1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Would the a100 be a good starter tablet?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Josh ouellette, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Josh ouellette

None

Jan 3, 2012
    Well my only android experience has been with the LG Optimus V (LG VM670). I got it with the intention of messing around with a smartphone and seeing if its for me.. I've fallen in love with android however I have no use for a cell phone, the few people I do talk to I use my landline for.

Since I use the phone strictly for browsing the web and messing around with apps at home over my wifi I'd like something with a bigger screen. The Optimus is just awful.. Having a 1.5" screen while using the keyboard... nightmare.. So I want a tablet.

I really want to stay at the $250 or less price range. I also want honeycomb as I've heard a lot of my apps won't work on a froyo or gingerbread tablet. After some research it seems to me the best honeycomb tab I can find in that price range is the iconia a100. Only other honeycomb I noticed is the archos 80 G9 8" and from reviews it seems not only is the iconia is better, but slightly cheaper now that most stores sell the a100 at 249 (used to be 329). I just want to make sure I get the best possible quality for my money. I'd be willing to go up to $300 if the price difference is really worth my while.

Also I doubt there is any comparison, but I'm assuming any tab would blow my LG VM670 out of the water performance wise, am I right?

Appreciate it :)

Advertisement

2. mpciii

mpciii Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 9, 2009
    VA
    I bought one for my kids for Christmas. Got it for $189 for Best Buy./ I really like it a lot. The kids (2, 3 and 6) all use it without any issues. The screen isn't the best but it is more than acceptable even when they are sharing it for a book or a show.

3. Tragg

Tragg Lurker
    None

Dec 8, 2011
    I bought mine at $250 which seems to be the going rate to catch one on sale (they have been on sale at $250 at Best Buy, WalMart, and GameStop). I bought at gamestop because you get some bonus games with it.

At this price you get pretty much the most bang for your buck. Its only $50 more than Nook or Fire but you get more hardware goodies and Honeycomb without haveing to immediately root the tablet.

I don't even have a smart phone, so this is definitely a learning device for me. Its not at all like my old PocketPC operating system. After reading reviews about this tablet and having one in my hands for a couple of weeks, there is no way i would start out with one of the low budget Chinese tablets.

4. Josh ouellette

None

Jan 3, 2012
    Thanks for the replies guys :) Does anyone have any idea when the A200 is coming to the usa. If it's february or march i might just hold out and pick up the red one, kind of attracted to it.

5. Tragg

Tragg Lurker
    None

Dec 8, 2011
    I don't know about the A200, but at CES show ASUS is supposed to debut a 7" model of their Tablet.

6. AndreQ

AndreQ Newbie
    None

Sep 12, 2011
    Toronto
    It is still the best value, today. Perhaps not in a month or two, but for today, there is no better buy!
    Seriously.

7. Tragg

Tragg Lurker
    None

Dec 8, 2011

If you surf to Android Tablet Forum they are reporting the A200 at $330 available Jan 15 and then an upgrade to Android 4 (Ice Cream Sandwich) in Feb. Note the specs that this is a 10" tablet and it may not have a rear camera (only front one listed).

I specifically want a smaller tablet 7-8". So I'm not interested it the A200. Only the upcoming 7" models from Google and Asus are of interest. However, those 2 don't really have any better hardware specs than the A100 and are supposed to be at the same price point $250. So they'll offer choices, but not so much better deals.

8. richardd43

richardd43 Newbie
    None

Mar 20, 2012
    Retired
    Edmonton Alberta
    I have the ASUS transformer and the A100 and I am really impressed with the A100.

It is not quite as robust as the Transformer but it is not far behind.

I would recommend the A100 to anyone looking for a 7" tablet.