1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Worth Overclocking?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kylesnav, Jul 18, 2011.

1. kylesnav

kylesnav Newbie
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Are you all noticing large or worthwhile differences in run speeds? or is 1.6ing for shiggles? I notice lag when typing in any browser using the dock. Will this help?

Advertisement

2. eddiewawa

eddiewawa Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 25, 2010
    IT 'Anal'yst
    Leeds
    the browser lag is an issue, there is another thread that mentioned typing:

about:debug

on your built in browser, head to settings on the browser, labs i think, then untick the OpenGL setting. it works WAY better, but the lag issue still persists.

got an open support call with Asus about it.

3. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!!
    None

Jan 31, 2010
    Ohio

Shiggles...I like that. :D

It's faster and you can feel the speed difference when you are multitasking and swapping back and forth between apps. But I'm running @ 1.2 GHz and have a little extra boost without hampering battery life.

Is it necessary? No.

4. kylesnav

kylesnav Newbie
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Haha thanks :p. I am rooting now then I am going to overclock; the amount of battery life I am getting now is far more then I truly need. I just want to try so much stuff. Any custom roms you suggest while im at it?

5. Jlomb436

Jlomb436 Newbie
    None

Jul 17, 2011
    Let me know how this goes. I'm hoping to get slightly faster performance on java pages, so it'd be great to get some feedback on that. Good luck! -Jeff

6. busted bones

busted bones Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 19, 2010
    Shipping and Receiving Manager
    I saw you talking about when you were at 1.6 you had no issue with 720P flash video playback but a 1.0 you were getting dropped frames. Are you still avoiding the dropped frames at 1.2?
    First time Ive heard of that, I havent really read anywhere but how is the lag issue when using say Opera or Dolphin browser compared to stock browser?
    Im going to be watching this thread as well.

7. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!!
    None

Jan 31, 2010
    Ohio
    I'm running the Revolver ROM v0.2.1 but I believe v1.0 is out now. The ROMs are not heavily tweaked at this point in time so just look for a ROM with the latest base from ASUS which is 8.4.4.11. I like the Xoom software buttons much better than the ASUS styled ones and the Revolver ROM had that out of the box (but you can change them with any deodexed ROM).

I haven't noticed an issue with it but I'd be lying if I said I had done thorough testing with it. @ 1.0 GHz, flash playback wasn't awful...it just wasn't perfect. I then tried it on 1.6 and it was smooth. I don't think I've watched any flash videos outside of the stock YouTube player with any clock speed inbetween. Let me take a look...

Well, the last time I looked at this I was not on the newest ASUS base (8.4.4.11). I just tried a few different videos on the full YouTube site at 1.0GHz, 1.2GHz and 1.6GHz in both the stock browser and the Dolphin HD (my normal browser). @ 720P, I did not notice a difference with 1.0 and 1.2 GHz. It played smoothly at both speeds. I cranked it up to 1.6GHz to test out the full 1080P and that's not happening. 720P is the max video playback. 1080P was very choppy even @ 1.6GHz.

I know I'm not crazy and was experience dropped frames before on 1.0GHz so I'm guessing that a few tweaks in the ASUS base, or the difference in the latest update (version 17 as apposed to version 16) to the kernel I'm using fixed the minor issues with the playback: [Kernel] Clemsyn-Blades-CPAjuste-supercurio OC kernel version 17 combo (1.6/1.7ghz) - xda-developers