1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Won't charge / Grey Battery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JasonScando, Dec 29, 2013.

1. JasonScando

JasonScando Lurker
    None

Dec 29, 2013
    I have AT&T, Galaxy S4, that I've only had since 3-4 weeks ago. A few nights ago, two things happened: my phone (in its case) fell off my bed onto a carpeted floor, and, the phone died overnight. This was the 1st, maybe 2nd time that the phone had completely died.

Regardless of which of the two of those caused this, my phone began exhibiting bizzare charging behavior the following day. I have two stock wall chargers, another non-OEM USB charger, and an amazon kindle charger. First, nothing but the amazon kindle charger would work. Then, after unplugging the phone and re-plugging it, that wouldn't work either. But, after turning the phone off and then on again, the amazon charger would work. After unplugging it again, no chargers whatsoever would work, regardless of restarting or Shut Off + Turn On.

When any of these chargers was plugged in and the phone was on, absolutely nothing would happen: no change to battery symbol, no note that USB is connected, etc. If the phone is off, and a charger plugged in, the phone would vibrate, a grey battery icon would appear, and then this cycle would repeat regularly every few seconds.

The next day, I tried removing the battery and putting it back in. After using a wall charger, the grey battery icon appeared once, then green; it was actually charging. Turned the phone on, it continued to charge. Unplugged it, replugged it, it continued to charge (to 100%). Later, while unplugged, the phone said "USB disconnected" (or "connected") when nothing was plugged in at all. Since then, nothing will work to charge the phone.

Finally, on googling I saw that the 4.3 update seems to have caused this for many people. Well, I was still using 4.2.2... I am updatng to 4.3 now to see if that (somehow) helps anything. Just wondering if the community knows what exactly is causing this apparently widespread problem, and what exactly will fix it -- it seems like there are multiple theories and multiple solutions per theory floating out there.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    With the charger connected, right?

The symptoms are all of a shorted charging port. Using a magnifying glass, a strong light and a pointed wooden toothpick, first make sure that the bar across the center of the port is in the center, not bent to touch one of the sides of the shell. (If it is bent, VERY CAREFULLY bend it back with the point of the toothpick.)

Then look for dirt it may have picked up from the floor. Tiny little balls of dirt. Roll each one out CAREFULLY.

3. Zangetxu

Zangetxu Newbie
    None

Dec 26, 2013
    actually i encountered the same problem like 2/3 months back, my cellphone fall. didnt die but after that it wasnt charging, even if it showed it was charging, it wasnt. I was worried, and planned to go for warranty but then i noticed that there is something in the charging port. I used a pin and removed it. it was a tiny miny particle of chips ( *facepalm* i know ) that was causing this problem, removing that solved my problem.