1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

WMP 12 wont upload FLAC file to Tablet/Phone

Discussion in 'Music & Media' started by cdikland, Apr 10, 2013.

1. cdikland

cdikland Newbie

Ok. so both my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 tablet and my Galaxy S3 phone will play flac formatted files without any issues. WMP 12 on my Win 7 PC will play the same files as well. But here is the problem.

I used WMP to create playlists containing both flac and mp3 files which I then want to synch/upload to my external SD card of my tablet. Note that these playlists only contain a fraction of all my FLAC files. The entire collection would not fit on a SD card. Anyway....

WMP will only upload the mp3 format files and produces an error (format not supported.....) for each flac file within the playlist. Like I said above, these files will play on the tablet.

Copying each file contained in the playlist would be too time consuming. Some1 suggested mediamonkey but it would not read my wmp playlists. Itunes is not an option as it does not support flac files..

Any1 have any luck synching wmp playlists wit android devices??

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I'm almost certain WMP will only sync formats that are native to WMP and Windows, which are MP3, MP4, WMA, etc. FLAC is not one of them, and neither is Ogg Vorbis. WMP won't even play FLAC, not without an additional third party codec add-on. Presumably you've installed a FLAC compatible codec into Windows, that's why WMP can play them. But it won't sync them, it's only syncing the MP3s.

You might want to try something like Winamp instead.

3. cdikland

cdikland Newbie

Ah but here is the kicker.... I take the sd card out of the tablet and insert it into the PC card reader. With the Android no longer in the loop, I then start WMP and ask it to synch to the sd card. Worked like a charm except it didnt move the playlists. Its like WMP is trying to be helpful and saying "Oh wait, these type of files wont play on an android" :D

mikedt likes this.
  4. Demache

Demache Android Expert

That's probably exactly it. Another example of trying to idiot proof programs. Even when you know better.

5. Qlisacel

Qlisacel Lurker

It is quite normal that WMP 12 will not upload FLAC files as according to Microsoft, Windows Media Player does not support playing Free Lossless Audio Codec (.flac). To play FLAC in Windows Media Player and upload FLAC to phones, it seems that we need to convert FLAC to Windows Media Player supported file formats WAV, MP3 and more.Find a solution by typing "How to Easily Solve Cannot Play FLAC in Windows Media Player?" in Google to get it.

6. BlackTofu

BlackTofu Newbie

I think WMP can't recognize FLAC files