1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Would you ditch Samsung for somebody else?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mikes1, Dec 12, 2013.

1. mikes1

mikes1 Android Enthusiast

I will have an opportunity to upgrade soon from my S3 and am wondering what other people would do. I'm thinking in February and I don't know what will be out then but has Samsung turned anybody off yet? I was thinking Motorola and actually I was at my brothers house and a brand new blackberry was sent to his house by accident and it seemed pretty awesome until we found it's rightful owner...unfortunately. Now I've liked my S3 but I've also felt that it has underperformed. The battery was never great, on Verizon it is limited as well and the updates seemingly never show up. I know Verizon loves Motorola so maybe it would be a good idea. I'm not too sure about HTC. And even though I liked the blackberry device itself, I doubt the market and interface is something I'll really want. I still like android but I feel like Samsung is kind of eh anymore. Also I never seemed to get good signal on my s3 compared to other phones.

Does anybody have any advice for upgrades or brands? Or even S5 rumors? I don't care about all the stupid gimmicks anymore like waving my hand at the thing and having it track my eyes. I really don't care. I just want a solid phone with good signal and battery life. Any ideas?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. stephen65

stephen65 Well-Known Member

Yeah I would if there is a better alternative out there that I liked. I've had Motorola and LG phones before. I really don't think there's that much difference between phones nowadays to be a strict brand loyalist.

3. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

I hate samsung and if my s3 was to die right now, if i had the cash id get a moto x or a nexus5 or an LG G2.
    I dont have the cash so id save a bit and buy the Moto G.
    My s3 has been so good to me and with custom roms it still impresses me every day (ive had it since launch) but im a loyal type of person and out of principle ill probably never buy samsung again for various reasons :thumbup:

4. jackroo

jackroo Android Enthusiast

I think Samsung got too confident of themselves. They're churning out top notch devices with gimmicks and all sorts of stuff but at the same time they're lacking in the software department (4.3 is an embarrassment). Like Funky said if he had the cash he'd go for a Nexus device. I would probably go that same route if I wasn't in contract now.

5. mikes1

Thanks. My S3 has been good too and I've had it a few days before launch because they shipped it to me a week early and it's been nice, but I'm just not sure if I would want another Samsung. Every now and them really weird things happen to it and even though it has been good overall I feel it is still really lacking. Phone call quality isn't great. Reception in general sucks as opposed to my old Motorola that I had before this. I'll have to give those other phones a look and see the details. I'm not great with this stuff and I don't root so I'm not looking for anything crazy. I'll still have the S3 as a nice backup anyway.

6. mikes1

And I'm not 100% positive but I don't think I can get a nexus with Verizon. Every other cell company doesn't get good enough reception where I live so I'm kind of stuck with Verizon.

7. whatsup

whatsup Newbie

I have a gs2 and to b honest I loved the iPhone. But I like bigger screens so switched back to gs2 but the newer iPhones screens aren't thatching smaller. I think I'll b switching back to iPhone.

8. mydian

mydian Android Expert

This is my second Samsung phone and just like the last their updates are disasters. I was really hoping that a flagship phone would get better updates but I guess not. I will be avoiding another Samsung if I can. I'm leaning towards Motorola.

9. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Yeah, I'd check out the LG G2 if I wasn't broke.

10. mikes1

Many thanks! I'll have to go to a store and check some out in person. I liked the features of the moto x just from checking the website. I couldn't tell if it has an SD slot though. That's something that is important to me.

11. svensett

svensett Android Enthusiast

I'm considering replacing mine with a Droid Maxx or LG G2. The only 2 real issues I have with my phone is poor GPS performance and battery drain in weaker signal areas.

GPS is a major frustration. I can open GPS Status and it sees 20+ satellites. It will regularly take 30+ seconds to start acquiring them, and then it won't lock signal until there are at least 6 satellite fixes. Then if I close GPS Status and open Maps, it has completely forgot where it was and has to go thru the whole process again... I have an Droid Razr and Nexus 7 that both are almost instantaneous locks.

Battery is annoying, but manageable if I know when I'm in a fringe area.

Like I said, I'm between the Maxx and the G2. Both seem to be well thought of for both battery life and reception. I'm leaning towards the Maxx due to positive past Motorola experiences but the G2 is tempting.

12. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

If you want an SD slot then there lies the problem :( i could probably live with 32GB internal though.
    I think youre right about Verizon not doing the nexus5. Think i read someone say that today :thumbup:

13. mikes1

Yeah I would need 32 GB min. I have the 16 S3 with a 16 card and it works but my card is nearly full so 16 built in alone wouldn't be enough. I saw the G2 today and it is very tempting.

14. saptech

saptech Android Expert

I haven't had smartphones long enough to really know what is what, but my contract with Verizon is up and I'm not sticking with them. I could stay and get a subsidized phone like a Moto X, LG G2 or whatever but I do not want to stay with Vzw. I did end up buying a Moto G and will probably go with Tmobile and their $30 prepaid deal.
    Money is a big factor for me, so this will be the best deal for me.

The wife however upgraded her phone and got a Samsung S3, which is a big improvement for her. The previous phones she had when we first got smartphones was disasters. She had a Droid Inc2 and had nothing but troubles, then she got a refurbished phone that was crap, thats when she was able to upgrade and got the S3 and another 2 yr contract with Vzw.

15. ChuckFitz

ChuckFitz Lurker

I'm definitely looking at the Nexus 5 for my next upgrade. Or the HTC One's successor.

16. Larzuk

Larzuk Well-Known Member

Would I? Yes, Although things would have to go bad with the S3 for that to happen. I had every intention on buying a G Nexus 5 the day after the 4.3 update broke my Galaxy S3 beyond toleration. However, That did not happen and the 4.3 update actually made the phone better, So I will continue my service with Virgin Mobile which is bar none the best cellular experience (LTE speeds and call reception) I've ever had of all carriers.

17. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert

Interesting thread. :)

Back in the "olden days" I was a Nokia loyalist (I know Symbian better than I know Android and my N900 running Maemo 5 was and still is my all time favourite device).

I will stick with Samsung - for now anyway, but only because they have an SD card slot. I cannot cope with all this cloud based computing and storage. While LTE is making it more feasible the signal on all carriers here in the UK is just not good enough to rely on "The Cloud" to store all I need. If I could get 99% HSPDA (or better LTE) everywhere I go for work then my current loyalty to Samsung would be binned for a Nexus device. By the time I get an upgrade on either of my two contracts it will be summer 2015, who actually knows what will be available then ?

Changing subject slightly, if (and it will never happen) Nokia were ever to do a top specced Android phone with a Pure View camera and SD card slot I'd buy one contract free and on launch day. The credit card would take a hit, but my god that would be a phone worth having.

18. philayl

philayl Android Expert

Number one priority for me is a replaceable battery, unfortunately this limits the choice quite a lot. Phil

19. mikes1

So many good ideas. SD card slot and replaceable battery are huge advantages to me. I still have some time to think and maybe by February something nice will come out. I heard Samsung is launching a Note 3 lite in February but I'm still unsure if I want another Samsung. I only mention it because I saw a news article about it today. I like having a physical home button too. I haven't had a 4.3 update here yet...from what people have been saying about the S3 and 4.3 I am quite scared. When my droid x updated to gingerbread it was unusable and forced me to buy a new phone. I don't want to experience the same thing

20. BynoUK

BynoUK Android Enthusiast

Already have, bought a Nexus 5 the minute they went on sale and I love it, still got my S3 as it's a great phone as a spare :)

21. Yatezy

Yatezy Android Enthusiast

I'm unsure tbh. I love the idea of a nexus but mainly because of the development side of things.

For everything else I'd have to check out a HTC since they generally match Samsung for specs but churn out beautiful looking phones.

At the minute tho with 4.4 looking like a great update I'm pretty content so there's really no reason for me to upgrade since my phone has never felt better tbh.

22. mikes1

Is the S3 getting 4.4? Since I'm on Verizon I never know what the hell is going on

23. Yatezy

Yatezy Android Enthusiast

I'd honestly be surprised if they didn't get it. I'm on a custom rom and so far 4.4 runs amazingly.

24. mikes1

Maybe I could hold off on upgrading then. I still like the phone. It's had some funky issues but nothing lingered. I'm really not loving the battery and reception though, however, I think the positives of this phone outweigh the negatives so far. I appreciate all the responses

25. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

I've owned my SGS3 for a year and a half now. Last month, I was very tempted by the Nexus 5. After mulling it over, I decided to stick with my SGS3. The reason was that the SGS3 is still a very good phone and suits my needs very well. The latest 4.3 update was a noticeable improvement over 4.1.2. I couldn't justify buying a new phone when I am still very happy with my current one. I can see myself using it for at least another year.

When it is time to get a new phone, I will make my decision based on what is available then. It's hard to say if I will get a Samsung phone or a phone from another company. Who knows what can happen in a year or more? Smartphone technology is advancing at an amazing rate. All I can say is that I am very satisfied with my SGS3. I felt this phone has exceeded my expectations so far and is the best phone I have ever used.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews