1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Words not recognised in dictionary since upgrade to 4.1.2

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Aerodynamic750, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Aerodynamic750

Hi
    Since my Samsung Galaxy S2 updated Android to version 4.1.2 a few weeks ago, I

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. BDP3300

BDP3300 Newbie

When you type "Calum", prior to hitting the space bar, you should see it on the left, in orange, on that bar with the recommended words, while the ones on the right will be in white. Tap it, and then tap again to add it to dictionary.

Aerodynamic750 likes this.
  3. Aerodynamic750

Thanks BDP
    You are right, when I type the word "Calum" by typing it letter-by-letter, it does appear in orange on the left so I can select it. However, I use swype to input text, rather than tap each letter one-by-one and when I use swype the word Calum isn't recognised. It keeps offering me "Valium" instead (maybe not such a bad thing he he). That's why I was thinking it might have something to do with Swype but it's definitely a new problem since the upgrade to Android. Any thoughts please??

4. BDP3300

BDP3300 Newbie

If you add Calum to the dictionary by double tapping it after individually inserting each letter it shouldn't be an issue when using Swype. Just tested it out.

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Are you using the built in Swype keyboard or off the Play Store? If you were using the built-in version, it may have been upgraded and all the words were cleared. You'd have to re-add them again. Also, if you have been using a different keyboard before, note that each keyboard keeps separate dictionaries from each other, so if you add a word to Swype, it will not show up in the Samsung keyboard.

6. Aerodynamic750

Thanks for this. I switched to the built-in Samsung keyboard and enabled the "continuous Input" option (same as swype as far as I can see!!) and it's OK now. So is swype a 3rd party app then??

Many thanks for all your help
    Gaz