• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would you buy Nexus S?

I'm planning on getting it. In fact, I'm even planning on leaving AT&T for it.

I always said, "If the Galaxy S just had a flash and working GPS, I'd get it." Well the Nexus S has all of that plus the pure Google experience, so it's a win/win.

Well said, my good fellow. I feel the exact same way about all of this. I am getting tired, though of people having the complaint of "No HSPA+, booo". Well, guess what. It's not a T-Mobile phone, so get over it. This phone was developed without input from T-Mobile and was probably being designed before T-Mobile turned on HSPA+. Besides, all phones receive a boost from HSPA+ even if they aren't specifically HSPA+ phones.

I also was a bit unsure of the lack of LED. I love my Trackball notifications on the N1, but then I realized I don't really pay much attention to it anyway, so it's not a huge issue.

As for the SD card, I would love to get some truthful answers on how often people really switch out their SD cards. I put a 16GB card in my N1 and haven't touched it since then, so this isn't an issue for me.

Upvote 0
As for the SD card, I would love to get some truthful answers on how often people really switch out their SD cards. I put a 16GB card in my N1 and haven't touched it since then, so this isn't an issue for me.

I don't think swapping the card is the issue. I think it's the fact that it's limited to 16GB when quite a few of us have 32GB cards. Another issue would be when getting a new phone, it would be a heck of a lot easier to swap the memory card full of music/videos/photos than copying it all over again.

...and the other stuff sucks a little yes, but I can deal with it. The lack of the microSD slot is the only thing keeping me from buying it at the moment.

Upvote 0
I think this phone is going to become an orphaned step child in short order. Who is going to support it? I think I will wait a few months.

What do you think the Nexus One was? Support for it ended within two months. Hell, within six, you couldn't even get a replacement N1 if it was damaged. Assurion stuck people with inferior replacements. With this phone being sold at Best Buy, I see no reason for it to not get better support than the N1 did.

Upvote 0
I think this phone is going to become an orphaned step child in short order. Who is going to support it? I think I will wait a few months.
You aren't serious are you?Google will support it better than any manufacturer it carrier supports any other phone. Being stock Android, unlocked, and the official developer phone there will be no shortage for a development community.

Upvote 0
My dilemma right now is choosing between the Nexus S and the Desire HD, from what I know in Canada the price is going to be around 550$ for the nexus S, and I can get the DHD for 780$, big difference.

I've been drooling over the DHD for months, but I think I'll end up getting the Nexus S, though I wish it had offline maps ,surround sound and something that resembles the htcsense.com remote control like the DHD !!!

(damn, those consumeristic decisions !!!)

It has offline maps, it also has the best codec of all android phones to date, making the sound an obvious win for the Nexus S, and if you root it you can get voodoo sound :p
HTCSense.com is kind of useless, but there are alternatives if you are so damn scared of losing your phone :|

It also features a stronger processor (but the fpu unit is weaker though), a much much much stronger graphics card, superior screen, superior sound, better design and lighter weight, official google support, gyroscope, curved screen (nice when you call people :3 ), no HTC bloatware (some might like it), MUCH MUCH MUCH better camera, the 8 megapixel camera on the Desire hD is trash compared, also the fron facing camera is better, the speaker is much clearer and tons less distorted, NFC chip, faster ram (less ram though), much better batterylife (1500mAh vs 1250mAh), Android 2.3 (soon 2.4 :3 ), Noice isolation software, easier to root, better game support, more responsive touch screen (Super Amoled feature). I could go on and on, but I'm tired x)
Nexus S > Desire HD

BTW: Sorry for reviving this thread, just had to :O

Upvote 0
Yes and I'm gonna trade my inspire for it. I don't care about hspa + and the non removable SD. I won't ever use that 16 and I'm almost never using my data always on.wifi so I would rather have great and current software than useless hardware
3 phones in less than 3 months...Andrea, I think you've beaten CarmenDiva on being a phone whore! :p

Upvote 0
Lol better than being an actual whore lol

I dont know how many times I've been called that...a phone whore lol
Had my EVO for a little while since launch up until a couple weeks ago, went back to a palm pre then a few days later upgraded to the Epic :p
Now I'm impatiently waiting and finickly trying to decide to keep my rooted and overclocked epic or jump ship to the nexus??? Is my keyboard that important? nah probably not lol barely use it now.
other than the keyboard are the internals pretty much the same??

Upvote 0
I dont know how many times I've been called that...a phone whore lol
Had my EVO for a little while since launch up until a couple weeks ago, went back to a palm pre then a few days later upgraded to the Epic :p
Now I'm impatiently waiting and finickly trying to decide to keep my rooted and overclocked epic or jump ship to the nexus??? Is my keyboard that important? nah probably not lol barely use it now.
other than the keyboard are the internals pretty much the same??

I freaking miss mY nexus S and am impatiently waiting for an att version :$

Upvote 0
NO!!!!!!

If i samsung will let me return my $500 nexus s phone i will do it.

my phone is still broken and Samsung still have them ..

and we have bunch user experiencing the same thing.

you can follow the forum here --> Nexus S goes into some sort of fault state - Google Mobile Help

Dude, it's you and like 10 other people in the world that are experiencing this problem. 80% of the people on that thread are complaining about the reboot issue fixed in the 2.3.3 update. You are part of a small minority experiencing a hardware issue and just need to RMA your phone. I know Samsung's RMA process is horrendously bad, but it's your only choice. Go ahead and sell your Nexus S once you get it back in working order if you want. You could probably still get $400-$500 for it.

Upvote 0
Dude, it's you and like 10 other people in the world that are experiencing this problem. 80% of the people on that thread are complaining about the reboot issue fixed in the 2.3.3 update. You are part of a small minority experiencing a hardware issue and just need to RMA your phone. I know Samsung's RMA process is horrendously bad, but it's your only choice. Go ahead and sell your Nexus S once you get it back in working order if you want. You could probably still get $400-$500 for it.

Quoted for truth

Upvote 0
10 users? Really? Did you follow the thread in google forums? 57 users currently confirm that they are experiencing same issue (igoogle forum alone) and most of them already Sent their phone 3 times! Not 1! And still having and dealing with a NEXUS S that doesnt work!!

I admit not everyone deal with it. But more than 50 users confirmed is dissapointing!

For those who really want to know the real story just follow the link and read until the last page.

Also is it just not REBOOT problem. Read the thread dude.

Nexus S goes into some sort of fault state - Google Mobile Help

Upvote 0
10 users? Really? Did you follow the thread in google forums? 57 users currently confirm that they are experiencing same issue (igoogle forum alone) and most of them already Sent their phone 3 times! Not 1! And still having and dealing with a NEXUS S that doesnt work!!

I admit not everyone deal with it. But more than 50 users confirmed is dissapointing!

For those who really want to know the real story just follow the link and read until the last page.

50 users out of a750,000 sold isnt that big a deal

Upvote 0

I know it's not just the reboot problem that 2.3.3 fixed. I'm saying that a lot of the people claiming to have your problem are confusing it with the 2.3.3 remedied problem. The Google Employee even stated as much in the two pinned answers.

Upvote 0
57 users in GOOGLE FORUM alone! and counting...

New buyer? Do you want to Join us? Personally i would say NO! Until they fix the issue.

bro i had the nexus S a few months back on tmobile had no issues, sorry your having such issues but dont hate on the phone. There is a group with every phone that has issues, its the way it is look at thunderbolt, iphone 4, inspire, atrix etc etc

Upvote 0
bro i had the nexus S a few months back on tmobile had no issues, sorry your having such issues but dont hate on the phone. There is a group with every phone that has issues, its the way it is look at thunderbolt, iphone 4, inspire, atrix etc etc

Few months back? Your lucky that you get rid of it. Coz this happen to all of us couple of weeks ago.

As i said before if i have a choice i will return it. New buyer can do what they want im not stoping you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones