1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Would like to root Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime (5.1.1)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by stinger17, Feb 13, 2016.

1. stinger17

stinger17 Lurker

OK so I just switched over from Apple to Samsung, and there are many differences between jail breaking and rooting. But really, all I would really want out of a root is two things: Be able to save games to my external SD card, and maybe get some free in app purchases later on. (My main concern is the SD card though.. I only have 8GB.) Ive already rooted once (I did it with Kingroot, because it seemed to be the only one click root I could use, because I didn't feel like using Odin) Well, I did something wrong. The root worked, and I got to save some new games to my SD. Then I shut off my phone, and then later went to turn it back on, and BOOM: It wouldn't boot, and there was a big yellow triangle with a exclamation point, with some text that I cant remember (I remember the word "kernel" was on the screen though, I think it said something like "the kernel is not secure" or something along those lines). I was able to reset my phone using Kies 3, although I lost everything. Now, though, I really want that extra space, and I can only use it with root access. The only thing that I found that maybe could have prevented that is if I unlocked the OEM. But I'm not sure. I'm hoping someone could help me and root my device, but this time not mess it up. Because I'm new to this I imagine I missed something the first time around, so it wouldn't surprise me if I missed something big.
    tl:dr: I rooted once, messed up my phone, I want to root again, but I don't know if there's a stable root for my phone

christistephens77 likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. James L

James L Android Expert

Without a model number it's hard to say. There is a few variants of the grand prime.

3. stinger17

stinger17 Lurker

Sorry Im late, but my model number is SM-G530W

4. James L

James L Android Expert

5. stinger17

stinger17 Lurker

Ok so, here was my main question. I didnt enable OEM unlocking. Would have that been the reason why my phone didnt boot?

6. James L

James L Android Expert

Yes that would be correct, if oem unlock is not enabled it will not boot. I did see firmware for your device, dependent on the carrier at sammobile.com

7. stinger17

stinger17 Lurker

I stole this from http://mobile.tumblrvip.com/tag/smg530w/ but here is exactly what my phone said:
    SM-G530W Kingroot tripped knox ‘Custom binary Blocked by FRP secure fail kernel’
    "Hello all, I used the kingroot app on my galaxy grand prime g530w ( not the computer version ) and it tripped knox. Now when I boot my phone, it says ‘Custom binary Blocked by FRP, secure fail: kernel.’ "(Copy and paste is great)
    But this is spot on what happened to me. I know its probably an annoyance that I'm asking, I just dont feel like messing up my phone again. The reason I messed up is because of not enabling OEM? Thanks in advance for your patience man, I'm slow to reply

8. James L

James L Android Expert

Correct, if you don't enable oem unlock you will get the factory reset protection message, "FRP"

From what i saw on XDA. I would have to say Trap kernel is a better option. Especially if you prefer SuperSU over kinguser or whatever kingroot uses.

9. stinger17

stinger17 Lurker

Well cant I use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=darkslide.com.supersumepro&hl=en .? Then wouldnt I be able to switch them?

10. James L

James L Android Expert

Technically you should be able to do so. I also have a Grand prime but certain versions of Kingroot wouldn't let SuperSU me pro remove Kinguser. That may have been fixed not sure. That is the app i used to switch to SuperSU. I then edited the build prop to allow for native wifi tethering.

11. stinger17

stinger17 Lurker

You lost me on the last sentence, but I don't think I need to do that.I'm just doing this so I can move apps to my SD card, and I just wanna say switch over to SuperSu to say I have it in case I do need it. I'll try this out on Sunday, and it should work. Ill let you know what happens

12. stinger17

stinger17 Lurker

Ok well, the good news is my phone boots (yay). But I think Im stuck with Kinguser, at least for the time being. I downloaded SuperSu Me and it isnt going past "processing". Oh well. At least I can save apps to my SD card. Thanks for your help :)

13. James L

James L Android Expert

No problem.

Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime release date was October 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon 410 processor, and 2600mAh battery.

October 2014
Release Date
Reviews