1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support Would a dual-usb cable charge this thing?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by reiththestud, Feb 24, 2011.

1. reiththestud

reiththestud Android Enthusiast

I remember back in the day they used to use these double-usb cables to provide extra juice to high powered devices. Would something like this be able to feed the Xoom's extra power draw?

Newegg.com - BYTECC 3 ft. USB 2.0 Y cable, A male x 2 to Mini B male x1, for 2.5" Enclosure or USB2.0 Hub Model USB2-HD201

Obviously you would need a mini-usb version or an adapter, I'm just asking if it would work "in theory".

Edit 1: The reason I ask is because one of the reviews said that the dock charges the xoom via USB, not a power connector. So I guess they're just pumping more juice through the USB than is normally capable. Hey, maybe an iPad power brick would do the trick. Anyone have an iPad power brick they can try?

Edit 2: Here's a cable for micro-usb connections: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200832&cm_re=2x-_-12-200-832-_-Product

Advertisement

2. james_bw

james_bw Newbie

The dock does NOT charge through the USB. It's not a question of current, it's a question of voltage. Don't bother with a different USB cable, it won't charge, it's not even connected to the battery that way.

3. reiththestud

So the dock has the same power connector as the ac adaptor plug?

4. reiththestud

Look here, no power connector on the dock
    [​IMG]

5. james_bw

james_bw Newbie

See those two pins on the dock? They touch two pogo connection points for charging the device.

6. reiththestud

Okay, I assumed they served a different purpose since motorola already had one power connector on the device. Doesn't make much sense to have two. Not entirely sure why they did it that way.

7. james_bw

james_bw Newbie

Just for mechanical reasons really.

8. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert

OP, no.

Someone reported the charger is 7.4v. Usb is ~5v. So dual usb would still be usb spec, just 5v still.

9. Go Blue

Go Blue Newbie

The output voltage on the wall charger included with the Xoom is 12v. USB is 5v.

10. railrode1

railrode1 Newbie

It's the battery that's 7.4v . that's why no usb(5v) charge.

11. Go Blue

Go Blue Newbie

Agreed -- a 7.4v battery (or anything in the 7 to 9 volt range) would usually be charged on a 12v circuit +/-. Typically a battery that is charged on the 5v USB circuit will be 3.2v +/-. Point is that a 5v USB charging circuit cannot sufficiently charge a 7.4v battery, and that is why a higher voltage charging circuit is required, and also why there is no connection to the battery from the USB circuit.

12. papermonkey01

papermonkey01 Well-Known Member

Plus I doubt having that thin little power plug sticking up would be very sturdy. The mini USB port is delicate enough