• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Won't charge

I plugged in my wife's completely dead NC with CM7 on it two days ago. After 10-15 minutes it booted up on it's own.

Something's wrong there, dead outlet, bad charger or bad cord. Can you plug a phone into the NC cord or charger to make sure it works?

If you try to charge it via the computer, it'll take at least 4x longer, but you might try that. You might see if you have another USB cord and try that. The NC cord is a bit fragile I've heard.

Is it still under warranty?

Upvote 0
It is still under warranty, b&n told me to bring it into a store so they could see if its the chord only or the unit that is bad. It's the unit, it won't charge with any of the dozen microsd cables i have. With my luck, their cable will work and it will boot into CM7, and they will be like: WTF.

Upvote 0
Does that message come up when plugged in or do you have to press the power button to get it?

When you plugged into your computer via usb or with a different cable, did you also let it charge for a couple hours?

Sounds like you have two choices, return it to B&N and take the risk OR continue to play with it for a couple days and see if you can resolve it. Hopefully someone else with jump in with more suggestions.

I doubt your CM7 rom has anything to do with the problem, but a hard-nosed B&N employee may see it differently.

Upvote 0
Sounds like you're not using the Nook Color's cable and charger.

They are a matched set.

You cannot use the Nook cable without the Nook charger, or the Nook charger without the Nook cable, and expect the unit to charge correctly, if at all.

If you do not use both the Nook Color cable and matching power supply, you will only pass 500mA to the Nook Color.

500mA will not even power the Nook Color, let alone charge it.

When using standard USB charging, I've read reports of it taking well over a day to boot from a depleted battery. It will help to power it down cold after it boots with standard USB, so it will charge faster. It cannot charge off of standard USB if the device is on, there just isn't enough power in USB.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones