• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Workaround for BT ROM/Storage Memory Leak- Requires Root Access

elguapo76

Oct 24, 2009
Note: You will be deleting files from your phone so do this at your own risk. To the best of my knowledge these are waste/unreleased files caused by the bluetooth hanging in connecting mode but I take no responsibility if they are actually important and result in any damage(s).

This workaround requires that your root your phone. You will need to have super user access (su) where you see the # sign. We will simply be executing the following commands to list and delete the core.xxxx that we assume are the unreleased/waste files taking up space:

lists:
su
ls -al /data/btips

deletes:
su
rm /data/btips/core*

1. You will also need to install Better Terminal Emulator -Free from the apps store. Note: This app crashes on me when in landscape mode, so you might only be able to use it in portrait.

2. Open up Better Terminal. Press Menu > Preferences

3.(Optional) Turn on Volume Up shortcut and assign: su (enter key) ls -al /data/btips (enter key)

This will give you the ability to quickly list your files in the data/btips directory. Most of them will have 0 - 1002 beside them. This is the size. If you see something significantly larger it is probably an unreleased file waste file. This is only for your reference to view the files and is not really necessary for recovering your space. Next come the part where we actually delete them!

4. Turn on Volume Down shortcut and assign: su (enter key) rm /data/btips/core* (enter key)

5. Try it out. Go to Terminal screen. Press up to activate shortcut to list files(optional). Press down to delete them. If you don't have any unreleased/ waste files it will give you no such file notice obviously. My notice is cut off in portrait mode. These shortcuts will be active when you open the terminal app for quick list and delete. This allows you to manually but quickly recover your storage space.

Thanks to jonnythan for finding the diectory and files:
http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/23854?tstart=0

BRILLIANT! BRILLIANT! BRILLIANT!

Well done sir. Your solution was very easy to implement and I am now very happy.

I have been having this issue since the beginning. I have a Jabra BT530 Headset and no one has ever been to resolve this yet. I am on my third phone from the Sprint Store. I have contacted Sprint and HTC tech support many times and I had just about given up until I saw your post.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones