• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Won't sleep

I just traced down the problem (on my phone, anyways).
I've had the up time/awake time problem twice. The first time was last week, after installing several apps, including itag. After discovering my battery draining very quickly, I uninstalled all the apps I had recently downloaded and the problem disappeared.
Yesterday i re-installed itag. Today I noticed my awake time and uptime were the same again.
Before uninstalling it, I reset the timer by turning off/on the phone. Then force-closed calendar, I've heard some people say that solved their problem. No difference, the phone stayed awake. I then uninstalled itag again and the problem went away.

cliffs: if you have the uptime/awake time problem and have itag installed, uninstall it!

Upvote 0
I've posted this on another thread, but those interested in an automatic monitor, check out my app I just published (.99) (search: Battery Detective or kenyu73).

Anyhow, better not "advertise" anymore before the admins kick me or something =p

BatteryDetective_notify.JPG

Upvote 0
i was having a problem with this over the past couple of days. phone simply wouldn't sleep. advanced task killer did the trick. i also downloaded the Spare Parts app, but i don't think it was nearly as helpful. the problem was that apps like BBC News and Cabsense NYC were running in the background when they didn't need to be. it wasn't major programs like Gmail or Calendar.

Upvote 0
Thanks! I found out my calendar was forcing my phone to never sleep. Now, if I kill the calendar as soon as the phone starts up my phone will sleep. After that I can open the calendar app and it will still allow the phone to sleep after that. Hopefully this will improve the abysmal battery life I have been getting.

Upvote 0
For me it was AccuWeather.com - Even with the app killed. Still kept the phone awake! I uninstalled and reinstalled to confirm. AccuWeather.com.
AccuWeather.com for Android

Most of these sleep problems are caused by apps. You just have to track it down. If you've been keeping an eye on your wake time, just start uninstalling the most recent apps. I recommend you use AppBrain Market Sync. http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.appspot.swisscodemonkeys.apps
This is a great app that coordinates with the website. You can view your installed apps by date and select apps to install and uninstall from the website.

Upvote 0
Thanks! I found out my calendar was forcing my phone to never sleep. Now, if I kill the calendar as soon as the phone starts up my phone will sleep. After that I can open the calendar app and it will still allow the phone to sleep after that. Hopefully this will improve the abysmal battery life I have been getting.

I have the same exact scenario going on. If I close the calendar, my phone will sleep normally. I can come back into the calendar later with no problems. Not sure if the situation is caused by an app, but I can live with closing the calendar when I come back from a reboot.

Upvote 0
FYI. I had the Battery indicator application running, and discovered it was that program that wasn't allowing my phone to sleep.

This was my issue as well. I stopped the service, removed the widget and re-added the widget and all is well

Again, to stop services go to

Settings > Applications > Running Services

Scroll to service and click and then STOP

You just need to figure out what service is running the same amount of time as your Awake Time (Not Uptime).

We should post a sticky, or somewhere where it will get seen, what the services are that are SUPPOSED to be running the same amount of time as uptime/awake time.

From what i can tell, the "normal" ones that run in the background that may be utilizing on as long as your Awake Time is (But not causing no sleep issues) are:

Calendar (ObexService) - Sync HTC Calendar w/ Google
Touch Input (Touch Input) - Obvious
Google (GtalkService) - Some say you need this for Sync to work properly. It doesnt drain battery or use CPU cycles so just leave it
Sync Service (SyncService) - Backup Manager?
TransactionService (SMS/MMS) - Leave it if you like to receive Texts..heh.
HTC Message Uploader (UploadMessageService) - This service allows the Market to check for updates to your installed programs.

Anything else MAY be the culprit. I've had this happen twice and one time it was the GMail Unread Service and this last time was the BatteryLife service.

In both cases i was able to stop the service, remove the widget and readd and i was back to normal. If that doesnt work, try uninstalling the program, checking to see if your phone sleeps, and if it does, reinstall. If it does not, then that program was not the culprit.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
I have the same exact scenario going on. If I close the calendar, my phone will sleep normally. I can come back into the calendar later with no problems. Not sure if the situation is caused by an app, but I can live with closing the calendar when I come back from a reboot.

How do you close the calendar app? My phone sometimes doesn't sleep. I'm not sure why.

Upvote 0
Mine comes and goes. I've gotten about 40-50 hours with it sleeping fine. I had to power off and back on today and it's back to sleeping again and probably will for a few more days. It seems to be a reoccurring thing after a few days but a power off and on fixes it.

Same here. Usually it stop sleeping every single night, but last night, for some reason, it was fine. I ordinarily have to reboot every morning. I submitted this to Verizon and HTC and have not heard back yet.

Upvote 0
Do you guys have some calendar add on?

I'm not sure why the stock calendar app would affect some and not others. Perhaps because its connected to an exchange server?

Nope. I had it connected to multiple Exchange and Gmail calendars. I still do. The factory reset resolved the issue....which kind of annoyed me off that they didn't even try to debug it and blamed it on an app when it was so clearly the OS. In fact, I have everything installed that I had before and don't have the problem.

HTC also indicated that they had never heard of such an issue, yet it is so prevalent here, I find that hard to believe.

Upvote 0
Do you guys have some calendar add on?

I'm not sure why the stock calendar app would affect some and not others. Perhaps because its connected to an exchange server?

I have no calendar add ons and no exchange. Only email on my device is my Gmail. All my other email accounts are forwarded to my Gmail.

I had been using my Incredible for a few weeks and never had any problems with uptime/awake time until about 3 days ago I did a factory reset and ended up with a bad battery drain and the same awake and up times. After doing a bit of reading and several soft resets trying to identify the problem I finally killed the calendar as advised here and rebooted the phone. Hasnt been a problem since.

Upvote 0
So, I accidentally came across what *might* be the "solution" to my issue.

I had the small HTC Calendar 4x1 widget on my home screen. About a week ago, I installed the Smooth Calendar widget and used it to replace the home screen widget. My phone sleeps as it should every night, when it used to stop in the middle of the night

Up time: 114:43:00
Awake time: 26:29:00

I haven't verified that it was the solution by readding the HTC widget, but I wanted to mention it as a highly likely issue.

Upvote 0
This issue is SO ANNOYING. My phone was sleeping fine but now I have the issue again. I don't know when it started exactly so I can't pinpoint the issue... I updated some games and apps and installed Dazzle which is just a power management widget that everyone seems to love and its not even "running" all the time.

Trying to detect what is keeping the phone awake seems impossible because if one app keeps it awake, other apps will remain awake as well. I probably have 12 or more apps all with the same time as my awake time so how can I tell which one is truly the culprit? This seems more like a software bug than an app problem as a relative's HTC Hero with newly updated 2.1 and many of the same apps has NEVER had this problem.

Upvote 0
This issue is SO ANNOYING. My phone was sleeping fine but now I have the issue again. I don't know when it started exactly so I can't pinpoint the issue... I updated some games and apps and installed Dazzle which is just a power management widget that everyone seems to love and its not even "running" all the time.

Trying to detect what is keeping the phone awake seems impossible because if one app keeps it awake, other apps will remain awake as well. I probably have 12 or more apps all with the same time as my awake time so how can I tell which one is truly the culprit? This seems more like a software bug than an app problem as a relative's HTC Hero with newly updated 2.1 and many of the same apps has NEVER had this problem.

This app was mentioned over in the EVO forums, but haven't tried it out yet. Looks like something that might help:

OS Monitor - Android app on AppBrain

Reactions: jprow507
Upvote 0
It's funny I remember seeing this post a while back and thinking I'm glad I don't have that issue. Then a few days ago my battery started draining like crazy. It was driving me nuts for several days. I had to keep it plugged at home, at work, and in the car. I tried turning everything off (which basically defeats the purpose of having this phone) and nothing helped. Then I noticed it wouldn't sleep, and figured that was the problem and went to work to get it fixed.

I finally got it fixed and now it works fine again, thankfully. Now I can leave on GPS, wifi, gmail sync, tons of widgets, live wallpapers, and just about what ever I want and the battery will barely drain at all when it's sleeping (which is the way it's supposed to be IMHO). Also, I'm not using any task manager/killer. It's nearly 5pm and my phone has been unplugged since this morning and I'm still at 76% with moderate use and that's fine with me. But I find myself constantly checking the awake time to make sure the phone is sleeping.

As to the OP. Have you tried doing a reboot on a clean fairly simple scene (not a lot of widgets, no live wallpaper, etc) and NOT using any task killers/managers? I can't be 100% certain but I think my issue might have been related to a widget that was depending on another process that was force closed, or was somehow interrupted by another process and just got stuck trying to update. Just turning everything off didn't work for me. Removing apps didn't work. Killing running tasks didn't work. Eventually, I cleaned out all my widgets from all seven screens leaving only links and folders, rebooted the device and found my issue was gone. I reloaded all the same widgets I had and the issue still didn't return, so I'm thinking it wasn't the widgets by themselves but something that made the widgets wig out.

As I said I don't run any task managers or killers. Though, I think I can trace the problem back to when I was playing in the system application manager cleaning out cache and stopping random applications that seemed to be hogging resources (won't do that again).

Upvote 0
So, I accidentally came across what *might* be the "solution" to my issue.

I had the small HTC Calendar 4x1 widget on my home screen. About a week ago, I installed the Smooth Calendar widget and used it to replace the home screen widget. My phone sleeps as it should every night, when it used to stop in the middle of the night

Up time: 114:43:00
Awake time: 26:29:00

I haven't verified that it was the solution by readding the HTC widget, but I wanted to mention it as a highly likely issue.

My replacement phone has the same issue in that every 12-36 hours it will randomly just stop sleeping correctly. I have all the same apps as my old phone. I don't really know what to do about it. I'm probably going to flash CM6 when it gets a little more stable, so maybe that will fix it. It's really frustrating and it's this type of problem that gives iPhone users valid ammunition.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones