1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Worst case scenario of internal damage

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dewprism, May 26, 2010.

1. Dewprism

Dewprism Member

May 9, 2010
    Male
    So today I dropped my phone, really my fault but i am curious as aside from the exterior cosmetics being scratch or broken ( Which mine are not, thankfully ) i did a little searching online but unable to find a "dumbed down" version of what exactly can happen with the insides of my Incredible when I drop it. Aside from moving parts inside the phone is there anything i can break in there from dropping that will ruin it's performance?

Advertisement

2. TheCowGod

TheCowGod Well-Known Member

May 13, 2010
    Probably nothing. As far as I know there are no moving parts in the phone and im sure everything on the circuit board is soldered or epoxied. I would think that as long as it turned on afterwards it should be fine.

Dewprism likes this.
  3. INTREPID-NY

INTREPID-NY Android Enthusiast

May 5, 2010
    No. Most solid state electronics must work perfectly for the device to function. An intermittent fault (from a cracked circuit board or solder point for example) would also become evident. You should know by now if you broke something. Compare this to a typical hard drive where damage may not become apparent for some time.

Dewprism likes this.
  4. mrjerryk

mrjerryk Well-Known Member

May 23, 2010
    Cincinnati OH
    Besides just checking to see if the phone powers, check the camera. I dropped my iPhone down the stairs a few months ago and now the camera won't work unless I hit the phone on it's side a few times.

Can't wait until I can order my Inc.

Dewprism likes this.
  5. ashykat

ashykat Android Expert

Apr 27, 2009
    Irvine, CA
    Most (if not all?) modern smartphones don't have moving parts. They use flash memory, etc. Plus I'm pretty sure they do a lot of testing for this stuff. I remember when the Nexus One was coming out there was a video of all the stress tests they ran on it, including one that simulated several drops, a crazy amount of button pushes on the trackball, one that pushed on the center of the screen to show how much it could bend. Kind of a neat video, and since the N1 was made by HTC I would assume they do something similar with most of their phones, especially something as high end as the Incredible.

Dewprism likes this.