• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would you buy it again?

I probably would have gone the way of the Droid when I bought the Eris in November, if I could do it again.

The Incredible is due out soon, as is the Nexus One, although the Incredible seems to be closer to release judging by the number of pics and hands-ons that have been released.

I used to think the Nexus was the way to go, but now, after reading about all the problems with the screen and it not being as good as the competition, the Incredible seems like a smarter choice, especially once rooted.

Upvote 0
Yes, I would buy it again. To me the Eris represents the best balance between small form factor and versatility of anything out there right now. And im still running 1.5.

The gripes I hear people have that the Eris' normal cell phone functions are buggy are common to ALL smartphones - I've yet to hear of a smartphone that performs basic cell phone functions well. And to me, that's our (the users) fault, by letting these companies get away with it. Just reading this forum, you can see why - people get so bedazzled by all the bells and whistles that they forget that these devices are not that great at their most basic use: as cell phones "(Wow - this 2.1 OS is great! Now, if I could only send and receive phone calls...").
And we don't demand better.

Im not an Apple hater - I think the iphone is a terrific device, but it's a horrendous phone. Blackberries are fantastic at email. But they're lousy phones. The companies don't bother making the devices become better phones, bc the public is hooked on the bells and whistles.

And that's my old man's gripe for today ;) . But yeah, I would get an Eris again.

Upvote 0
Yes, I would buy it again. To me the Eris represents the best balance between small form factor and versatility of anything out there right now. And im still running 1.5.

The gripes I hear people have that the Eris' normal cell phone functions are buggy are common to ALL smartphones - I've yet to hear of a smartphone that performs basic cell phone functions well. And to me, that's our (the users) fault, by letting these companies get away with it. Just reading this forum, you can see why - people get so bedazzled by all the bells and whistles that they forget that these devices are not that great at their most basic use: as cell phones "(Wow - this 2.1 OS is great! Now, if I could only send and receive phone calls...").

Im not an Apple hater - I think the iphone is a terrific device, but it's a horrendous phone. Blackberries are fantastic at email. But they're lousy phones. The companies don't bother making the devices become better phones, bc the public is hooked on the bells and whistles.

And that's my old man's gripe for today ;) . But yeah, I would get an Eris again.

Upvote 0
What I don't understand from the people who are "so unhappy" with the Eris why wouldn't you have exchanged it for a diffrent phone ?

I didn't like the Droid so I exchanged it for the Eris and if I wouldn't have like the Eris I probably would have exchanged it for a Palm Pre. I just don't get why someone would buy something and be "so unhappy" with but yet still keep it. That's why things come with 14 and 30 day return/exchange policies

Upvote 0
When I bought it in December, I thought for sure that the next HTC phone would come out by January. It didn't, so I'm really glad I took the plunge when I did. Also, I got two of these (one for me, one for the wife) for FREE, which made it worthwhile.

Even today, I might take this phone for free instead of the HTC Incredible or Nexus One at whatever price they'll be (I'm assuming $149 or $199), because it's hard to complain about a free phone. Even those phones will be obsolete within a few months when Verizon gets LTE or "4G" phones.

Upvote 0
What I don't understand from the people who are "so unhappy" with the Eris why wouldn't you have exchanged it for a diffrent phone ?

I didn't like the Droid so I exchanged it for the Eris and if I wouldn't have like the Eris I probably would have exchanged it for a Palm Pre. I just don't get why someone would buy something and be "so unhappy" with but yet still keep it. That's why things come with 14 and 30 day return/exchange policies

I bought my phone from ebay. I try to buy phones from 3rd parties as to not get locked into contracts w/ Verizon. No return policy when buying that way.

Upvote 0
If all of the phones that are out or announced now were announced back in November when I bought it? Yes I would. I was waiting for an inexpensive (as far as up front cost) Android phone to come to Verizon. My contract had been up for a few months and I had my discount. The Eris fit all of the criteria I was waiting for and wanted. The other phones are overpowered for my needs. I'm a techy person, but also try to be good with my money and make researched decisions. So it works for me.

Upvote 0

I think this is a great post. Although I haven't used a single minute of my 450 minutes this month. I rarely use the device as a phone. Everyone I know texts and occasionally I'll use my cell for work if I'm on the road for the day. But that's rare and I haven't had much of a problem yet

Upvote 0
i'd get the Nexus One. I would not buy the eris again.

I am thinking about getting an Eris. If you could do it all over again, would you still buy it? I've read a ton of reviews but what do *you* think the pros and cons are?

EDIT: I am aware of the new phones coming out. I found this looking for info on the Incredible. I've been jerked around by the rumors of that phone for so long, I'm not sure I want it anymore. I don't think I want to spend that kind of money on a phone anymore. Now I am looking for something more affordable but still functional.

Upvote 0
I really like my Eris....you can ask my wife if you don't believe me :eek:......
I got mine in November just after the release and went in looking at the Moto but just didn't like the way it felt, nor the physical keyboard, but I'm not an avid texter so I really don't have a use for a fast keyboard. I did like the speed of the Droid, however, since my buddy has his Droid I've seen him do more than one battery pull and he acts as though its a normal thing to do.
I haven't experianced any lag issues that make me regret my choice, but I'm also not expecting as much out of these devices as I see a lot of people on these forums do and I run "Home" and only two widgets.
If I were shopping for a new phone today, I, personally, would wait for a 1ghz phone like the Increadible. I wouldn't go with the Nexus as its just too new and buggy IMO.
I'm really impressed with the HTC phones and I'll for sure stick with one for my next purchase in 15 months 2 days 9 hours 10 minutes and 28 seconds.....:D

Upvote 0
I would for sure. It's the best phone on Verizon right now in my opinion and because they have the best service and I hate the iPhone because it cannot multitask I would never switch. I love the Sense interface and until the Desire or Incredible comes out for Verizon it will continue to be the best phone on Verizon. I came from a Touch Pro 2 which I really liked but Android is far superior to WinMo.

+1

This is, for a lot of reasons, the best phone available on the best network possible (Verizon).

Without taking consideration into rooting + overclocking + optimizing (which all voids your warranty, technically, anyway), the Droid is in many instances SLOWER than the Eris.

Why? It has 400,000+ pixels to push on every screen, when the Eris has ~154,000. Even with a dedicated GPU and faster processor, it's a slower device in many respects.

Home on Eris is FASTER than Home on Droid.

Other than not having a camera flash, and CONSIDERING the imminent upgrade to 2.1, I would definitely buy Eris again.

I just got one of my friends to buy it (right now Verizon's running a smart phone promotion - as long as you've been with them for 6 months+, and the smartphone is an Upgrade for your plan, you get it at the New Every 2 price, even if you JUST got a phone) and he couldn't be happier, even knowing that new phones are coming very soon.

That being said, even if you like root, there's a good chance that the newer HTC phones, like the Incredible, for Verizon, will NOT be rootable. The Eris was locked up incredibly tight. We got lucky and a ROM got leaked. For me, because I have it rooted, I'm already sold on it. Would an N1 be better? I would say no, without SenseUI, even though it's faster.

The point?

For me, SenseUI + form factor (physical call/end buttons) + better touchscreen than droid (or non-HTC phones) + rootability (for me anyway) + being a great phone on its own (IMO) = YES on the Eris.

I'd like the N1 better when it comes out, if it had SenseUI and physical call/end buttons, and the Incredible better if it were Rootable.

For me: Eris is #1. Even though the processor is 3 years old. Speed is a convenience. Sometimes it's not there. Functionality is all I care about.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones