1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Would ICS solve all my problems?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by travelcat, Dec 14, 2011.

1. travelcat

travelcat Guest
    None
    Like many Desire owners, mine is plagued by lack of space for apps. It's gotten so annoying I am considering ditching the Desire for something else.

I doan wanna though, I LOVE the Desire's form factor, I love the real buttons. I'm hoping what I heard is true....

I was told today that Ice Cream Sandwich puts all memory into the same pool. In theory, I understand, it means that running out of internal memory would be a thing of the past, because apps would just install, and the OS would figure out where, and the SD would be seen the same as the internal or system memory... I hope I'm making sense.

At any rate, I have two questions:

1. Is this true and
    2. is there a ROM available that'll work for my Desire? (yes, it's rooted)

Advertisement

2. travelcat

travelcat Guest
    None
    No answer? Too early to know? Anybody have ICS (on anything) and can comment?

3. togger161

togger161 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 21, 2011
    Electrical Technician
    Birmingham UK
    There are 100's of threads on here about the Desire and lack of memory. You just need to search!
    Not sure about which rom in particular you are thinking of flashing. Do you have a link?
    My opinion: Sense roms are bloat ware - much prefer AOSP roms, they are quicker. Use a rom that supports A2SD - partition your card into 2 - Fat and ext 3 or 4 (depending on rom) I also find ones that use data to exe laggy.
    Try Redux, Oxygen or Cyanogen roms.
    Use GParted to partition your card.

4. travelcat

travelcat Guest
    None
    Yes, I know about the tons of posts - some of them are mine! I've implemented many of the suggestions, they've all mostly helped, but the problems persist. I've seen no posts on whether Ice Cream Sandwich fixes the problem though, or whether there is a ROM that'll work. Although my phone is rooted, I have not yet tried a custom Rom, so I have no opinion on which might be best. And thus, my post :)

5. togger161

togger161 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 21, 2011
    Electrical Technician
    Birmingham UK
    There are roms about that you can use that will take advantage of all of the desire's internal memory, repartitioning it and allowing for more apps without relying on things such as apps2sd. There is one in particular by a user on here name SUroot that has one.

Link to Rom Thread - this site
    Link to Rom On XDA

Not tried it personally because I didn't want to mess about resizing the memory - just a bit worried I would mess it up. The rom has good reviews. I'm sure he will talk you through it as well if you ask - he's very helpful.

At present I am running Cyanogen Rom. (must update my sig.) I have partitioned my sd card into 2, 14gb fat 32 and 2 gb ext partition. It runs very fast, with NO lag at all and I have tons of stuff loaded. No FC's, reliable and everything works.

Link to Rom I am running.

Choosing a rom is a personal thing, we each look for/want different things. That is why there is no "best" rom.

From personal experience I'd stay away from data 2 ext roms, they do give you loads of room for stuff, more than apps2sd but everyone I have tried has at some point been laggy. Yes I have class 6 sd card. There are new sense roms out but a lot of bugs with things such as camera or lockscreens not working properly.

New sense roms with bugs.

I think that no matter which rom you go with, you will have to do a bit of work, to either partition your card to use apps2sd, or to alter your desire's memory allocation and use a rom such as SUroot's. I am not aware of a rom you can flash that will just do it all for you (though that doesn't mean there isn't)

Tags: