1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Would changing a .exe file for a game to a .apk file allow me to run it?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Android Question

None
    To summarize my situation, I am trying to play a computer game on my phone. (Specifically Touhou 10 - Mountain of Faith.) Thanks to an app called DoSBox, I can play the older computer games on my phone (Like Touhou 4 - Lotus Land Story, though i haven't tested that specific game yet, but I know DoSBox can run old DOS games like Starcraft), but I want to play a windows game on my android. If my question is false, then is there any way to run that game on my android phone? I have all the files for the game on my phone already, so I assume all I need is a way to run the .exe file to start up the game, so is there any possible way I can do this? (or make it into a .apk file as i asked and then run that to run the game.)

Advertisement

2. Zyvux

Zyvux Lurker
    None

Dec 9, 2014
    Male
    Btw I am the original poster. ^^^

3. dsmryder

dsmryder Android Expert
    None

May 28, 2011
    mechanic
    NE Florida
    The short answer? No. .exe is almost only for Windows. .apk is for Android (Android Package)

Maaaaybe if there is a version of Wine for Android then you can use that. The other option would be to recomile the game for Android, but that might be too much.

4. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    There's no way that you could run a Windows .exe directly on an Android phone, nor convert it to an apk. There is very little in common between the 2 OSes.

Whether an emulator such as DOSBox would let you run a specific Windows game I don't know: you'd have to just try I guess. But your only chance would be an emulator of some sort. And obviously you couldn't even hope to run most modern Windows games: no phone comes even close to a desktop computer in power, never mind the fact that because you'd be emulating the PC you'd need a device that's more powerful than the PC you are emulating.

P.S. I'd forgotten WINE, but as far as I can tell that project is still not ready for prime time.

scary alien likes this.
  5. Zyvux

Zyvux Lurker
    None

Dec 9, 2014
    Male
    I tried running my windows game through DOSBox, but it didn't work as it wasn't a DOS game. DOSBox can only play old computer games that are in DOS format sadly. Are there any windows emulator for the android out there, or am I asking for the impossible. I understand the difference in power, but to my limited knowledge I'm pretty sure something like a galaxy s5 can handle simply having the windows format open. As for running programs, that depends on the program I assume. The game doesn't require too much power I believe, but without an emulator it seems I can't run it.

Are there any windows/pc emulators that can run some of the "newer" files, like around the 2002 era? (not in terms of handling everything smoothly, but just running it?)

Edit: And any ETA on when WINE will be available for Android. I can accept any answer tbh, you don't need to be too accurate. Like will it be in the next 1-3 years or so?

6. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
  7. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    As mentioned, the simple answer is no, but there are emulators. You can use dosbox to play dos games and scummvm for windows games. I've personally used scummvm to play myst and riven. Worked pretty well for those.

8. Zyvux

Zyvux Lurker
    None

Dec 9, 2014
    Male
    http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Embodiment_of_Scarlet_Devil

Let's say I wish to play that game on my galaxy S5 or other android devices, Is there anything currently available that can run it or, like already stated, I have to wait for Wine to be available for android? (note: I have not yet tried this with DOSBox, will it work with that or will it also fail, considering the requirements mentioned for that game on the web page?)

9. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    No way on dosbox. As far as I know that's just for old dos based games.

As for scummvm, I'm not sure. The game you linked to and its developer is not listed under supported or unsupported games or developers.

Scummvm is free. Your best bet would be to install it and try your game with all of the plugins and see if it works with any of them. If it won't work on any of the plugins, maybe an email to the developer could provide useful??

10. Zyvux

Zyvux Lurker
    None

Dec 9, 2014
    Male
    Scummvm says that it is for point-and-click adventure games, like Myst. My game, on the other hand, is a vertical-scrolling shooter. Will scummvm still be able to play that?

11. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    I don't know. Chances are, probably not; but the only way to find out is just to try it out.

kkh991 likes this.