• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WonderMedia WM8650 tablet Android v2.2

JerryDW

Lurker
Nov 5, 2011
Just found this forum so not sure where I should put this question. Hope someone can help.
Just got this (five days ago) WonderMedia WM8650 tablet and it has been working fine. I got a 32GB SanDisk chip for it today and when I plugged it in it ask me to format the chip. I went to the SD window and hit the format SD card selection. The Tablet worked for a few seconds, returned to the home page, and then the screen went black followed in a moment with the Loading screen (blue word 'loading' on a black background and stayed on that screen. After a while I did a forced stop (power button held down for 5 seconds) and the tablet turned off. I then turned the tablet on and got the green robot start up screen....but this time the robot looks around and then up. Next a little UFO drops down from the top of the screen and the robot stands on the top of the UFO and turns slowly around and around. This continues on forever and that is all the tablet does. Does anyone know anything about this or how I get my system to boot up? I have tried taking the new chip out, leaving it in, rebooting, and nothing seems to help. I have not modified the tablet in anyway except to download a few apps (e-book reader, several books, This day in history) which have been working with no problem. This is my first experience with a tablet and so know next to nothing about them except how to run the software apps...

I hope someone can help....else I may just have a oversize paperweight on my hands....
confused.png

Should say that this has the Android 2.2 OS with Kernal 2.6.32 and a Build Number v 1.5.3

Chanchan05: I did that. Removed the card and booted the tablet up. Same problem. I also let the battery run down, plugged it back into the charger and tried the reboot with the same result.

Does anyone know what the spinning robot standing on what looks like a UFO means....that is as far as the boot process goes and just hangs there for as long as I leave it plugged into the charger. The boot just showed the robot moving around a moment and then went to the Loading screen for about 30 seconds then brought up the home screen....

Upvote 0
Thanks jerofld: Found the reset button...there are two small pin holes on the edge of the unit. One of them has a switch which shuts down the unit. I reboot and still get the spinning robot on the UFO and the unit does no go any further in the boot process. Funny thing, watching the robot as it starts it appears to drop down, extend its legs, arms, and other appendages then turns its head, to both sides as if it is looking for something, shrugs its shoulders then looks up as if in fear as the UFO drops down. The robot then jumps up and lands on top of the UFO and start to spin. Almost like it is looking for the software and can't find it.
Anyone ever see that before?
Thanks

Upvote 0
Bought a new SD micro chip (2GB) and checked it out on my desktop computer. It works just fine. The chip I had (32GB) does not show up on my desktop computer so I assume it is a bad chip. I plugged the new 2GB in to my MID WonderMedia MW8650 in the hope that it would continue the boot and repair the problem. No such luck. Still the same error. Anyone have any suggestions other than dump the tablet in the trash and get a new one? Thank, Jerry

Upvote 0
The spinning robot is just the loading animation for the ROM (version of Android) you have. It sounds like you are stuck in what is called a "boot loop". One way to solve this us to try a different ROM. You can get one from either a website called slatedroid [ROM] - (Universal) - Modroid-v8 based on 1.5.1 by wicknix - SlateDroid.com or techknow HcH'z TechKnow [www.HcH.net.tc] - View forum - WM8650 1.5.3 Universal Uberoid HoneyCombMOD
There are instructions how to do this on the site. If you need further help on how to do this let me know.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones