1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Worth waiting for the Optimus 3D instead of this phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MagicMarker, Feb 18, 2011.

1. MagicMarker

MagicMarker Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 18, 2011
    UK
    Hi All, I'm new and was going to go head first into the Android market, I've decided to wait for the Optimus 2x (instead of the Nexus S) but isn't the Optimus 3D kind of the same as this but with the 3D wow factor (although maybe be just a gimmick). The costs are near the same I believe.

Or should I go for the Samsung S2 if I'm waiting for the LG Optimus 3D (although this does seem more expensive).

I've never owned a smart phone before (still on the Nokia n95 lol), and decided if I'm going to get one I want the newest and best one out.

(I'm from the UK if that makes any difference)

Advertisement

2. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert
    None

Oct 19, 2010
    OC, CA
    You need to decide if you really want or need to have 3D features in phone. Otherwise I guess 2X is better for you.

MagicMarker likes this.
  3. MagicMarker

None

Feb 18, 2011
    UK
    But if they're the same price, why not get the 3D. What's the 2x got that 3D doesn't?

Personally I think it's a gimmick, but still a wow factor but I'm prepared to wait a few more weeks for an extra new gizmo.

4. BitHeroes

BitHeroes Newbie
    None

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Ireland
    Autostereoscopic screens are in there infancy at the moment. I'm reluctant to hop on the first generation of anything.

They have poor viewing angles, will run through battery like water, and be a novelty you'd soon get bored of.

If your patient and want a 4.3" screen that may or may not turn out to be rubbish, wait for the Optimus 3D, if not, then get the 2X.

EDIT: And one more thing, If you like mobile gaming, Tegra is going to be the way to go, as it seems developers will be making games exclusively for Tegra, which allows them to bypass Android fragmentation.

MagicMarker likes this.
  5. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert
    None

Oct 19, 2010
    OC, CA
    Do you really think Optimus 3D will have the same price as 2X? Also I think its battery performance will be worse than 2X with all that stuffs for 3D. If you are still interested in getting 3D anyway, I would wait for the first reviews/testings at least.

MagicMarker likes this.
  6. svengalis

svengalis Newbie
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Seems like you already made up your mind. Just wait for the 3D version to come out and decided which is better to you.

MagicMarker likes this.
  7. MagicMarker

None

Feb 18, 2011
    UK
    I get the figures from here:

2X -

8. BitHeroes

BitHeroes Newbie
    None

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Ireland
    I think the Optimus 3D will be more like

MagicMarker likes this.
  9. apchai

apchai Lurker
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    Is there any information out there about the 2d display quality of the Optimus 3D? Does the extra 3d layer degrade the quality?

Too bad LG spread their innovations over several models: The Black has a Nova display but is only 4" and no Dual Core; the 3D has 4.3", dual channel RAM and probably the strongest Dual Core but that (gimmicky) extra layer that may impair sharpness; the 2x has Dual Core but no dual channel RAM and only 4".

I wished they had put all their eggs in one basket with a 4.3" Nova Display, dual channel RAM and OMAP4. ;)

MagicMarker and jroc like this.
  10. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert
    None

Oct 19, 2010
    OC, CA
    It seems to me that Optimus 3D is very close to that kind of super-phone. I may by wrong but I don't think that 3D layer will hurt 2D sharpness much because it's glass free one. The only thing I'm curious is its 4G capability. I think it will probably support HSPA+, but not 4G LTE.

11. apchai

apchai Lurker
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    You seem to be right, I googled around a bit, and pocket lint calls the 2D performance "stunning" and thinks it gives "devices like the Sony Ericsson Arc or the Samsung Galaxy S II a run for their money":

First Look: LG Optimus 3D review - Pocket-lint

LG might in fact scare some people off with the strong emphasis on the 3D "gimmick", because even without the 3D, it's a highly impressive monsterphone, on par at least with the S II. Add 3D and you have a phone one step ahead of the competition.

LG is upping the ante while HTC already folded...and SE didn't even make it to the table. ;)

12. MagicMarker

None

Feb 18, 2011
    UK
    Just found this (although I think thought the processor on the Samsung S2 was 1.2ghz):

[​IMG]