• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
When I click the link that says I'm not authorized to access the page? The reason I'm asking is because I use mine on AT&T sometimes when I can't get a signal with Verizon. It works good on GB roms but will not hold a signal with ICS. I thought there someone around here that had it working better.

Upvote 0
Im in germany at the moment roaming on o2 T-Mobile and a bunch of other carriers. I was in London but hadn't figured out how to get data working til now.

Thanks Lars! Hope you're having a nice trip.

When you get done, maybe you can tell us all the steps you did so we can duplicate?

Thanks,
Dan :)

Upvote 0
Thx regrettably it is not for pleasure but to bury my uncle.
I have tried to keep my technical posts on the subject at xda as that is where the most movement on the subject has been here on page 34. Getting the apn sorted out if you have a sim that the phone is not familiar with is the trickiest part.
Bionic on tmobile - Page 34 - xda-developers

Screen grab
http://db.tt/6eOKZF4a

You can read all 34 pages but focus only on these areas as there was much experimentation early on that is not a factor:
You must be on 904 rom or lower and not ics or 905
Perform the band unlock with radiocomm or flash a file with bootstrap.
Switch sims. Not all usa T-Mobile ones work but AT&T and foreign ones seem consistent.
switch to wcdma in *#*#4636#*#* depending on your sim.
add apn info if you have a sim not recognized, via ##program <send> menu. This was the more confusing part as data is not as automatic as voice.

Upvote 0
Thx regrettably it is not for pleasure but to bury my uncle.
I have tried to keep my technical posts on the subject at xda as that is where the most movement on the subject has been here on page 34. Getting the apn sorted out if you have a sim that the phone is not familiar with is the trickiest part.
Bionic on tmobile - Page 34 - xda-developers

Screen grab
http://db.tt/6eOKZF4a

You can read all 34 pages but focus only on these areas as there was much experimentation early on that is not a factor:
You must be on 904 rom or lower and not ics or 905
Perform the band unlock with radiocomm or flash a file with bootstrap.
Switch sims. Not all usa T-Mobile ones work but AT&T and foreign ones seem consistent.
switch to wcdma in *#*#4636#*#* depending on your sim.
add apn info if you have a sim not recognized, via ##program <send> menu. This was the more confusing part as data is not as automatic as voice.

Sorry to hear about your Uncle. I just lost my Aunt in May 1st and it was rough.

Thanks for the Bionic info.

Upvote 0
Some of this stuff is over my head, but I was wondering since I when I open up my Bionic there's a slot for what looks like a SIM card and says "4G" on it, does that mean it can be taken to, say, Europe and you can put a GSM SIM card in it and it will work there?

I hope that makes sense, sorry if I'm unclear.

Upvote 0
Some of this stuff is over my head, but I was wondering since I when I open up my Bionic there's a slot for what looks like a SIM card and says "4G" on it, does that mean it can be taken to, say, Europe and you can put a GSM SIM card in it and it will work there?

I hope that makes sense, sorry if I'm unclear.

While the Bionic seems to have a GSM radio, Motorola has announced that they will create a system update that will allow the D4, Razr and Razr Maxx have GSM "global phone" capability, but have not announced the same about the Bionic.

So, it should work, and I believe that there is a way to get it to work by rooting and hacking, but, so far, there is no official way to get it to work.

Upvote 0
It wasn't flawless. First time in London it roamed on T-Mobile. In germany it roamed on several networks. Sometimes on data as slow as gprs which was unusable but usually on edge and often on 3g. Calls were crystal clear though. When I returned to London I could never get any kind of service at all. Returning to the usa I immediately roamed on AT&T again. So things are not always clear as to what works and what doesn't but the proof generally is there that this is a world phone given the right settings,sim and service.
The updates coming for the razr and d4 to make them world phones proper will likely be like other vzw worldphones where they only work outside the usa.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones