• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would you recommend this phone?

unity04

Jan 9, 2011
Canada
I'm with Bell here in Canada and the only decent HTC device there is on Bell is the Desire Z. Would you recommend it? Just a few questions:

1. Since the release of the phone have their been any software updates?

2. How's the durability and quality of the build of the phone? do you ever notice the phone rocks/wobbles due to a keyboard underneath and a hinge that holds the two pieces together?

3. Does the phone ever randomly reboot on you?

4. I read on the forums there's some issues with SMS' where when typing the box will scoll up and you can't see what ur writing.. does this issue still exist?

Thanks.

I'm with Bell here in Canada and the only decent HTC device there is on Bell is the Desire Z. Would you recommend it?

I've had mine with Bell since November. I definitely would recommend it.

There has not been one out for me. I have heard of one out for another country (I forgot where). HTC has announced that the Desire Z will get Gingerbread later this year.

2. How's the durability and quality of the build of the phone? do you ever notice the phone rocks/wobbles due to a keyboard underneath and a hinge that holds the two pieces together?

When using the phone normally, I do not notice any rocking or wobbling of the keyboard whether open or closed. I haven't had any physical problems with it and it has survived a drop of about 4 feet onto hardwood floor without any issues. As far as I can tell, I have not noticed any degradation of the hinge in 4 months. It still feels the same as when I first got it.

I have had the phone reboot on me. The first month, it rebooted a couple of times. These happen mostly when I start up the phone. Normally, the phone starts up quickly, but a couple of times, it starts up and then reboots on start up. For whatever reason, the phone seems to be more stable after the first month. I did have some reboots afterwards, but I noticed that it was just happening when I was using Google Maps. Last week, there was an update to Google Maps. After the update, I tried to use Google Maps a number of times, but it has not rebooted since the update.

If you want more details, you can search the Troubleshooting threads here. Just search for threads I started and I think I have two regarding auto reboots. One is rather recent that I narrowed it down to Google Maps and that it hasn't happened since the update.

4. I read on the forums there's some issues with SMS' where when typing the box will scoll up and you can't see what ur writing.. does this issue still exist?

I had on occasion had the screen scroll on me while entering text on some screen, not necessarily SMS. It happens very seldom and I just scroll it back. I attribute it to either the capacitive screen or the optical track pad being a little overly sensitive and the phone thought I wanted to scroll the screen. It doesn't happen that often. I find I accidentally touch the laptop track pad while typing on it way more than the accidental scrolling incidents on my phone.

Upvote 0
I think I have seen one minor update so far.

Not really, although it can feel like it sometimes if you pick up the phone by one half. Even if the hinge is stable and durable, it doesn't feel that way sometimes.

No.

I haven't experienced it although I use handcent SMS.

To answer your overall question - from a performance point of view the phone is fine and the keyboard works really well.
From as aesthetic point of view ... not so convinced. The phone is just a little bit too chunky, too heavy and yet has a hinge that feels anything but solid.
If those issues were addressed I would recommend it in an instant - but as it is I would have to suggest anyone looking at it tried to fine one to physically pick up and play with because the feel of it is very important.

Upvote 0
I'm with Bell here in Canada and the only decent HTC device there is on Bell is the Desire Z. Would you recommend it? Just a few questions:

Thanks.

1. i got mine , today ... just a minor update though ...

2. never ! as long as you're using it just like a normal human being , it'll be fine

3.never [stock rom]

4.i never have that experience except the wrong sms time issues

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones