• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Worst Android Phone

To the OP:

I didn't see any problem you listed, besides the 4G coverage, that couldn't be fixed. There is a GPS fix over on the xda forum that will turn your Note to an instant locker. And if your screen freezes up I would suggest installing an over clock kernel. Right now I'm running hotwire's oc kernel at 1.86g with the pegasus governor, and I'm getting a full day out of my battery.

You may be frustrated but it seems like instead of searching for answers you just wanted to vent.

Thank you for suggestions, but right now I'm not willing to root, flash a ROM, or configure the kernel. That will be my last resort.

My options that I'm currently considering:

1. Wait for some firmware updates that might fix the issues. I'm hoping for Jelly Bean to be available soon.
2. Exchange this Note for another Note.
3. Return the phone for some other model (before my Costco 90 day return policy expires)

My original post was more the just venting. When I was typing my original post, the word I was thinking about, to describe my emotion, was "ranting!"

After I read your post, I went to the xda forum to find the fix you mentioned. I didn't know where to start the search on their site. So, I Googled, "galaxy note gps fix." Wow! There were many search results returned about, not only the Note, but other Galaxy models - from months ago! I guess this GPS lock problem has been a known issue for quite sometime. I should have done better research before I purchased my phone. My bad.

Upvote 0
When my husband and I bought our i717 notes a few months back, they came with gingerbread. Love loved loved the phone! Then, ICS came...now my phone is a pos. LOL My husbands phone works fine but mine does not...that is why I am here, to figure out how to fix it! I know the problem is not the actual phone itself because it was great before the update...If I have to root I'm going to because tech support told me they don't support retrograde updating or some crap. I just want the phone I loved!

Upvote 0
When my husband and I bought our i717 notes a few months back, they came with gingerbread. Love loved loved the phone! Then, ICS came...now my phone is a pos. LOL My husbands phone works fine but mine does not...that is why I am here, to figure out how to fix it! I know the problem is not the actual phone itself because it was great before the update...If I have to root I'm going to because tech support told me they don't support retrograde updating or some crap. I just want the phone I loved!

What are exactly your problems

Upvote 0
As of today my Note would no longer get a GPS lock once again.

Anyone having issues with GPS may want to watch the video below. I used GPS Status app as shown in the video and everything is working again. Actually had the app but never realized this reset function was in the app. It now takes approx 10 seconds for me to get GPS to lock. I don't know if this fix will be permanent but it only takes a few seconds and requires very little effort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8MkZjMZqvs

Upvote 0
I would suggest exchanging for another note. Anything man made can be screwed up. I am on my second note but I was ignorant and rooted and installed a rom on 20% battery and well the phone died half way through. AT&T sent me a new one and I no longer root.

As to the lady with the ics problem. I had a ton of problems with ics. I hated it. I went back to gingerbread and Love my note. on ICS even with a reset my battery would die in 8-8.5 hours. With Gingerbread I am back at 35-36 hours on single charge.

Upvote 0
interesting. Maybe you got a bad Note

1. On 4G, web surfing is perfectly fine for me...fast. Downloaded a 120MB torrent while driving from PA to NJ and was downloading at about 250-400k/sec. on 4G speed.
2. GPS is dead on for me
3. I've never seen my screen freeze up. Maybe lag a little here and there on GB, but on ICS I'm not having any lag issues.

Upvote 0
I also don't experience any issues with my Note. GPS works fine on mine as well. I have no real lag issues, except on times where I put it under heavy use and chewing up a lot of RAM. I did find some offending programs that caused my Note to lock up and freeze (ie. required pulling out the battery). After removing them, all is well.

Upvote 0
I"m not saying the Note is bad, but like some, after ICS my gps refuses to work properly, if at all. I'm going to try a hard reset and if that doesn't work, I'll be heading in to AT&T for a possible replacement, that hopefully still has GB on it. If I can and it does, I will not be updating to ICS.

I loved my Note with GB but after ICS, I've felt like throwing it against the wall, at times.

Upvote 0
Mine works great. Same speed dial defect as with Gingerbread, but otherwise everything works as expected, even after upgrading to ICS. I didn't factory reset or anything, so it's the same set of apps I had in Gingerbread (albeit with MANY updates since). No GPS complaints, no instability. If anything I'm a touch annoyed by things like disabling the camera while you are talking on the phone, LTE bandwidth dropping like a rock in my area, some of the AT&T apps I can't uninstall, etc. But nothing that makes me dislike the phone at all.

Upvote 0
I have been playing with Note for a month now, absolutely no problems. GPS is fine, no freezing screens, etc. Battery time is just over a day. I am going through a learning curve, as I came from iPhone. I don't see anything that would make me want to go back! And yes, I am on AT&T - great reception (North Dallas area).

I couldn't go back to a non-customizable OS either. Love my Note, love Android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones