1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips with technology today..

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kylecummins, Jan 1, 2012.

1. kylecummins

kylecummins Android Expert
    None

Dec 11, 2011
    Union Member
    Canada
    They got juicepacks for iphones, lifeproof cases you can submerge in water etc

Can someone not make a case with an SD slot that would give you some extra space?

And yes im on the 16gb version, cloud storage is fine for pictures, videos, and the odd document. However google music swallows data faster then a teenager with water at a rave and I wouldnt mind a little more space for apps/music.

Is thier an option like this out there or am I just crazy?

Advertisement

2. darkuni

darkuni Android Enthusiast
    None

The phone would need to be able to read USB Mass Storage devices, which it does not - and you would need a port to do so.

I haven't stored music locally on my device since I started using Subsonic. I set aside 250MB for "local storage" and Subsonic handles the "housekeeping" automatically.

I believe in the cloud - as long as *I* have complete control over it.

3. kylecummins

None

Dec 11, 2011
    Union Member
    Canada
    But if your on the go, thats pretty data consuming, no?

4. darkuni

None

Well, if I didn't have an unlimited plan - I'd be worried about it. :)

BUT .. that's the cool thing about Subsonic. It DOES do intelligent caching - so if you listen to say, the same playlist for working out at the gym in the morning - you won't be streaming that playlist every day - it will probably stay cached forever.

Plus, you can tweak Subsonic's streaming to the quality you want - so if you're concerned with bandwidth usage, you can ratchet back on that quality until you strike the perfect balance.

As a bonus, I can hit Subsonic at work or at my home desktop too (most music services are blocked at work through their proxy server). :)

5. kylecummins

None

Dec 11, 2011
    Union Member
    Canada
    I have 12gb of data between me and my girlfriends iphone 4s, we are both on WIFI when at home, and I'm on WI-FI at work, so I guess I should probably stop worrying about the data.

6. darkuni

None

Heh .. probably ... I'd consider myself a power bandwidth hog, and I use under 3GB a month typically.

7. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Male
    Computer Programmer
    The other thing, is you would have to get both the case manufacturers and phone companies to work together on it, since otherwise, you would need a case that you'd have to plug into the microUSB port on the phone. You'd need contacts specially created for it, or a longer/wider case that snaps into the port, and has a separate one to plug power into. With all the cloud storage, and even with the Nexus and the USB tether option for storage, I imagine it's low priority to come up with such a solution. Not that it wouldn't be viable and ideal for some, but I don't think it would be such a demand to warrant the development across so many models.

Tags: