• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would you recommend the LG G3?

I cannot justify the $100 price jump (S5 @ $799 vs G3 @ $699) for something with far less RAM, a smaller and lower resolution screen, a slower processor, and iPhone gimmicks like fingerprint sensor (which never works right, as my fingerprint can unlock my stepfather's iPhone 5)

The price on Verizon's edge program are the same. I find the screen on the s5 to be much better, simply because I can't tell the difference in resolution, but the s5 seems brighter with much better viewing angles. They both run the snapdragon 801 so that's a wash, but the s5 is only 16gb internal storage and 2gb of ram. My wife probably wouldn't even notice this difference, but it is a win for the g3.

The big deciding factor is probably how much better the g3 camera performs indoors. We have another baby on the way and she'll be snapping plenty of pics in the next couple months, so she'll definitely appreciate the better camera.

Upvote 0
AMOLED harms my eyes with the super brightness even at the lowest setting, but that point aside, you're still paying more for less, even through EDGE payments.

I'm not a fan of an additional 20 months added to an already long 2 year commitment myself, I paid full retail for my new G3.

The edge program actually isn't a bad deal. I have 4 lines on the share everything plan and the edge program will take the price of the phone on that line down to $15 from $40. Being that the g3 and galaxy s5 are both $30 for 20 months on edge, it's only a $5 a month increase for those 20 months. Right now Verizon is giving a $100 bill credit for starting a line on the edge plan, so that will cover the extra cost incurred over the duration of the program.

Upvote 0
I sadly fell for that Verizon Edge scam and now am stuck either paying remaining retail for my now broken Note 3, or paying over 20 months at 37.50 per month. Never again. I could certainly do without that 37.50 added to my bill. My bill also includes my Internet and I'm paying close to 400 per month and wish I could eliminate the Note 3 entirely without having to pay like 650 all at once. I'm on the more everything plan so my 12gb of data would reduce the per line price. If not for trapping myself on Edge, I'd only be paying close to 200 per month for a basic phone, my G3, and jet pack plus 12gb data.

Upvote 0
I've had my LG G3 since the 16th and I love it, came from a S4 that had for a year. My s4 was extremely laggy playing games drove me crazy it was rooted also several fixes i tried to do also but nothing helped. So after a year I ditched it and got my G3 which is my first LG phone. But I love this G3, a co-worker of mine had it for a month so I spoke to him about the likes and dislikes also held the phone used it and made my decision.

Bigger screen slightly taller then the S4 but all around good phone, I rooted it did some customizing and really dont notice any lag. Took 2 days to get use to the buttons in back but now I love them there. For protection from dropping I have a wallet case that Im getting use too but i also have a spigen slim amour really no screen protection with that case. The wallet case is just a leather wallet looking case that snaps close protects the screen well.

Went with the G3 because of both a removable battery and sd card option. No regrets at all.
You apparently borked your S4 in some way. My S4 32gb has been great and no funky lag with apps and especially not games. I find the S4 faster than the G3 with the UI and web, plus the display is better. The G3 display is a performance anchor in comparison.

As far as recommending the G3, I find both the Note 3 and Note 4 far better. Both (especially the Note 4) have more efficient displays and look much better.
They also do not run as warm as the G3.

Personal prefernce though :)

Upvote 0
What's all this about 'inferior battery?'

My Note 3, with Google Services all disabled, (as in no Play Store, screen dim all the way, no sync, only using email built into the phone, GPS off, power saver off, sounds off, Air View off, Bluetooth and WiFi on, Data on, Network on) just sitting in my pocket during a typical 12 hour work day (paired only to my G-Watch which is my only method of interfacing with the phone's notifications at work) would come home with anywhere from 49% to 59% of battery.

Just the same day, but with no wifi, using the horridly slow 3G/1X with one bar, all apps open and running (minimized with the home key), Bluetooth, GPS, ALL Google Sync on, data on, screen on auto, sound as loud as it gets (and i must tell you this thing has a LOUD speaker!) and changing literally nothing (phone is brand new, i've done nothing to it other than add my Google account and a handful of apps) and it came home with 79%. WTF!!! what inferior battery? and the LG G3 even with auto-update on has never once gotten hot. never lagged, has the most snappy UI i've ever seen on an Android phone, and has not once rebooted itself or frozen.

My Note 3 is dying anyway. it shorted out once during a 100 degree work day due to sweat and shocked my leg, and drained its battery all at once in the process. ever since it's been quite unstable, many apps randomly crash, it froze once at the lockscreen refusing any touch input, and always had the typical TouchWiz micro-stutter from time to time. the battery got me through the day, but with most stuff turned off, but the LG G3 can get two days of this type of use no problem.

The Note 4 was a possible option but after playing with the demo the thing isn't that different from the Note 3. the screen didn't get the 6" size i hoped for, the S-Pen is the same, same features, nothing, literally nothing new added to TouchWiz, and worse yet, it looks more like an iPhone than a Samsung phone, complete with the metal surround that will likely have the same infamous signal drop (antennagate) that plagued the iPhone 4 and 4S, and still plagues the iPhone 5 (you're holding it wrong)
9332c5e1209b8f9c9099595e43ca3cb0.jpg

21f58cf3a1d19a21d3ce454af8f6f7b8.jpg

Note 3.

This phones gets over 6 hours if screen on time, easily.

Usually around 6.5+ hours before it does. That's with a lot more stuff synching to the phone, auto brightness, and it actually being used.

On no planet does the G3 outlast the Note 3 for battery life.

Upvote 0
Today I have 50% battery left after 3 hours of screen on time after over 8 hours off the charger (a fair bit of it in a terrible reception area) with almost all Google Apps enabled and Google+ Synching photos among other things. So the battery life is fairly consistent for me.

This is with using not much different than Samsung default settings. If I used lower brightness and turned more gestures and apps off, I'd be getting close to 8 hours of screen on time per charge...

Upvote 0
For some reason I have the snappiest performance, best standby times, and no hot phone issues at all with my G3. The same couldn't be said of my Note 3, S4, or S3. All ran warm, had the infamous TouchWiz stutter, and got horrible reception. The S3 and S4 loved to freeze at the lock screen refusing to respond to touches, yet seemed to be working (the clock was right, notifications would show, etc).

Samsung phones also have the loss of service bug (got stuck in no signal and only a reboot would get the connection back), and the top battery killer was cell standby. My S3 would be dead by lunch, and 80% of the battery use was 'cell standby'

Of all of them, the Note 3 had the benefit of making it through the twelve hour shift, but by the time I was home, I'd be sitting on 20-30% remaining, making it useless for the remainder of the night, seeing as it'd spend the few hours I'm awake on the charger. This for a phone that lived in my pocket with zero screen on time. The G3 comes home with 70% left.

I do like Samsung, they make very decent hardware. They got me off Apple. Their UI to me is one of the best aside the stutter. But their battery life leaves much to be desired, and UI smoothness on LG phones left me wishing for that on my Samsung devices. The AMOLED screens always hurt my eyes (like looking into a sun to me, even turned all the way down didn't help), and the colors were very over saturated. The G3 having Quad HD doesn't mean jack to me. It has a more neutral and muted color scheme to the UI, the screen doesn't hurt my eyes, and I don't give up any of the features I like about Samsung (smart stay, multi Window , etc). The performance and battery life in the conditions I'm in just work better than what Samsung offers. The Note 4 wasn't different enough from the Note 3 to be worthy of buying it. It still stutters, has the same set of features (let's face it, I want more, not the same crap I had since the S4) and never got the ultra power saver mode, which would have helped with battery life.

I'm not blindly loyal to LG either. The last device I had, in fact, my first Android smartphone was an Optimus V. The G3 just happened to have all I loved about the Note series with none of the issues I've had to accept as part of the Samsung experience. Samsung is no longer adding things to TouchWiz these days to keep it interesting, they didn't up the screen size on the Note 4, didn't give it ultra power saving mode, and it's super expensive compared with the G3.

That isn't to say the G3 is perfect. I did prefer the 3D UI of the G2 myself, and generally hate flat design. The new minimalist UI doesn't really showcase the screen that well, and looks cheap. The buttons are mounted in a very non ergonomic manner, but the software functions like knockON and Knock Code make up for it.

Upvote 0
My last two phones were the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 4. This if my first phone company android phone. I would recommend this phone to all. It is quick, fits the hand nicely and has a ton of bells and whistles. The removable battery and the sim card slot are really nice. My battery will easily last all day. Even with constantly playing with it and setting up all my apps the first three days I still always had plenty of battery left at the end of the day. And if I didn't, I could just plug in my free battery from LG to keep it going. (Actually, I did not get it yet)
I am a bit annoyed that I have to wait for wireless charging without the "Circle case" while the Chinese do for me what AT&T should have given me in the box, making a internal wireless charging sticker for my phone. And that I have to dump my Qui charging bases and buy powermat ones. (I will say the powermats are rather cheap)
But I love this phone. Get it

Upvote 0
Circle Cases aren't likely to show up here until a year later, and the G3 just showed up a few weeks ago at Best Buy (the G Watch a month prior). currently no cases for it in stock ATM. I would buy it but after the S-View case damaged my Note 3's screen (dirt from work that ended up in my pocket would get in between the little glass in the case and the actual phone screen and rub into it so badly that part of the screen is 'hashed' up as if it had scraped concrete) i chose to go caseless and keep my G3 safe in the toolbox while at work.

One of my current favorite features is how natural the weather widget/Smart Notice tells you the daily weather. it might not be much to most people but i love how detailed it is. far more than S-Voice--and that's whenever S-Voice would actually find an internet connection.

Upvote 0
Hello! I need to buy a new phone. Should I get LG G2 32gb, LG G3 2gb/16gb or LG G3 3gb/32gb? The G2 is pretty cheap right now, but I like the G3! But I have to pay way more than a G2 to get a G3 2/16 and soooo much more to get a G3 3/32. Is it worth to spend more for the 3gb version... or should I buy the G2 instead?
Your suggestion?

Upvote 0
My wife has the G2, it was the first phone that the battery actually lasted all day with her (generally) just from pure talking and texting, facebook. But it is non-removable. She successfully killed her original one with a toilet dunk and a soda spill. (survived a toilet dunk but subsequent soda spill few months later killed the backlight on the screen).

I actually think it is snappier in performance in the home screens than my g3. Feels smoother and more fluid. Her camera takes awesome pictures.

She has the Verizon version and finding cases are much harder with the G2 since the US carriers had different variations. the G3 while not wildly popular has the advantage for having the same form factor worldwide pretty much. (Much the same advantage the Galaxy series has enjoyed).

If you go the G3, make sure you get the 3 Gb ram version. If you decide lesser for price then I say get G2 if you are not getting the 3 GB version of the G3.

Upvote 0
My wife has the G2, it was the first phone that the battery actually lasted all day with her (generally) just from pure talking and texting, facebook. But it is non-removable. She successfully killed her original one with a toilet dunk and a soda spill. (survived a toilet dunk but subsequent soda spill few months later killed the backlight on the screen).

I actually think it is snappier in performance in the home screens than my g3. Feels smoother and more fluid. Her camera takes awesome pictures.

She has the Verizon version and finding cases are much harder with the G2 since the US carriers had different variations. the G3 while not wildly popular has the advantage for having the same form factor worldwide pretty much. (Much the same advantage the Galaxy series has enjoyed).

If you go the G3, make sure you get the 3 Gb ram version. If you decide lesser for price then I say get G2 if you are not getting the 3 GB version of the G3.

Actually, the G3 is LG's first 10 million unit sold phone, so I'd say it's quite popular.

Upvote 0
Well, 3 months into owning the g3 and I still say this thing is a beast! The best phone I have ever owned. Another thing I have discovered is that during a call, the person on the other end hears my voice perfectly clear even if I am in a noisy environment. It blocks out background noise very well. When I used to talk to my friend, who owned an iPhone, I could hear all sorts of background noise. People always comment on that fact. :cool:

Upvote 0
trimming some unneeded emails from my inboxes i now come home after 12 hours with 89-90%. until now only my old iPhone 4 had that level of battery endurance. i still love how i can now have the screen brightness halfway up without going blind, and not needing to turn everything that makes it a smartphone off to keep the battery going. it's still super fast, hasn't lagged, needed a reboot, or rebooted itself or froze since i got it. it's amazing.

If it were possible to get the 3-D polish of the LG G2 UI i'd love that as that's my only gripe with the G3 is the flat design. i never liked flat design as it seems to be a 1980s PC era throwback. i would have gotten the G2 but the non-removable battery, tiny screen and no SD slot were deal-breakers. no doubt the G2 would eventually update itself to the new G3 UI anyway so it wasn't happening.

Upvote 0
I need to change my phone after the Samsung Galaxy S4 because for one it's an awful phone in my experience (have had to replace the battery twice, screen cracked after just one drop, etc) and was wondering whether to buy the new LG G3? If I was to do it I want the 32GB version because of the additional ram which I assume would be necessary for such an amazing screen.

For people who have the phone, would you recommend it? What's the battery life like? How fast is it? Any other comments regarding the phone? :D
I've had my G3 since the launch date. I preordered it and have never been happier with any phone. Personally, I like the LG company much better than Samsung. I've had a Samsung smart phone, a Motorola, and now this one. I had an LG "dumb" phone a long time ago before there were smart phones. I loved that phone at the time too. As far as battery life, really hard to tell, since I'm a heavy user and that eats the battery. BUT, it has a removable back cover, and I have a spare battery that I can just replace it with. I bought a small battery charger that you can just charge the spare in by itself. Found it on eBay from a seller in Korea and it's made by LG, although not available here in the US. This system works great and I never have to worry about the battery life. I have the 32GB, a must have. I also have the flip cover and I highly recommend it. It doesn't add any bulk to the phone and really looks nice. It's also easy to remove and replace when changing the battery. Expensive but worth the price. The phone feels great in the hand, even with the cover. The back is curved slightly, and the cover doesn't affect this feel. I think you will be very happy if you decide to get it. :):party:

Upvote 0
I am thinking about getting the G3 today at Best Buy. I can trade in my SG III and pay like 4 bucks. I am on Sprint, kinda curious what everyone thought about it.
I can get 45 for my trade in and the G3 is 49.00 ...

Good price?

Should I get a case right off the bat?

Also does it use a micro charger like the SGIII?

Thanks

I really like the phone. The only issue I have is the wireless charging. It a long story to get into, and the issue varies by carrier. But If you don't give a hoot about wireless charging, get it. And yes, the usb port is a micro.
As far as a case goes, Again, it's will matter if you use wireless charging and who your carrier is. But if not, there are a lot of great cases on amazon for 10 bucks or less. I like the Diztronic TPU case.

Upvote 0
I am thinking about getting the G3 today at Best Buy. I can trade in my SG III and pay like 4 bucks. I am on Sprint, kinda curious what everyone thought about it.
I can get 45 for my trade in and the G3 is 49.00 ...

Good price?

Should I get a case right off the bat?

Also does it use a micro charger like the SGIII?

Thanks

If I were in the same boat, I'd actually consider the Note 4 as well, considering the deal that Best Buy is offering:

Samsung Galaxy Note 4- BestBuy

So, if you're open to the Note 4 also. $99 for that phone isn't a bad choice either, assuming they abide by the "Guaranteed 200 trade-in".

Upvote 0
If I were in the same boat, I'd actually consider the Note 4 as well, considering the deal that Best Buy is offering:

Samsung Galaxy Note 4- BestBuy

So, if you're open to the Note 4 also. $99 for that phone isn't a bad choice either, assuming they abide by the "Guaranteed 200 trade-in".

The note 4 was on my short list when I got the G3. I know it is not a hell of a lot bigger, but it just seemed too big to me. But it is one he should consider is "size doesn't matter".

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. LG G3

Upvote 0
I've been consistently happy with my VZW 3/32 LG G3 since getting it in July. I quickly came to appreciate the screen size, and performance has been excellent (I'm not a gamer).

I've been rooted since ioroot first came out, have my handful of must-have apps that require root, and have the Bump'd TWRP, for if/when I want to try custom ROMs (I did make sure to turn off over-the-air updates, so I don't get anything pushed fromthe carrier that doesn't play well with root or TWRP).

I use a Spigen SlimArmor case, with a simple holster, and one of the glass screen protectors.

Other phones are good, too, but I've certainly been happy with this one.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Upvote 0
The note 4 was on my short list when I got the G3. I know it is not a hell of a lot bigger, but it just seemed too big to me. But it is one he should consider is "size doesn't matter".

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. LG G3

Totally understandable. I had the G3 for long enough to really fall in love with the physical form factor. And it is still in the family, but my Mom really wanted it, so I just set it up on her line and kept my Note 3. The Note 4's additional height kinda bothered me. Same with the Note Edge additional width. Overall,
I think the G3 is actually a steal, considering 32gb internal, removable battery, same screen size as Note 2, and much less subsidized price. I actually find it to be physically much smaller than either my Note 2 or 3, so it really comes down to people's individual comfort level.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones