• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Worried about possible malware

Rita Santos

Lurker
Jan 25, 2021
I'm hoping someone can help me here. Yesterday I was doing some research for an essay when I clicked a website (very dumb of me, who never clicks suspicious websites or links) that redirected me. I immediately backed off, the page didn't load. If anything I spent about a second there. Being the paranoid person I am, I have malware bytes installed, scanned, clear. Avast, clear. Sophos warned me about a PUA, which was a .com.google.chrome(some letters) file. Immediately deleted it, but then again Sophos also warned me about another app being a PUA, when it's in fact, safe.

I cleared the google chrome cache. I'd like to note that I DID NOT download anything, I didn't click any links, I didn't click anything but the back button, I didn't give any permissions. I'm on android 10, Xiaomi redmi note 7 (encrypted), and updated to miui12 last night. My phone isn't acting odd or anything.

I'm just extremely worried about being infected. I checked that website on hybrid analysis which came back as malicious (attack method as hooking), virus total said the same, but google safe browsing didn't detect anything, this site was detected as malicious on 2-3 checkers. I was on google chrome at the time. Should I be concerned?

I don't do banking on my phone as I have a separate apple device for that, but I had a picture of myy debit card somewhere in my camera roll.

Is there anything else I can do, for peace of mind? Thanks in advance.

its really hard to get viruses on an android phone. i have been on android since it came into existence. not once have i installed an anti-virus app. i have never been hacked nor have been infected with anything malware, adware and the such. i think you should be ok. if anything to protect your accounts, i would set-up 2 step verification where available on all of your accounts.

so just relax, i think your fine from the sounds of it;)

Upvote 0
its really hard to get viruses on an android phone. i have been on android since it came into existence. not once have i installed an anti-virus app. i have never been hacked nor have been infected with anything malware, adware and the such. i think you should be ok. if anything to protect your accounts, i would set-up 2 step verification where available on all of your accounts.

so just relax, i think your fine from the sounds of it;)

Everyone has been reassuring, thank you. I have 2 step verification turned on for basically everything. This has happened to me before, but I simply went down the rabbit hole this time and probably overreacted.

Upvote 0
Everyone has been reassuring, thank you. I have 2 step verification turned on for basically everything. This has happened to me before, but I simply went down the rabbit hole this time and probably overreacted.
yeah i think your good. just keep an eye on things and you should be fine.

Reactions: MrJavi and Dannydet
Upvote 0
I, on the otherhand, was not an enthusiastic Android user from the beginning.

Having started late, and hating computers, let alone hearing constant 'hacking' and 'online horror' stories- well, I was just as paranoid as you.

In the beginning.

After a time, I came to read and realize a few truths.

Viruses do not exist on Android. Malware exists, but YOU have to put it onto your device yourself.

Anti-anything software exists to prey upon our insecurities, and only promotes paranoia.
(How many of those apps do you have, how many did you run, and did they make you feel any better?)

If you read about this subject on XDA, it can shed some light for you about this.

Don't take this the wrong way, because I was just like you with this when I started.

It was difficult, but eventually I ditched all of those apps.
If your device is not rooted, there is little if anything that can get in and do harm.

Ads are the main threat.
Yes, ads.

Preventing them is your best bet to avoid threats and irritation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I, on the otherhand, was not an enthusiastic Android userfromthe beginning.

Having started late, and hating computers, let alone hearing constant 'hacking' and 'online horror' stories- well, I was just as paranoid as you.

In the beginning.

After a time, I came to read and realize a few truths.

Viruses do not exist on Android. Malware exists, but YOU have to put it onto your device yourself.

Anti-anything software exists to prey upon our insecurities, and only promotes paranoia.
(How many of those apps do you have, how many did you run, and did they make you feel any better?)

If you read about this subject on XDA, it can shed some light for you about this.

Don't take this the wrong way, because I was just like you withthis when I started.

It was difficult, but eventually I ditched all of those apps.
If your device is not rooted, there is little if anything that can get in and do harm.

Ads are the main threat.
Yes, ads.

Preventing them is your best bet to avoid threats and irritation.

I know alot more about windows and computers. No offense is taken! Thank you. No, my phone is not rooted, I wouldn't jailbreak or do such a thing. I have 2. I uninstalled only 1. Thank you for your advice. I'm in a tough situation and everything sets me off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones