1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Would fitness app log distance via GPS without a data plan?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Double44, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Double44

Double44 Member

I want to track jogging/biking distances using a fitness app via GPS, on a spare phone that no longer has a data/internet plan.

Would such an app still be able to track distance if only the GPS was turned on? It would connect to internet, but only when at home (near wifi).

If it was a navigation type app, i assume if a Google map was cached, the phone could still navigate it w/GPS... no?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

There's no reason in principle why it can't. I used to have a app called Maverick installed which was able to do offline tracking, but that was a couple of years ago. Not marketed as a fitness app, but that's a more recent marketing bandwagon.

There are probably others as well, but you'd have to search as it's not something I use.

For offline navigation you're better off using open street maps, or a dedicated offline navigation app. Google map caches are used only by Google maps, and that won't do turn by turn navigation without a data connection - which may be why Pugs gave such a definite no as his/her answer.

Double44 likes this.
  3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

It would be able to log your location, although fix could be inaccurate and maps won't be available (depending on app).

4. Omar Days

Omar Days Android Expert

Yes.

I use an old phone and endomondo to track my runs. Logs distance, calories etc the same as if i was connected to data or not. When I get home and connect to wifi, it shows where I've ran on the map as well.

Double44 likes this.
  5. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

The fix could be slower, but if you are outdoors in my experience the wireless element adds very little to accuracy (while conversely if you temporarily lose GPS lock the accuracy degrades by orders of magnitude).

6. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

I use my Moto G which isn't activated with RunKeeper. It works just fine and everything syncs when I get back home in wifi.

Double44 likes this.
  7. Double44

Double44 Member

RunKeeper is the app i had in mind, great to know it works :]

Thanks everyone for all your advice :p

8. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

One "trick" I do since occasionally RK is buggy, is when I finish my run I just "Stop" the activity. I don't save it until I'm back on wifi. Since it's trying to upload the data at that point, if it doesn't have a connection it can be finicky.
    Good luck! :)