• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nancy_B

Feb 26, 2011
hii,
i found lot's of videos and topics talkin about upgrading the system for xperia x10
what i know is that the latest thing that was officialy released was the android 2.1
but i saw a video a couple of days ago and the phone was looking totally different than mine (i mean the system)
and i did ask how the system got to be looking like this .. and the answer was i need to download cm6 by wolfbreak .. i don't really get this
so i have some questions and i'd really appreciate if someone can answer me and help me understand this well
(indetail plz cause i'm not so good at this stuff)
1- what is wolfbreak? and what is cm6?
2- how can i download this on my phone?
3- what would that do to my existing settings and apps?
4- how can i back up my apps and contacts?
5- is it ok to upgrade while the upgrade isn't officialy released?
6- whould that be harmful to the phone?
7- if i don't like it .. can i restore my old system back?
8- is it better to wait until the official release?
I know this is too much .. but i'd really love if i can figure this stuff out .. thank u so much in advance

hii,
i found lot's of videos and topics talkin about upgrading the system for xperia x10
what i know is that the latest thing that was officialy released was the android 2.1
but i saw a video a couple of days ago and the phone was looking totally different than mine (i mean the system)
and i did ask how the system got to be looking like this .. and the answer was i need to download cm6 by wolfbreak .. i don't really get this
so i have some questions and i'd really appreciate if someone can answer me and help me understand this well
(indetail plz cause i'm not so good at this stuff)
1- what is wolfbreak? and what is cm6?
2- how can i download this on my phone?
3- what would that do to my existing settings and apps?
4- how can i back up my apps and contacts?
5- is it ok to upgrade while the upgrade isn't officialy released?
6- whould that be harmful to the phone?
7- if i don't like it .. can i restore my old system back?
8- is it better to wait until the official release?
I know this is too much .. but i'd really love if i can figure this stuff out .. thank u so much in advance

Oh god. That is alot of questions.

Don't know what wolfbreak is. CM6 and a ton of other custom ROMs are here

XPERIA X10 Android Development - xda-developers

It is a process to install a custom ROM. You need to:
-root and flash phone by following instructions here:
http://androidforums.com/x10-all-things-root/272949-flashtool-guide-how-n00bies.html
-then root again just in case
-install busybox
-install xRecovery
-make sure you can boot into xRecovery then copy a custom ROM on your SDCard and install the custom ROM in xRecovery

It would completely wipe the phone clean. (maybe not some stuff on the SDcard)

Do a backup using Android software. Using your gmail account it backs up contacts and whatever else you set. For backing up apps, either just reinstall or use Titanium Backup....which you might need to root your phone first to fully back everything up.

As for the other questions....It is up to you. You will have to do some more reading to answer the other questions for yourself.

What you might be looking for might be a different loader....that changes a little without having to do any of that stuff.

Like this

LauncherPro for Android | AppBrain.com

or this ADW.Launcher | AppBrain Android Market

Or there might be a youtube video with more information on Wolfbreak and how to install it on an x10.

Upvote 0
Oh god. That is alot of questions.

Don't know what wolfbreak is. CM6 and a ton of other custom ROMs are here

XPERIA X10 Android Development - xda-developers

It is a process to install a custom ROM. You need to:
-root and flash phone by following instructions here:
http://androidforums.com/x10-all-things-root/272949-flashtool-guide-how-n00bies.html
-then root again just in case
-install busybox
-install xRecovery
-make sure you can boot into xRecovery then copy a custom ROM on your SDCard and install the custom ROM in xRecovery

It would completely wipe the phone clean. (maybe not some stuff on the SDcard)

Do a backup using Android software. Using your gmail account it backs up contacts and whatever else you set. For backing up apps, either just reinstall or use Titanium Backup....which you might need to root your phone first to fully back everything up.

As for the other questions....It is up to you. You will have to do some more reading to answer the other questions for yourself.

What you might be looking for might be a different loader....that changes a little without having to do any of that stuff.

Like this

LauncherPro for Android | AppBrain.com

or this ADW.Launcher | AppBrain Android Market

Or there might be a youtube video with more information on Wolfbreak and how to install it on an x10.

Wolfbreak is the user name of the one best custom rom cookers over at XDA. CM6 is what type of rom he released.

I second the advice of beau420 to the OP Do lots of research before attempting to install custom roms. It's a frustrating process if you don't understand the steps.

Good luck! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones