I'll have no problems, but I would prefer not to be in a communication vacuum for a whole week.

Thanks.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones