1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Wondering How To Clear The Phone Number Icons When I Open Phone To Dial

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by PGB1213, May 25, 2016.

1. PGB1213

PGB1213 Member
    None

May 20, 2016
    Hello All!
    I apologize if this is a very simple task, but I got totally lost searching, for how to do what I am trying to do. That's probably because I can't figure out the name for what I am looking at. The phone is ZTE Maven using Android 5.0 & connected to AT&T.

When on the home screen & I push the telephone handset icon to make a call, there are several boxes presented on the next screen. Each has a name from my contact list on it. If I touch any of the boxes, the number for that contact is dialed. The top of the screen has headings for Speed Dial, Recent Calls & Contacts. Those mystery boxes appear under Speed Dial. The numbers are not assigned to speed dial numbers on the phone.

The part I can't figure out is how to delete these. I can clear the call log, but these remain. The next odd part is some of them are numbers I have called and some are numbers I have never called from this phone.

I tired a long press on an icon, but it simply dials the number. I tested pushing the menu vertical dots at each box, but that only brings up the Contact List information. I tried a deletion of one by using the vertical dots, but it deletes the entry from the contact book.

Today's Mysteries:
    How do I clear these from that screen? Why are some of them numbers I have never called? And what is the proper term for this group of icons?

Thank You very much for sharing information & helping me learn about this phone & the Android system. I sure appreciate your help!

Paul

Advertisement

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Android Expert

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    That's ZTE stock dialer app screen, the boxes are by default your "speed dial" contacts, you can assign photos to those boxes by choosing "contacts" and finding the corresponding numbers, then choosing a picture for each contact, which you will need to download from Facebook or such. As far as the dialer screen, there's not much you can change without rooting your phone, or installing a different dialer

PGB1213 likes this.
  3. PGB1213

PGB1213 Member
    None

May 20, 2016
    Thanks Dannydet for taking time to reply with the good information. I appreciate your explanations.

It seems that I didn't explain very well in my question at all. I apologize for that.
    After reading your reply it seems to me that the screen I get upon opening the phone application is not the default one.
    I somehow managed to accidentally change it to this screen with the mystery list of numbers called & received.

My "Mystery Screen" screen is doesn't have the speed dial numbers that I have assigned. (For Example: I've assigned the numeral 2 to dial a contact named Tom.) That entry is not on the mystery screen unless I have called Tom or he called me.
    The mystery screen has the calls I have made or received recently, plus a few numbers from my contacts list that I have not called.

It is odd to me that this particular screen is under the title "Speed Dial" but does not have my assigned speed dial entries. Instead it has the last called & received numbers, plus the mystery numbers.

I thought clearing the call log would ditch them, but no luck. So, I backed up the phone in case I wrecked something & goofed around a bit this morning:

First- As mentioned above, I figured out by accident that this mystery screen is not the screen that usually opens on a phone when you press the phone icon, so that is certainly why my post question is confusing. I somehow managed to make that mystery screen the default screen when I open the phone icon. I'll try to figure out how to make the phone open to the real default screen next. (I hope) If I close phone from a different screen, it re-opens on the different screen I left it at. But if I turn the phone off & back on, it's back to the mystery screen.

Second- I learned by goofing around that apparently these mystery screen entries are really called "Frequents".
    To clear them:
    I pressed the phone icon
    Next, I tapped the 3 vertical dots (menu?) next to the text entry box at the top.
    In the drop down, I chose "Clear Frequents"
    Then I tapped OK on the pop up box.
    I closed the phone dialing application & re-opened it. The list was empty.

Maybe instead of the header "Speed Dial", is should be called "Frequents"?

Attached is a photo of the screen after I cleared it & made one call to my house. My home is not on an assigned speed dial. Later, after more calls are made & received, more numbers will appear.

Thanks Again for your help & sharing of knowledge. Piece by piece I'm learning Android. It's actually very nice to use so far.

Paul

Attached Files:

Jfalls63 likes this.
  4. Dannydet

Dannydet Android Expert

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    That exact screen is my exact ZTE phone dialer screen, the 3 headings, speed dial, recent calls, and contacts are the same as mine. Tap on the heading text, and it will switch to that info. As I said, its not a mystery screen, its the default phone app. It will always open that screen whenever you choose "phone".

PGB1213 likes this.
  5. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    I have a different device but that screen looks the same on mine. I know that you said you tried a longpress but on mine, if I longpress I can drag the icon around to re-order, or drag it up to the remove option above the icons.

Alternatively, if you tap the 3-dot menu up at the top right where it says "type a name or phone number" there is an option there to "clear frequents". That should take care of it.

Edit:
    I see that you already found the clear frequents option.

Also, I think that frequents are different than speed dial. Frequents auto-populate based on who you call and are a handy little icon to tap to quickly call someone. I think speed dial works as always and is assigned to numbers on the dialer keypad. IE: longpress number 2 to call home.

PGB1213 and Jfalls63 like this.
  6. PGB1213

PGB1213 Member
    None

May 20, 2016
    Thanks Guys!
    I guess I misunderstood your reply, Dannydet due to my mental block when it comes to technology. I'm coming from a basic flip phone. The service provider said they are upgrading their network & my phone will cease to work, so they gave me a new smart phone. (Smart Phone plus Numb Skull equals Trouble!)

I got confused between the Speed Dial entries that I manually assign to be long press numbers on the keypad & those "Frequents" that auto-populate this screen. The confusion is because they are under the header called "Speed Dial", which technically they are- just not manually added by me. (Once again- Numb Skull)

Thanks Brian706 for your reply & details. I tired what you mentioned about dragging the icons around. That's pretty cool. I can re-order them, but to remove one I have to do the 3-Dot Clear Frequents. I get to choose from the list, so that is spiffy. You are right that this list will probably be quite handy- Like when the signal drops.

Thanks Again Dannydet & Brain706. I sure appreciate your guidance.
    Enjoy This Day!
    Paul