• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Workaround for Signal Issues

mush10

Mar 3, 2011
I posted in a number of threads I have been having major signal issues, gray bars, and no data connectivity. I was at the point of thinking I would have to return the phone. I ended up speaking with a BCS engineer I know through a friend. He mentioned to force it to CDMA only where I live. Since I have done this my connectivity has been flawless. I have not lost a connection at all.

He mentioned the Samsung is trying hard to grab the LTE signal (I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact it measures signal in 4G). Where I live (and where my signal was dropping the most) is surrounded by LTE areas. Literally in all directions the cities near me have LTE. I happen to live in between 3 metro areas and am waiting for my area to be filled in. Because of this my phone is constantly trying to grab a very weak 4G signal over a strong EVDO signal which is causing the data drops.

If you are in a strong LTE area there should be no issues and if you are in an EVDO only area without LTE near, there should also be no issues. However, as I mentioned the overlap areas seem to cause the issues. While not ideal, I recommend trying to force CDMA when you do not need data or you are in fringe areas. For me, this appears to be at least the short term fix until they can straighten out the radio/network issues. I guess the other advantage is our batteries will last longer as well. When you need data and are in a strong LTE area, turn it back on. Hopefully a good toggle will be made, so it is as easy as flipping Wifi on and off.

I hope this helps some of the people having issues.

Thanks for this. Its exactly what I plan on doing if I have LTE issues with my GNex.

I know the point of LTE is blazing speed 100% of the time, but the reality is its not always necessary.

Friend of mine just got a Droid RAZR and sure enough he was having funky goings on with LTE. Had full bars but no connectivity. This was the RAZR having these issues, so clearly not unique to the GNex. I told him how to switch to 3G only and he agreed LTE isnt always necessary for him.

Reactions: mush10
Upvote 0
I agree to OP's analysis on this matter. 4G/3G switching in Gnex in weak signal area seems a little rough and could lose data connection in the worst case. Because OS sees lower dBm, it will probably force phone to drop to 3G or 1X more than other phones. I think recent verizon network outages made things worse for some.

But I never experienced loss of 1X phone signal and it has been rock solid in 3G only mode. This 4G/3G switching will get better with updates.

Reactions: mush10
Upvote 0
I wanted to update this because I see a lot of new threads popping up regarding returning phone because of the signal. I am on my third day of keeping my phone locked to 3G with no signal problems whatsoever. It has essentially matched my 4S and Rezound in signal and usability since locked to 3G. When I need 4G or am in a solid area, I switch it on and it works. The good news, is this is probably a software issue that can be corrected.

If you take the mindset that this is a LTE phone and I won't leave it in 3G, than the phone is not for you. Otherwise by manually switching, you get all the goodness that is the Galaxy Nexus without the signal issues. Just think of LTE as Wifi for now and keep the best phone market in your pocket. As I said above, the battery life improves as well.

Good luck with your phones.

Upvote 0
I am about fed up with this phone, I really want to keep it coming from a T Bolt, but when I switch to CDMA only I lose data connect, it not only this phone the first one I had did the same so I took it back to the store. I have had 3 trouble tickets opened on this issue. I am out of data service more than I am in, The TBolt can be sitting right next to it with 3G going and all I have are grey bars.
I keep getting "there is an update coming" emails but I am worried I will be stuck with it after 14 Days and still no update.
Is anyone else having the same problem or is it just me or my area of KY.?

Upvote 0
I am about fed up with this phone, I really want to keep it coming from a T Bolt, but when I switch to CDMA only I lose data connect, it not only this phone the first one I had did the same so I took it back to the store. I have had 3 trouble tickets opened on this issue. I am out of data service more than I am in, The TBolt can be sitting right next to it with 3G going and all I have are grey bars.
I keep getting "there is an update coming" emails but I am worried I will be stuck with it after 14 Days and still no update.
Is anyone else having the same problem or is it just me or my area of KY.?

What area of KY? I was having very crappy data connectivity in central TN and Evansville, IN (borders northern KY) a few weeks ago when I was there, but no problems here in Eastern TN. I posted up awhile ago that this appears to be a very regional issue and that it helps explain why some users have no problems at all and others want to pull an Office Space on theirs.

Upvote 0
The Gnex (as is) has weaker radio reception (3g, 4g and wifi) than the Razr and Rezound. The data connection issue is currently impacting all the devices.

The data connection issue is a network issue, but the weak reception is indigenous to the Gnex. It could get fixed with an update, but that assumes there is anything to fix (might just be the radio design).

Kentucky is a great example of an area that will show the reception issue, since not exactly metro and plenty of weak and fringe areas.

I have friends who are kernel and ROM junkies who are aware of the reception issue, but do not care. I also have buds who went to other devices, due to the reception.

Upvote 0
The Gnex (as is) has weaker radio reception (3g, 4g and wifi) than the Razr and Rezound. The data connection issue is currently impacting all the devices.

If you are simply going by low signal bar or dBm reading, I disagree. Data speed on Nexus seems pretty fast with no disruption even when showing low signal bar relative to others. It just tends to drop to 3G a little more than others due to signal reading issue.

If it's radio antenna design issue, it doesn't explain why GSM nexus doesn't have reception issue and GPS works well. Unless some expert tears down these phones and do some RF signal testing for antennas, we won't know for sure. I wouldn't jump to conclusion until after seeing what software update does to it.

Upvote 0
I am in Georgetown, we have 4G here anlong with Lexington. I did notice when we go from a 3G area (if I have a connection) to a 4G area the Nexus switches over to 4G faster than the Bolt.
This Phone is really fast and big, I must whip this issue!
BTW it could be the last ticket, a stroke of luck or your signal trick but 3G is working and staying connected.

Upvote 0
The Gnex (as is) has weaker radio reception (3g, 4g and wifi) than the Razr and Rezound.

Not exactly what I found out here in N.Y. I had a Razr for 2 weeks and compared it extensively with my Gnex. The Razr did a slightly better job of holding on to a weak signal before it too went 'no data connectivity'. But the Gnex did a better job of holding on to 4G when both had a signal.

So I walked away from the Razr thinking the radio was actually (to my surprise), no better overall than the Gnex radio. I also was getting better download speeds on the Gnex.

Where I agree with you is the Rezound radio. Having had that one too, I can attest to the Rezound's radio being clearly superior to either the Razr or the Gnex.

But with that said, I clearly find the Gnex a more pleasurable phone to use. It's absolutely rock solid in terms of quirkiness. No reboots, no overheating, not a single dropped call, no nothing. Just a radio that can stand some improvement in weak signal areas.

Upvote 0
Can someone explain speedtest results and what to do to fix this??? I am connecting to the closest server in NY, NY....3.6 miles away (essentially right across the river from where I live). Top 2 results are 3G, bottom is 4G.

Screenshot_2012-01-03-20-55-49.png

Upvote 0
I am in Georgetown, we have 4G here anlong with Lexington. I did notice when we go from a 3G area (if I have a connection) to a 4G area the Nexus switches over to 4G faster than the Bolt.
This Phone is really fast and big, I must whip this issue!
BTW it could be the last ticket, a stroke of luck or your signal trick but 3G is working and staying connected.

Dunno about the Georgetown area - haven't driven through there yet with my Nexus. I hope the 4G/3G switching issue get's taken care of in the next pushed baseband...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones