1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Would you buy one again (Verizon version)?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by WA_Bob, Apr 24, 2012.

1. WA_Bob

WA_Bob Android Expert
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    Male
    Forester
    West edge of the East Texas Piney Woods
    Someone I know is asking me about getting a Verizon Galaxy Nexus now that the price has dropped a bit. Not knowing too much about it other than what I've read and knowing you more often hear about the problems with a phone than the positives, I wanted to see if I could get some opinions.

So, for those who have one, would you buy it again given your experiences with it or do you have buyers remorse? I'm honestly hoping for more than a "Hell Yes" "Hell No!" - more along the lines of what y'all do and don't like about it and why you'd buy it again or not.

Enquiring minds are curious and thanks for your thoughts! :hmmmm2:

Advertisement

jjwillis likes this.
  2. kool kat2

kool kat2 Android Expert
    None

May 21, 2011
    Male
    Carson, CA
    I loved that phone. I sold it because of signal strength. Too many times it didn't get data speeds it was supposed to get. I say Hell No! My spectrum it's doing a fine job of giving me consistent 4g and not making me say to myself "let me wait a bit so my video doesn't buffer"

WA_Bob likes this.
  3. viebroccoli

viebroccoli Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 9, 2012
    Automation Intern
    Harrisburg, PA
    Yeah, I would buy it again. And heck, at that price, absolutely! Newer doesn't always mean better, and a developer phone is a great thing to have. I could keep going, but I'll sum it up with a "Hell Yes!" Good look to that someone you know looking for a phone.

WA_Bob likes this.
  4. sx4dude2013

sx4dude2013 Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2010
    Student
    Georgia
    Best phone ive had to date! Yea, i would buy again!

5. Demache

Demache Android Expert
    None

Apr 18, 2010
    Sioux Falls, SD
    No. Because I already have one, lol.

But damn, its probably the slickest Android device I've ever used. Its ridiculous how smooth everything is. And multitasking doesn't destroy the device's performance.

Fortunately, I don't have the same signal issues that many folks have. Which is actually impressive since I'm in rural S. Dakota often. 3G data speeds are slow, but my Eris had that issue too, so I think its a network thing.

But lots of 4G coverage on the interstates and towns near to interstates. Good on Verizon on that part.

Sandroidfan and WA_Bob like this.
  6. dguy

dguy Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Male
    I like the Nexus but I would like a Razr Maxx more so...

AndroidFanKyle and WA_Bob like this.
  7. ALurker

ALurker Well-Known Member
    None

May 23, 2010
    SE Pa
    Nope. I

red66charger likes this.
  8. trophynuts

trophynuts Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I work in a Tech related field. Have been in a tec
    SouthEastern US
    to answer your question. No i would not.

pwned, VoidedSaint and WA_Bob like this.
  9. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Android Expert
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Designer/Drafter
    O-town Florida
    if you are going to keep it stock, i would say no....not right now (but after the 4.0.4 update i would say differently)

if you plan on rooting and throwing on a ROM...HELL YES!!
    i had the 4.0.4 radios and 4.0.4 ROM since day 3 and this has been the most stable, smooth and perfect phone for me. no signal issues, great camera, Zero random reboots,12-14 hours of constant 4g useage. its an amazing device, just kinda sad verizon is crippling it with slow updates.

WA_Bob likes this.
  10. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert
    None

Nov 2, 2009
    Male
    Phila, PA
    Personally, I would. No question. I love it and it works great for me.

For you though, it depends on a few things.

1. How you use your device...especially how much you use it. Are you on it all day? Are you a heavy data user and voice caller? Do you stream a lot of music or watch YouTube? All of those things will drain battery, ESPECIALLY over 4G and to a lesser extent 3G.

If you are heavy into any of those things, and aren't on Wifi most of the day, you will run into battery issues. This can easily be resolved with a charger at work or a spare battery you can swap in (assuming you aren't the type who opposes such things.)

If you are a mild user during the day - checking email, sending a few texts, making a few phone calls, surfing the web here and there.... you should be fine. Especially if you can access Wifi during the day.

2. Verizon coverage in your area (work and home). If you are in a strong coverage area, the phone should be fine for you (keeping in mind that 4G is a battery hog). If you are in a borderline area, many users experience signal problems resulting in battery drain and some report dropped calls. Check Verizon's maps for 3G and 4G. If you are 4G borderline but strong 3G, turn off 4G when its iffy and you'll be fine.

Other than those 2 caveats, I think this phone is outstanding. And if Verizon ever releases the next update and it resolves the signal issues, it should be a top choice on Big Red for all but extremely heavy users who hate chargers or spare batteries.

WA_Bob and Sandroidfan like this.
  11. Outatime

Outatime Android Expert

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Fed
    A thunderous, resounding YES. I love this phone.

WA_Bob likes this.
  12. AppsRUs

AppsRUs Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 6, 2010
    East Coast
    No.
    I don't believe its the 'phone' that's making it slick. Its the OS. I got it because I knew 4.0 would take months to get on the other [skinned] phones and I did not want to go through that again. The signal strength is just...shoddy. Its as if they forgot they were developing a phone. The purpose of these are to call and text, yes? I haven't even fully experienced 4G yet. Can't hold onto it to save my life. I also was sold on the idea that we'd be getting major updates first. I wasn't aware Verizon would be dropped from Google's developer support, so now we're just kind of hanging out with the rest of the skinned devices waiting for updates.

Honestly? If I had to do it all over again, I'd end my contract and go to AT&T. The HTC One X, the Galaxy Note, and [expected] Galaxy S3 are all on that network. Meanwhile, back at the ranch here, we're bombarded with Motorola devices with fugly designs filled to the brim with bloatware and Droid branding. HTC, Samsung, LG, and Pantech don't stand a chance with Big Red over Motorola. We're so busy getting Razr'd no other flagship device can even step up to the plate.

Edit: I'm almost to that point where I'm okay with throwing $600 at the S3 if Verizon gets a version, but by the time the company modifies it to fit Verizon's 'standards' (as if they had any), it will be so bastardized, limited, and full of bloat I'm sure it won't be the same experience. When will developers grow a pair and stand up to these companies? If it were up to me, if you want to carry our phone you abide by our rules, not the other way around. Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and the other carriers only make money off the plans. Without the phones they have nothing. Who has more leverage here?

13. omawb

omawb Newbie
    None

Oct 11, 2010
    No way. I have never had a phone I couldn't talk on. This has been a bad experience, kept waiting for the magical update, but gave up and moved on. The store manager didn't even pretend that replacing with a different G Nex would make it better, he was well aware of the issues.

WA_Bob likes this.
  14. AntiApple23

AntiApple23 Newbie
    None

Mar 20, 2012
    Not a chance...I spent over an hour yesterday on the phone with Verizon because I have spotty service on my 3rd gnex...and today had two phone calls where the person on the other line couldn't hear me... Great to protential horrible phone !!

WA_Bob likes this.
  15. trophynuts

None

Jul 6, 2010
    SouthEastern US
    OP if you can you might want to think about editing your first post and adding a Poll if it will let you. That way people can just vote yes or no. Unless you already have enough info to go off of.

WA_Bob likes this.
  16. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Between Imladris and Lothl
    I'm not so sure I would. As others said above I feel it has untapped potential which isn't being fully realized.

My battery life is miserable and the radios are questionable. As a Nexus I expected rapid updates (my expectations, I realize) and have received none (I don't count 4.02 on day 1). It has problems which they (Google, Samsung, Verizon, who knows?) don't seem to be in a hurry to address. My DX already had 2 updates by this time.

Had I known it was going to go like this during the pre-launch frenzy and delays, I would have waited for the next big thing to come out, like I am now.

It's not a bad phone, it's just a bit buggy which would be cool if there was an indication somebody was in a hurry to fix it.

17. viebroccoli

viebroccoli Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 9, 2012
    Automation Intern
    Harrisburg, PA
    To all the people writing about how they wouldn't buy their Nexus again due to bugs and lack of updates:

Yes, the phone has issues, but those issues are not as big of a deal as people make them out to be. Are you tired of your 4G signal being lost and reverting to 3G, then back to 4G, then back to 3G again? All while sucking down the battery? Turn off 4G. Stick with 3G, and that issue should be gone. Personally, I prefer to having higher data speeds than battery life. Let's also not forget, that just because you wait for a newer phone doesn't mean that it will be less flawed than the Nexus.

WA_Bob likes this.
  18. trophynuts

None

Jul 6, 2010
    SouthEastern US
    doesn't help me. I'm a big fan of turning 4G off. My phone gets crap reception even in forced 3G mode. Including dropped calls and data connection going to sleep. It's not just 4G with me and many others. It's any cell signal at all.

lennydude, ALurker and WA_Bob like this.
  19. samwapp

samwapp Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 1, 2012
    Without a doubt, yes. I came from a Droid X, and the sleekness of this phone is amazing. It's screen is brilliant, the speed is lightning fast, and 4G is such a pleasure. No hesitation.

WA_Bob likes this.
  20. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Central TX
    Yes, I would. The hardware is very good.
    This update fiasco is very frustrating. But once it comes out and addresses many issues, I think the general consensus here will turn very positive.

WA_Bob likes this.
  21. kool kat2

kool kat2 Android Expert
    None

May 21, 2011
    Male
    Carson, CA

Ive had many 4g phones. Thunderbolt, Charge, Bionic, RAZR, Spectrum....

None of these phones have me signal issues. All got great 4g and 3g. Their 4g never acted like 3g. It was more of a difference at work. Where all these phones have me enough to stream HQ YouTube videos, the nexus gave me buffering constantly. Now if i was out in the open with no roof, then i would get decent 4g and signal in general.... If that's what i wanted, however, i would switch to AT&T.

Unfortunately, these issues are legitimate and crippling to what could have been an awesome phone.

trophynuts and WA_Bob like this.
  22. WA_Bob

WA_Bob Android Expert
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    Male
    Forester
    West edge of the East Texas Piney Woods
    Honestly, what I've been reading is exactly what I wanted to know. The GNex has been getting mixed reviews from everything I've read in "official" press and I just wanted to know how it's doing in the real world. And from what I see, I wouldn't recommend it to my friend because he's not a tinkerer and would use it stock. He's better off with something that would need less tinkering to keep it going from the sounds of it.

If you want to shut down this thread so it isn't a public nuisance Trophy, I have no problems with that. I greatly appreciate everyone's time and input to help out! I really enjoy this community for being helpful like this and not going all XDA on me! ;)

BTW: I'd be all over the Galaxy Note if it came to Verizon, but I'll stick to my Rezound until something better comes along.

trophynuts likes this.
  23. jbdan

jbdan Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2010
    atl ga usa
    Yes. It is splendid. Everything works like I would have expected it to. Phone calls, LTE data, WIFI, Bluetooth, the screen is awesome, the design/form factor rocks, ICS rocks, great music player, camera is more than satisfactory, the speaker on the back could have been a higher quality unit, but it does the job.

WA_Bob likes this.
  24. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Android Expert
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Yep.

WA_Bob likes this.
  25. DannyJSlone

DannyJSlone Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 19, 2012
    I word in a heart beat. I have rooted the phone and run a rom that allows me to use full screen so I don't have the nav buttons. After rooting I get great battery life. I can't imagine going to a different phone. I also flashed the newer radios so I don't have the problem with data loss. I can from a Droid incredible that I loved. But now I can't even think about going to a phone that is not vanilla android. Best phone I have ever owned.

WA_Bob likes this.
Tags: