• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Won't send MMS

pappy53

Jan 15, 2010
North Carolina
I am coming back to a S3 from iPhone. One problem that I have had with previous Androids (Razr, Razr HD, Razr Maxx, S3) is sending pics and videos as MMS. I have tried the stock app, GoSMS, Handcent SMS, and Chomp SMS, all with the same result. If I take a picture, or shoot a 5-second video, and try to send either, I get a message that says the file is too large. What do I need to do, as I must have something set wrong? I have set video resolution to VGA in the past, but it didn't help.

i think theres a limit in size of the file depending on carrier so if youre taking a pic youre gona send as mms, change the resolution in camera settings lower so the file contains less data.
Im not a mms user but maybe theres an app that can condense or lower the resolution of existing pics?

EDIT: if it isnt an issue for iphones, i wonder why it is with Android? Cant be carrier related then surely. Ive never had an iphone so i duno..

Upvote 0
i think theres a limit in size of the file depending on carrier so if youre taking a pic youre gona send as mms, change the resolution in camera settings lower so the file contains less data.
Im not a mms user but maybe theres an app that can condense or lower the resolution of existing pics?

EDIT: if it isnt an issue for iphones, i wonder why it is with Android? Cant be carrier related then surely. Ive never had an iphone so i duno..

It is absolutely not an issue for iphones. iOS compresses them with no reduction in quality. Seems like Android could do the same thing.

Upvote 0
It is absolutely not an issue for iphones. iOS compresses them with no reduction in quality. Seems like Android could do the same thing.

Actually not Android. Any phone other than iPhone would have the carrier limit imposed regardless of the OS. There is always a reduction in quality with any compression, it may just not be noticeable.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Maybe thats the problem then.. iOs is only run on apple phones so its in their interest to have a server that compresses mms for their customers (but they [the customer] probably indirectly pay for that service in the price of the phone) whereas android is open source and anyone can use it on their device.
The flip-side to that is (as GT said) multi-platform apps and services can so easily be intigrated into an android phone that its easy to just take,upload,copy url, paste the URL of say a pic on Dropbox to anyone and theyl be able to view it :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones