• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root World of Trouble

Okay so I have done my homework and tried A LOT of fix methods but this one's really got me stuck.
I have a Bell Atrix 4g on 2.3.4 which I deleted some stock apps from such as yahoo, uno, whatever. Anyway I failed to back them up thinking I'd never need them again but something ended up being related to contacts storage. I can still make calls but when I try to view/edit contacts I get
"The application Contacts Storage (process com.motorola.contacts) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."
Now obviously my device was rooted but I reset to factory and my rooting has disappeared. I am unable to re-root because now I am faced with my system folders being mounted as read only.

When I try and remount as r/w in cmd, I get permission denied. z4 wont root, superoneclick failed as well. Strangely superoneclick thinks my phone is rooted however. Can't install custom recovery without root permissions, can't install custom roms. Don't have stock apps to copy to system folders. I do have a stock 2.3.4 rom without signatures.

So if anyone could get me to a point where I could flash my 2.3.4 rom or just copy that process into sys, I would be forever grateful.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones