• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

With this CIQ mess, I checked my phone. not there, but I found something else.... Wtf is Keytracer?

It has access to just about everything, and I can't find a way to remove it.

Gng6s.jpg

RJ31B.jpg

BDsY0.jpg

sbEU8.jpg

Does anyone else have this?

Does anyone know what this is?

Go to Settings>> Applications>> Manage Applications>> All to see if you have it.

i has it. All Indulges do, AFAIK
And it seems to be an integral part of touchWiz as well, so all Samsung devices have it...

See this xda link for it's presence being noted on the Epic: [Files & Guide] All *.apks & Framework / Apps safe to remove - xda-developers

Nobody seems to actually knows what it does, at least not that I can find readily on Google, but I did find this app permissions list on a University of Colorado's CS website, which lists it as having "INJECT_CODE" permission, whatever that means.
https://csel.cs.colorado.edu/~luje3922/SecurityTest/androidAppPerms.html
I've saved that page in my local Android folder, just in case that link goes dead...

for the inquisitive mind in all of us, the full apk name of the keytracer app is
com.android.keytracer, and no, you won't find it on the market!

Upvote 0
AndroidxGuy, if this is a rootkit, you wouldn't be able to tell if it's running by the usual means, since the OS itself wouldn't know the difference. Notice, I did say IF. It's still not known if this is not just a nice benign app to help touchwiz be more "touchwizzy"...

I don't think that it has any legitimate purpose. I've had the app frozen with Titanium Backup since yesterday afternoon. I have rebooted the phone a few times since then, and I have still not noticed anything running awry. The phone seems fine.

I also can't see a reason that a legitimate app would be named "keytracer," but on the other hand, why would they name a malicious app "keytracer"?

Also, if it was just a part of TouchWiz, why would it need permission to do everything?

This whole thing makes no sense to me.

Upvote 0
And our android 1984 saga continues ...

Is this part of all Samsungs? Or just the Epic / galaxy line of phones?
How long has this been in Samsung phones?...
the answer to this and other paranoid questions will be revealed. When the whole government/corporate spying establishment crumbles under the weight of our inquisitive and prying minds!
stay tuned! ... (cue ominous music)

Upvote 0
I have the indulge R910 with Basix and I just seen that I also have it on my phone. I went to /system/app/ and found it there so I held it dwn and pressed move, I moved it onto my sd card because I didnt want to risk deleting it without knowing exactly what it is. So far I have not had any issues since moving it about 15mins ago, I did have the option to delete with r/w access though.

Upvote 0
I've had my Android since Christmas 2011. Because of what I read here (btw, y'all are fantastic) I'm vigilant in monitoring all apps on my phone. 2 hours ago I found a new app, Keytracer, that is only found in "All Apps" not under "downloaded". This app was NOT there before. Also over the last 3 or 4 days everytime I check on "running" apps maps and voicesearch are always on and I always force stop. What is this app? It won't allow me to uninstall. I haven't rooted yet. Kind of intimated by it so if y'all have advice on rooting for dummies I would be appreciative.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones