1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Working CWM Root Zip

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zombu2, Jun 8, 2012.

1. zombu2

zombu2 Well-Known Member

WARNING
    This is for the Boost version of the Evo Design 4g

It might not work on sprint phones so do not use on sprint phones ( I can't test it)

Here is the Root Zip file for the HTC Evo Design 4G

As usual i will take no responsibility if your phone catches fire or explodes into a thousand pieces using this zip

HERE is the link on how to install CWM
    HERE is some more usefull info for CWM and Root

Credits for this go to

Apache Thunder (for finding a Ics file)

nicbjr from roots wiki for the gtablet file

Me for modding the root install script :D

The root zip file has been modified to work with the Evo Design 4G for boost so i take no resposibility if you use it on the sprint version!!!

If you have issues with SuperUser denying permissions to everything, force stop Superuser in app manager and clear it's cache. It should then operate normally afterwards.

Grab the CWM Zip file from HERE or use the MIRROR

Is it so hard to hit the thnx button ?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder Android Enthusiast

Thanks for your work on getting the zip file to install correctly. I've updated my root thread with the link to this thread and the rooted backup will remain for those developing roms and/or informative purposes. :D

3. zombu2

zombu2 Well-Known Member

Good idea

I linked to your posts since it has some valuable information in it
    Again thnx for pointing me to the right file

Now i got some phone delousing to do

chrisc_8107 likes this.
  4. Heloguy

Heloguy Android Enthusiast

Do we still have to unlock bootloader first?

5. As far as i know, to install CWM you need to unlock boot loader.
    Its a fairly simple process

Heloguy likes this.
  6. zombu2

zombu2 Well-Known Member

Yes bootloader needs to be unlocked and CWM needs to be installed

It s a 5 min process and very easy

Heloguy likes this.
  7. Heloguy

Heloguy Android Enthusiast

I have a notification that a system update is available. I don't know what it I'd, or if it will prevent me from rooting. Anyone else get this? Im afraid to download it, but I don't think the notification will go away until it I'd downloaded and installed.
    I remember this from the prevail when the fa19 update came out.

8. zombu2

zombu2 Well-Known Member

look on market for Voodoo OTA Root keeper

or turn check off since after cwm you cant update anyways hehe i just tried

9. dpollard55

dpollard55 Newbie

Reinstalled my unrooted backup which had already received the OTA update then used this method to reroot..... worked like a charm. Thanks for the work guys.

10. zombu2

zombu2 Well-Known Member

can you upload your unrooted backup so ppl can use it??

11. Apache Thunder

There's already an update for the Boost Mobile version? Interesting. I assume re-rooting afterwords will still work so long as CWM is still present...

12. dpollard55

dpollard55 Newbie

I think it has some personal information in it. Otherwise I would. Sorry wasn't thinking when I made it or I would have done a factory reset first. :(

13. zombu2

zombu2 Well-Known Member

np someone might come along and posts a link :D

14. dpollard55

dpollard55 Newbie

Yep.... 8MB download from HTC and the root works afterword but I don't know if you can update after the root. I tried with your rooted backup and got the exclamation thing with the android guy. Had to pull the battery and reboot. That's why I restored my backup then rooted with this zip.

15. So any word on what the OTA update has? is it android 4.0.4?
    Does the new OTA block any modding...aka unlocking bootloader/cwm/etc

16. zombu2

zombu2 Well-Known Member

Not that we know of
    OTA is prolly just fixes for exploits to root the phone but we circumvented that by using CWM and the zip

only drawback is after cwm and root you can t update which i don t care about at the moment

Time for me to hit the sack gotta work tomorrow

17. Apache Thunder

I'll dig around in my phone and see where it's storing the update. It may be possible to install the update from CWM. I guess the phone's bootloader doesn't want to run the update on a phone running CWM as I understand CWM is what causes OTA updates to not install. :p

18. dpollard55

dpollard55 Newbie

Still android 4.0.3 and you can still unlock the bootloader. Comparing my backup to Apache Thunder's I noticed the numbers on the wimax part are different.... his is wimax.HT24TMB04176 and mine after the update is wimax.HT24TMB05013. Don't know if that means anything or not. Beyond rooting, installing clockwork mod, and some zip's I'm at a loss. LOL

19. zombu2

zombu2 Well-Known Member

The update file is in /sdcard/Download/ i tried to run it from CWM but it just errors out

20. could someone upload the new OTA update...so we can compare whats being added/changed/subtracted
    Thanks all!

21. Apache Thunder

transitoyspace likes this.
  22. well within that update you uploaded theres a firmware.zip with boot and recovery img
    would that help? or are you looking stock recovery pre-update?

23. Apache Thunder

The recovery provided by the OTA update should be the stock one. Didn't think to check for that. Thanks. I'll try flashing back the stock recovery by modifying the zip file I edited to install CWM with. Then I'll run the OTA update. :D

EDIT: Confirmed. I was able to flash stock recovery back by using the one form the OTA update. I made another PH44IMG.zip file that contains stock recovery instead of CWM. I updated my CWM thread with the download link. ;)

Also as expected installing the OTA update will remove root. I will proceed to reroot via CWM. (after reinstalling CWM)

EDIT: Re-rooted with the modified zip zombu2 made. Worked like a charm! :D

I also edited the CWM installer to work with the Sprint version. Updated my CWM thread.

24. zombu2

zombu2 Well-Known Member

I ran the update after flashing the stock recovery and it removes root as expected .
    After update i ran Voodoo OTA root keeper and it restored root for me without a problem .

I recommend everybody to use this app since it will easily restore your root after updates

EDIT: Be carefull what you remove during the delousing of the rom , i broke the wifi removing one of the stupid htc apps

25. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

I would suggest that it is time for EVERYONE to review the site rules and guidelines for posting. Do not make personal comments or suggest a member should or shouldn't have equal access tot he forums. If you have issue with any post as inappropriate or offensive, report it, do not reply in kind, or worse.

We are supposed to be here to help each other and share information about Android and our devices. Unnecessary drama only distracts us from that.

Rally 517 and joshua.worth like this.

HTC EVO Design Forum

The HTC EVO Design release date was October 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1520mAh battery.

October 2011
Release Date
Reviews