• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would you pay to watch YouTube?

Gmash

Extreme Android User
Feb 3, 2011
neither Here nor There
http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/05/business/google-subscriptions-youtube-videos/

I mostly use YouTube for music or to watch phone reviews and such. If they start charging to watch music videos I think it would be very short sighted. Many times I have checked out bands on YouTube then bought their music if I liked it. If they start charging for that I can live without YouTube. If it is really just to compete with Netflix, that's fine, but once this starts, it will be a slippery slope. Expect to be nickel and dimed to death.

Ever since google acquired it I have liked it less and less with each update they roll out. I will not pay for watching youtube some of the adds are already annoying enough to not want to use youtube.. I get that it allows people to make money on their videos, but do they really have to have an add in the middle of a 10min video?

Upvote 0
I'm already paying for it--in a way. I have DirecTV, but I only have one HD receiver; that TV has On Demand and YouTube available on it--and YouTube is AMAZING on it vs on 'normal' ways of viewing it (computer, smartphone, etc.). No stuttering, no skipping, no pausing, no waiting for buffering...just smooth, continuous play. It's really enjoyable under those circumstances. :) But would I PAY pay for it? I don't think so. There's nothing there I can't live without.

Upvote 0
It won't just be movies. I think they have that already. Some of the partners so far are The Onion, WWE wrestling, and some gamers network. Personally, I've never subscribed to a YouTube channel, not even sure how that works, but I could see a paid Vevo music channel or for example, a Phonedog channel. Best thing about YouTube for me is some of the obscure live performances you would never find anywhere else. If they start having official paid music channels, expect the copyright cops to start being more aggressive about taking down free music that regular people post on there.

Upvote 0
It's not a one time fee, or pay per video, it's a monthly subscription for each individual "channel" that STARTS at $1.99 per month. That could add up fast.

From the article:

The move, which has been in the works for months, could be
announced as early as this week. It will apply to as many as 50
YouTube channels, people familiar with the plan say. Viewers will be
able to subscribe to each channel for as little as $1.99 a month.

Upvote 0
I would happily pay $30 a month to see dogs playing pianos and skateboarding cats.
LOL!!!

It's not a one time fee, or pay per video, it's a monthly subscription for each individual "channel" that STARTS at $1.99 per month. That could add up fast.

From the article:

The move, which has been in the works for months, could be
announced as early as this week. It will apply to as many as 50
YouTube channels, people familiar with the plan say. Viewers will be
able to subscribe to each channel for as little as $1.99 a month.
How does this affect channels already subscribed too?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones