• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Worst battery life evar

Saikusus

Lurker
Nov 22, 2010
I just bought a Droid 2 yesterday, and today was my first day using it. I completely used up the battery last night and then fully charged it so it was good to go this morning. I unplugged it at 100% at 8am. this morning, charged it for about two hours throughout the day, and at 4pm today, the battery died while I was charging it. I didn't really use it much, I only looked up a couple of things on the internet and whatnot. Most of the settings are still the factory default settings. Does this phone just suck so much that it won't last through a few hours or are there some major changes I need to make so that it will last longer?

On a side note, I can constantly feel the phone heating up. Even when it should be idle in my pocket, it's still hot. Is that normal as well?

Hi, I currently own LG ally but I am looking to upgrade to either D2 or other better android phone. The D2 looks good to me except for one unknown thing, batter life. The user reviews on it vary so much from 5~6hours to over 40hours per charge, So I'm confused if it will be worse or better than Ally in battery life. Some other users suggested tweaking battery mode, sync peak time, etc in the setting menu which I don't have in Ally. But some guys claim great life ~30hours per charge with default setting out of box and medium usage. With so diverse reports on battery, it's very hard to guess how much battery life I would get with D2.

I'm not heavy user and can get Ally through 12 hours daytime with 55% left. I do 15~20min talks, checking emails every 30 mins, 20~30 of web browsing mostly. For better battery life, I only set brightness low, turned off GPS, killed news/weather widgets on screen, set screen timeout to 30secs. So with similar condition/usage, how much battery life can I expect after 12hours of usage with default setting?

Upvote 0
Battery life is 100% deponent on how you use your phone. From what you have said, I think you can expect to have similar results with a D2 as you did with your Ally. I would highly recomend tweaking the settins to fit your needs. You can adjust when data syncs or if it syncs at all.
I have never gotten my phone to go more then 36 hours and that was with almost no usage, just idle the whole time. I can get 10-16 hours on the average charge with what I would consider medium usage. I have background data on, I get emails very often, make a few phone calls and some texting. I find that the people who have poor battery life don't make any attempt to manage it, and right know smart phones aren't smart enough to do it them selves.

Reactions: jinwons
Upvote 0
i use the hell out of my phone and can go 2 days on a charge w/ the stock battery. I have never experienced the battery life problems people talk about, however I dont spend all day surfing, downloading massive videos etc. Im' on and off it all day on the phone and constantly emailing/texting if that helps.

If i do start youtubing to kill time or something like that I'll smoke the battery quickly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones