1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Worth The Upgrade from the Desire for 320 pounds?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kopkiwi, May 15, 2011.

1. kopkiwi

kopkiwi Android Enthusiast

Question as per title.

Clove in the UK currently selling for 265 pounds. Worth the upgrade at that price?

Really don't want to pay the price for Samsung Galaxy SII, or the upcoming Sensation.

Is the upgrade from HTC Desire to Nexus S worth it?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. quantumrand

quantumrand Android Expert

Yes, I'd say it's worth it coming from the Desire. There are a couple threads talking about the comparison between the two already. For the most part, you'll be getting a huge boost in graphics performance.

Since the Nexus S is now 6 months old, I'd still suggest you consider a newer device. Maybe the Optimus 2X if it's at an agreeable pricepoint for you.

3. kopkiwi

Thanks for that. Unfortunately the 90 pound price difference equates to around $210 after conversion and with an upcoming wedding to pay for, don't REALLY need to be spending that additional money. Where as selling my Desire would cover the cost of the Nexus S.

From all accounts it's the fastest single core phone, gets updates before anything else and still performs bloody well compared to most phones. Dual Core aside of course.

4. quantumrand

If selling the Desire will cover essentially all the cost of upgrading to the Nexus S, then by all means go for it. As long as you don't mind missing out on the SenseUI, you'll love the speed boost. A lot of people who switch from HTC phones complain about the various functions vanilla Android lacks, but in reality, vanilla Android doesn't lack any of it; you just have to find the apps and widgets to do it yourself.

kopkiwi likes this.
  5. kopkiwi

To be honest. I don't use the Sense UI really. Upgraded to LauncherPro almost immediately.

6. williamj1

williamj1 Android Enthusiast

You realise it's not

7. williamj1

There is a stable port of Sense 2.1 (skins too) on XDA anyway for the Nexus S.

8. kopkiwi

9. williamj1

Wouldn't it cost a huge amount to ship?

Lucky sod! I'd snap this up today if it only cost me

10. kopkiwi

11. quantumrand

Hey William, I just want to mention that the graphics performance boost going from the Desire to the Nexus S is actually quite the jump. The Nexus S' SGX540 GPU is a good two to three times faster than the Desire's Adreno 200.

In terms of general CPU performance, they're pretty close to the same, but that's not something you'll generally notice since most smartphone bottlenecks are in the GPU or I/O (aka RAM and storage memory interface).

12. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I concur...I upgraded from the Desire to the Nexus S as my wife wanted my Desire, and it was definitely an UPgrade. I originally wanted to go dual-core and made the mistake of buying the Atrix. It was not a pleasant experience and I returned the Atrix within a week (along with many other customers). After that I looked for another choice and the Nexus S reviews and features seemed pretty good. I was right...it performs remarkably well for a single-core (better than the Atrix in many respects), with decent overall speed, and simple UI. I added a few apps and widgets to fill in the gaps from HTC and now I'm a very happy camper.
    :)

13. williamj1

I agree. But having said that, I'm really not a fan of the Atrix especially motoblur. Things like the Sensation and the Galaxy S2 will on the other hand I'm sure be better than the Nexus S. That's my problem....

Considering I keep my phone for a year at least, I would say the Galaxy S2 might be worth the money and running it for longer.

Nexus S Forum

The Nexus S release date was December 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

December 2010
Release Date
Reviews