• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

worth the upgrade from D3?

katoom400

Nov 10, 2009
I was at the costco store on launch morning and turned away since they did not get their shipment in before opening. Now I'm wondering if I should just wait...........I have a D3 that I really like, after applying the leaked OTA update any small complaints I had are gone and it runs pretty darn smooth....the camera sucks, but I believe it is the same on the bionic.

the question is, should I upgrade to the bionic? I don't have LTE in my area so that is a wash for me. I see some people posting about a "whine" coming from the headphones which would be a deal breaker for me as I listen to music in the car all the time. It would cost me $175 to upgrade to basically the same device without a physical keyboard, but has more ram, slightly larger screen (I'm fine with the pentile on the D3), same (crappy) camera and an LTE radio (which I can't use now, and most likely not until the end of next year)

I'm within my exchange period....but don't know if I should pull the trigger on the bionic...

I was at the costco store on launch morning and turned away since they did not get their shipment in before opening. Now I'm wondering if I should just wait...........I have a D3 that I really like, after applying the leaked OTA update any small complaints I had are gone and it runs pretty darn smooth....the camera sucks, but I believe it is the same on the bionic.

the question is, should I upgrade to the bionic? I don't have LTE in my area so that is a wash for me. I see some people posting about a "whine" coming from the headphones which would be a deal breaker for me as I listen to music in the car all the time. It would cost me $175 to upgrade to basically the same device without a physical keyboard, but has more ram, slightly larger screen (I'm fine with the pentile on the D3), same (crappy) camera and an LTE radio (which I can't use now, and most likely not until the end of next year)

I'm within my exchange period....but don't know if I should pull the trigger on the bionic...

THe camera is not the same.
I would keep the D3...but I also would of never bought the D3. I dont like sliders, just saying.
Its not a HUGE/AMAZING upgrade....plus you have to pay $175 more....

Upvote 0
THe camera is not the same.
I would keep the D3...but I also would of never bought the D3. I dont like sliders, just saying.
Its not a HUGE/AMAZING upgrade....plus you have to pay $175 more....
Thank You! I appreciate your honesty. I am used to the slider from my OG DROID, and like having the option on my D3, but to be honest I don't use it all that often. I use swype most of the time, but there are times that I like the physical keyboard and the one on the d3 is way better than the OG DROID.

Upvote 0
I have used them both and have the D3. I prefer the D3 for a few reasons:

1. Better on battery (when in 3G, since smaller display and less ram to refresh)
2. Keyboard (Not a factor though if you do not care for a KB)
3. 2.4gb more storage, since no Webtop allocation
4. Easier to use the device with one hand

That all said, if I had bought the Bionic before the D3 was out, I would be happy with the Bionic, none the less.

Upvote 0
The D3 is great especially if you don't have 4G coverage. I believe even if a person has a Droid Charge or a Thunderbolt, I don't think it's worth the upgrade especially if you are already locked into those phones. I also wouldn't recommend using another upgrade if you have any of the newer phones that came out this year. It's really not cost effective.

Upvote 0
The D3 is great especially if you don't have 4G coverage. I believe even if a person has a Droid Charge or a Thunderbolt, I don't think it's worth the upgrade especially if you are already locked into those phones. I also wouldn't recommend using another upgrade if you have any of the newer phones that came out this year. It's really not cost effective.
I'm not locked as I purchased at costco, so I have time yet...I'm just not sure it is a worthwhile jump to the bionic for $170...when I'm darn happy with the D3.....other than the crappy camera which doesn't sound like an improvement on the bionic anyway.....

Upvote 0
well, now that the bionic has been out for a few weeks, does everyone still feel it is not a worthy upgrade from the d3 in my situation?

Upvote 0
I'll be honest in only speaking in owning the Bionic (upgrading from the D1). I initially came from a touchscreen only WinMo phone and hated using the on screen KB. I thought I'd be in love with the Droid having a physical Querty, but really stopped using it since it was crap. Now the D3 has a much better KB. If you have to have it, it's really the only option unless you're willing to hold out for the Stratosphere.
Since the processor, RAM and UI are the same, performance is nearly on par.
If you have 4G in you're area and are willing to give up a physical querty, go for the Bionic.
I've found so few problems with it, and ROM development is on the way (the D3 seems to be pretty stagnant). Definitely check it out first before dropping the coin.

Upvote 0
I believe the processor and ui are the same, but RAM is double on the bionic right? (1gb)

dont have lte yet, but hopefully early next year. I do like having the physical keyboard, but to be honest I don't use it much....

Hmmm, it seems like you want us to tell you to ditch the D3 for the Bionic. ;) Lol. jk.

The RAM doesn't make that much of a difference, IMO. The D3 is smooth but the Bionic does seem a little smoother...just a tad. If you don't have LTE, then there really isn't a real reason to pay an additional $150 + for some RAM and LTE that you can't use.

Upvote 0
If you don't have 4g in your area yet I would just stick with the D3.

The only reason I got the Bionic instead of the D3 is because of 4g. I loved having the physical keyboard on my D1. I think they made a massive mistake by not having 4g in the D3. They would sold a lot more of them to D1 owners who want a similar phone to what they had but with 4g.

Reactions: xmr405o
Upvote 0
Personally i loved my droid 1 and the only reason i bout the bionic was my droid dies after 2 yrs and one too many falls. I would have waited until near field was incorporated. With that said its a nice ohone but the stability of the 3 and 4g are less than desirable. In fact im in a place that is 3g and pretty stable and it just dropped so i switched to wifi. Things that will be worked out but dont get it for 4g unleas u r in a solid 4g area and not the edge of it.

Upvote 0
I'm probably going to keep the d3 for a while, no real complaints yet..unless lte lights up any time soon in my area! then I'll have to have it. the only thing i worry about is lack of dev support on the d3 compared to the DB, it is very dead over in the d3 all things root forum...I don't think they pushed/marketed the D3 enough...the Bionic has a larger following and may get more dev time on the root end.

the D3 really is a good device, and most likely just shy of the DB in performance (excluding LTE)

Upvote 0
I'm probably going to keep the d3 for a while, no real complaints yet..unless lte lights up any time soon in my area! then I'll have to have it. the only thing i worry about is lack of dev support on the d3 compared to the DB, it is very dead over in the d3 all things root forum...I don't think they pushed/marketed the D3 enough...the Bionic has a larger following and may get more dev time on the root end.

the D3 really is a good device, and most likely just shy of the DB in performance (excluding LTE)

The d3 is a great device but it seems to be overshadowed by the bionic. But I think the devs are still messing with the bionic and the d3 development will surely follow.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones