• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would you ever own a mac?

Idk about mac,
I do know windows gives Service Packs and security updates.

Linux is the only one where you can upgrade whole builds free of charge though,
as long as you are using a non-proprietary distro.

Macs provide the same level and types of updates and incremental version changes for free that Windows does.

When it comes time to upgrade the whole version level to the latest OS, OS X is far less expensive than Window plus for a little more, you can get a family pack license and update a bunch.

And there are no home or professional versions - just the OS.

On free+paid upgrades, Mac wins.

On free and unlimited, Linux wins.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Macs provide the same level and types of updates and incremental version changes for free that Windows does.

When it comes time to upgrade the whole version level to the latest OS, OS X is far less expensive than Window plus for a little more, you can get a family pack license and update a bunch.

And there are no home or professional versions - just the OS.

There's no country specific versions of Mac OS either. Unlike Windows where there's a special China version, which I'm sure is monitored and has government back-doors, and Micro$oft deliberately makes it difficult to get hold of and use normal international ones. Same with Skype and Office as well.

Upvote 0
I've never owned a Mac, but I know a few people who have them (or have had them)... and they've all liked them. In fact, they say that the resale value holds much better than comparable windows boxes, also, seems like Macs seem to be in use longer... That could just be the people I know or see, but I see a lot of older Macs still in use.

That being said, I'm typing this on a dell that is five plus years old. :/

There's no country specific versions of Mac OS either. Unlike Windows where there's a special China version, which I'm sure is monitored and has government back-doors, and Micro$oft deliberately makes it difficult to get hold of and use normal international ones. Same with Skype and Office as well.
It really would be interesting to get a diff of the China version compared to the other releases.... let's see what's really going on under the hood ;)

Upvote 0
Like I stated earlier I am not a power user and most of my time is spent on phone or tablet unless I have to use a site or program that can only be used on laptop or desktop. I went to put my laptop into my tv to stream Dexter via hdmi and was having problems getting the two to connect. I took to my wise teacher, Google, to figure out the problem and was subsequently lost in a sea of techno mumbo jumbo about graphics drivers, bios versions, etc. and was just hoping macs were different. Any time I have had a problem with getting something to work on my laptop, I can never find support for the laymen. I have no desire or need to really get to know Windows and that's why I'm conflating macs.

Upvote 0
The problem with stereotypes is that they're as true as anything else on the internet. - Abraham Lincoln, 1859

QFT, since Abe invented the internet. And looks pretty awesome killing Zombies...

Anyway, to stay on topic.

Would I own a mac? Yes, most definitely. Sure, the hardware is proprietary and whatnot, but they are nice machines.

The only problem? I can't afford one.

If I could, though, I would.

Upvote 0
Never in my life will I own an iPhone. BUT, I am a VERY PROUD owner of a Late 2008 Mac book 13". Wouldn't trade it for anything in the world except for a MacBook pro.

Apple iPhone = Garbage.
Apple MacBook = only success.

No virus. I dont even have a virus protection on my laptop to be honest! I'm also a very frequent user of torrents. Never have any problems.

Simplicity. They NAILED it in the macs. I phones? Boring and TOO simple.

Running windows programs? Most have an alternate version for Mac, or even an equivalent. Just have to look. If that all fails, just port the program to run on your machine. No big deal. Don't feel like doing that? Dual boot. Use windows or OS X. Not that either? Virtual machine. A windows emulator.

My laptop will last for years and its already 5 years old and the thing hasn't slowed down yet. I will never buy a windows machine again.

Upvote 0
I've never owned a Mac, but I know a few people who have them (or have had them)... and they've all liked them. In fact, they say that the resale value holds much better than comparable windows boxes, also, seems like Macs seem to be in use longer... That could just be the people I know or see, but I see a lot of older Macs still in use.

That being said, I'm typing this on a dell that is five plus years old. :/

It really would be interesting to get a diff of the China version compared to the other releases.... let's see what's really going on under the hood ;)

It's Windows 8 where there's definitely a PRC version. One thing it only works in Chinese, no English. The Start screen is pre-loaded with apps and accessories specifically for China. It comes pre-loaded with the Tencent QQ IM and social networking suite, and that is definitely censored and monitored...it's spyware. And the fact that Win 8 only works in Chinese, I know personally has caused some expats lot of frustration. So if they want English, they either have to buy a PC in Hong Kong(Which has regular Win 8), else they have to pirate(NOT recommended), use Linux(much better) or learn to read Chinese.

I've already posted at length about the frustrations of trying to use Win 8 in China, in the Windows 8 thread. Which is why I now use Linux Mint, and OS X on my Macbook. :D

Vista and 7, it's the Home Basic versions. Which a cheaper, crippled version of Home Premium for emerging markets.

And then there's XP, which is pretty much the defacto OS for most PCs in China. But the XP you see in China is different to the normal one, the Start Menu is laid out differently. It's nearly always a pirated version called "XP Professional Ghost Edition". Comes on a DVD/R, and is pre-loaded with Chinese software and the most useless anti-virus ever, Qihoo 360.

Microsoft also does a special China edition of Skype, called TOM-Skype for Windows, Android and iOS. Which I know for a fact is censored and monitored. And there's a China version of Office as well.

There's "Don't be evil" Google, which doesn't seem to do very well here.
Then there's "Be very evil" Microsoft, and seems to do very well thank you very much(despite all the piracy).

Here we go... Windows 8 China edition.
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-8-china-edition-confirmed-microsoft-employee

I just checked, the Wikipedia entry on Windows 8 seems to be blocked at the moment, along with the articles about Tibet and Tiananmen Square.....hmmmm....evidently they don't want The People finding out too much.

Upvote 0
The problem with stereotypes is that they're as true as anything else on the internet. - Abraham Lincoln, 1859

^This is my favorite new meme lately.

OT: An old photoshop of mine:
hg9mx.jpg

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Also on topic:

I use a MBA and love it. I really like Apple's laptops. I used to use a Mac Pro tower and it was a beast too. But at home I build my own gaming PC and use Windows 7.

They all have different strengths and weaknesses and 95% of that has to do with what the user needs. They are all good at general computing. Photos, video, spreadsheets, documents, whatever.

So for me, it's a few simple categories:

Laptop with mobility, power, and battery, (but no budget) = Macbook Air
Gaming PC = Self-built PC
Server = Linux
Tablet or Phone = Android

Though I would actually love to drop windows in favor of Linux for the home desktop. But it needs 2-3 things for me to finally fully commit:
- Photoshop et al.,
- Pro Audio software
- Games

I've grown tired of MS, and Apple isn't any better -- both treat their customers rather poorly IMO.

But I love the build quality of the Macbooks (for work/commuting), and having bash. (i'm finally getting decent at git, whoddathunk?!?)

Incidentally, for a budget laptop I'd probably recommend a Windows machine but I dont know which are good.

Upvote 0
Also on topic:

I use a MBA and love it. I really like Apple's laptops. I used to use a Mac Pro tower and it was a beast too. But at home I build my own gaming PC and use Windows 7.

They all have different strengths and weaknesses and 95% of that has to do with what the user needs. They are all good at general computing. Photos, video, spreadsheets, documents, whatever.

So for me, it's a few simple categories:

Laptop with mobility, power, and battery, (but no budget) = Macbook Air
Gaming PC = Self-built PC
Server = Linux
Tablet or Phone = Android

Though I would actually love to drop windows in favor of Linux for the home desktop. But it needs 2-3 things for me to finally fully commit:
- Photoshop et al.,
- Pro Audio software
- Games

I've grown tired of MS, and Apple isn't any better -- both treat their customers rather poorly IMO.

But I love the build quality of the Macbooks (for work/commuting), and having bash. (i'm finally getting decent at git, whoddathunk?!?)

Incidentally, for a budget laptop I'd probably recommend a Windows machine but I dont know which are good.

For laptops, I still have my 4 or 5 year old HP Probook on the second generation Core i5. Swapped out for an SSD and the thing runs like a top. The Probook / Elitebook are the only HP laptops I would recommend. Price ranges from $600-$1800 for current gen, it depends on your configuration.

Upvote 0
For laptops, I still have my 4 or 5 year old HP Probook on the second generation Core i5. Swapped out for an SSD and the thing runs like a top. The Probook / Elitebook are the only HP laptops I would recommend. Price ranges from $600-$1800 for current gen, it depends on your configuration.

And that's why I hate buying any kind of pc.

I always start at the reasonable upper low to midrange.

Then comes the options. By the time I'm done trying to future proof, I'm in to the next line up.

By then I'm back to comparing prices with Macs.

I like the HP and Sony laptops, great luck with those as well as the MBP.

But before I ever get my wallet out, I'm usually begging WifelyMon to just shoot me.

So for me the price thing gets moot after a certain point.

Typical conversation at my house -

"Hey honey! I/we need (Toy X) and I can get one for ($abc). What do you think?"

"I think I know you and you need to come talk to me after you've managed to double or triple the price for something more than you originally wanted."

Lmao

Just building a Linux server is easier.

OK, usually. :D

PS - I'm not bragging about having money. PCs are a business expense for me.

Upvote 0
And that's why I hate buying any kind of pc.

I always start at the reasonable upper low to midrange.

Then comes the options. By the time I'm done trying to future proof, I'm in to the next line up.

By then I'm back to comparing prices with Macs.

When I bought my Probook new, it was near TOL for the processor it had. Out the door it cost me $1300. Worth every penny, and I still love it today. Before that I had an old first gen core 2 duo laptop... and it was ageing bad lol.

I like the HP and Sony laptops, great luck with those as well as the MBP.

Sony puts out a nice piece of kit, it's a shame they are on my "no buy" list for personal reasons.

But before I ever get my wallet out, I'm usually begging WifelyMon to just shoot me.

:rofl:

So for me the price thing gets moot after a certain point.

Typical conversation at my house -

"Hey honey! I/we need (Toy X) and I can get one for ($abc). What do you think?"

"I think I know you and you need to come talk to me after you've managed to double or triple the price for something more than you originally wanted."

Lmao

Just building a Linux server is easier.

OK, usually. :D

PS - I'm not bragging about having money. PCs are a business expense for me.

Add-ons, add-ons, add-ons. Oh the love-hate relationship.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Hey, I heard that 60% of all statistics are made up on the spot. ;)

I also heard that Stinky is the "Chosen One" and will lead us all to the "Promised Land" away from all this craziness! :)

I also heard that EarlyMon the RastaMon does not know how to make a simple, bog standard, child's play, easy as pie, straight forward, no sweat, no problem and simple as crap "egg and bacon breakfast".

You see, RastaMon doesn't know how to make the best eggs like me!

I also heard that Stinky knows EVERYTHING about everything so yes that means he also knows what you did last summer too! :)

:eek:

Upvote 0
I've owned one, and I didn't like the experience os x has. To me, someone who has always used windows, it was really confusing. However, of I was a programmer, I would get one.

I am a programmer.

So you would use time writing lines of code,
then compile it on a operating system whose binaries are not compatible with windows?

I think you fail to realize the headache of debugging on a system only to find out your flawless code may not be easily compiled in windows.

Or the heartache of piss poor sales by not compiling for most the world.

Upvote 0
I am a programmer.

So you would use time writing lines of code,
then compile it on a operating system whose binaries are not compatible with windows?

I think you fail to realize the headache of debugging on a system only to find out your flawless code may not be easily compiled in windows.

Or the heartache of piss poor sales by not compiling for most the world.

Maybe Java or web apps? Or he could be writing native OSX code.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones