• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Witstech A81-E

daredavid

Jul 7, 2010
I open this thread about the device in object, because i haven't found until yet.

It looks like a nice device with good advertisted specs, so i bought one from JTShop today for 200$.

Declared specs are :

Processor: ARM TI OMAP3 cortex A8
Memory : 256MB , support MicroSD Card
Memory for Temporary Storage : 256MB Flash (NAND)
Operating System: English Windows CE 6.0 / Android OS 2.1 Preview (only a test version )
Audio: Stereo Audio CODEC
Audio Outputs:
Internal Speakers: Internal stereo speakers .
Wireless: On-board wireless 802.11b/g module.
LCD Screen: The LCD Display is a 7.0" full color, 800 x 480 resolution
LED backlighting with widescreen 16:9 format.
Touch Overlay: Surface resistive, 80% transmittance.
Cooling: Convection
USB: One installer accessible mini USB 2.0 OTG port
GPS:built-in GPS module
Language: English
Package include: 1 x A81 E , 1 x user manual , 1 x car charger , 1 x Battery , 1 x plastic case , 1x DC Charger
Gift Pack: 1x Battery

Oh !! And yesterday Witstech has given out the Android 2.2 firmware, that i have already downloaded, this is interesting ! :)

A81 E Android 2.2 English Version Firmware Download[ά

i have just been looking at this device online too. there was a good video review of it here: WITS A81-E - First Android 2.2 Tablet on the Market

the software seems very fast, though the reviewer does say that the ROM is still under heavy development. Marketplace is not working and some apps don't work like Maps. Typing looked ok on it too which I am somewhat interested in.

Let us know when you get this one.

Edit: what turned me off mostly was that videos and music were not playing correctly the reviewer said. I think I would need to see the manufacturers put their back into it and fix up the software before I could purchase.

Upvote 0
This is the one that I've narrowed down as my top pick too. I've read about issues with the firmware, but they are updating it right?

And a question about this one, is how well does it display PDFs? This will be one of my biggest uses, and I know that there are apps for it, but are they readable on the 7" screen? I 'd prefer the 7" over a 10" for size, but I need to be able to read it.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I also have the A81-E. The 2.2 firmware works very well, they fixed several things. Music plays properly as far as I can tell. Still doesn't have google apps installed and there is a Rumor that the next release will fix GPS. Now if they can fix BT as well, this will be a awesome gadget. I mostly use mine for just playing around, I bought it for the GPS function to carry in my truck. Am looking forward to a fully functional firmware. It appears as though they are working very diligently on the firmware to make everything work.
The GPS rumor can be seen here:
Chinese Digitals Community - Android 2.2 0730 For A81E : Android - Page 9

Upvote 0
I've found this same unit from several sellers, anyone used any of them?

Mp4nation.net has it for $200 with free shipping. No word yet if it includes GPS module.

Aliexpress.com (Lin Chang's store) has it for $211 with shipping. I've messaged about the GPS, since it's in the title but not the specs. *update* GPS is a $10 option, $221 shipped.

or, can the GPS module be purchased seperately?

Thanks, brews.

Upvote 0
JT is 200 with GPS, plus shipping is normally 28 to aus. Cheaper than the A81 was for me nearly a year ago.

mp4nation seems the cheapest if you can wait until the end of the month + the times it takes him to get around to shipping.

If you can trust aliexpress, they seem the best bet for instant cheap satisfaction if GPS is not required. I paid $10 extra for my GPS.

Upvote 0
I ordered mine from merimobiles and had the GPS option added. It was delivered relatively quick, and when ever I email them questions, they are quick to reply. They also send out email updates to let you know that new firmwares have been released.

I'm actually gonna buy this tablet either from merimobiles or from mp4nation.com. Mp4nation does load them up with custom ROMs before they ship them out.

Could you post a review once you receive this? Appreciate it!

Thanks
R

Reactions: skycop51
Upvote 0
I ordered one from mp4nation since I won't need it until mid September, and it was nice because I paid in CAD so I don't get dinged 3% from the credit card co. or PayPal.

If there's not many other reviews when I do get it, I'll post one. This tablet has some odd limitation, but it appears to perform well where I want it to. I just hope someone writes a driver for a wii or ps3 controller since it has bluetooth, and then it might be a kick-ass portable game player.

Upvote 0
My A81 left the seller country on 12.08, still not received yet.
I don't care about the no-auto rotate of the device, since i use it for ebooks and not for playing games.
I've read somewhere that gps module is working on android 2.2, and Igo 8.x was released for android device, so it's worth giving a try, even if i don't use the A81 as gps navigator :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones