1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

working with docx/xlsx files

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by opeets, Dec 20, 2011.

1. opeets

opeets Member

Please help...Android newbie here.

Using my laptop at work, I used to be able to open docx/xlsx files that I had stored on my BB, edit them, and save them. Basically the BB acted as a thumb drive.

Now that I've moved to the Gnex, I copied those same files (into a new directory I created called "docs"). I can open those files from my Gnex with my laptop, but when I edit and try to save them it says I cannot do it, even if I save the file as a new name. I cannot save edits to a simple .txt file.

When I view the file permissions, with Astro and my Windows explorer, they do not appear to be in Read Only mode.

I am using Windows 7 Pro on my laptop.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. eddieruko

eddieruko Well-Known Member

is USB Debugging checked in the Developer options?

Settings > Developer > USB Debugging

3. opeets

opeets Member

Tried that just now and it did not work.

Could it be Windows is not detecting it as a storage medium? In Explorer it says the type is Portable Media Player as opposed to a Local Disk (like my attached external WD Passport drive is). Do I need to install a driver on my laptop?

4. opeets

opeets Member

I just read that the Gnex could not be used as mass storage device because it only has internal memory. Is this true? If so, why take Samsung take two steps forward and one step back? Not happy.:mad:

5. opeets

opeets Member

The best I can do is copy a file to my laptop/PC desktop, edit it from there, save it to my desktop, and then copy it back to my Gnex. There must be an easier way.

6. opeets

opeets Member

no one but me plans on using their Gnex as a mass storage device? :thinking:

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews