• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would you say SGS2 is plagued like Captivate?

To my knowledge...

Rooting is just a term or a means to get super administrative powers on your smart phone. It also enables you to screw it up big time too, if you know just enough to be stupid and dangerous playing around and modifying things you know nothing about.

Flashing, is just loading something into memory, after you stripped and deleted the original software or firmware that was on it. The question always becomes what firmware, why is it better, or why is it worse, for my needs.

So spit it out, what did you do to your phone for mods?

just because I know how to use root and flash in a sentence, does not mean I've done the procedure with success yet... with a Samsung Galaxy S II with i777. I don't wish to become a brick statistic.

yeah, i wasn't equating rooting with flashing the ROM.. but they process is quite similar (almost equal in degree of difficulty). if you can root your device, i am fairly certain that you can flash the ROM. and yeah, i do agree that flashing the ROM is riskier than rooting.. but as far as i know, you will likely (at worst) soft brick your phone (it's happened to me once, and the restore was probably as easy as rooting/flashing).

i don't know all the hangups with the original ROM, but i used it for maybe 20 minutes before flashing and noticed how there was a hitch (same thing with the original galaxy s phone, which was the one i owned previously).. IE transitioning was not as smooth and opening apps weren't as zippy as i would have liked.

i also liked the removal of bloatware, but you can do that yourself if the phone is rooted. also, i'm not sure how battery life compares.. but as of right now, with data turned off, my phone burns 1%/hour at idle, and with moderate use gets me through the day. oh, and you also get the most recent version of android that isn't a huge battery drain.

Upvote 0
What tweaks or mods are you running?
I am using battery manager to turn off stuff when the screen is off (there is a thread on the 1st page about the 2.3.6 battery work around) then I have my data turned off so i only use wifi. Screen set to half brightness. Then I use titanium backup to freeze the att crap.

If I use the phone heavily (streaming movies, web surfing and what not) I can get 1 day out of it. But texting phone calls and using apps on the phone I constantly get 2 days

Hope that helps

Upvote 0
I am using battery manager to turn off stuff when the screen is off (there is a thread on the 1st page about the 2.3.6 battery work around) then I have my data turned off so i only use wifi. Screen set to half brightness. Then I use titanium backup to freeze the att crap.

If I use the phone heavily (streaming movies, web surfing and what not) I can get 1 day out of it. But texting phone calls and using apps on the phone I constantly get 2 days

Hope that helps

Sounds like exactly what I need! :D Less processor speed, moar battery life, less bloat, less invasive sneaky apps that suck down my data, as I only get 3 Gigs per month, and mostly use WiFi at home, where I am most of the time.

Upvote 0
I can get this (6%), moderate use, running Battery Defender and AT&T WiFi app, set to only connect to AT&T WiFi Hotspots and networks I choose.

SC20120130-063709.png

However, disable those 2 things and/or use an aftermarket battery and my life is cut 3/4 if not more.

Upvote 0
OK, newb question... how do you get a screen shot & where do you host it?

Press and hold the Home button, then quickly hit the power button. You'll see the screen react, as if you took a photo and you'll hear the sound. The photo is saved in your photo gallery under Screen Captures. As for hosting, I just use photobucket.

Upvote 0
I was in my local phone store with my S2 - Two people came in complaining about their S2 and another about the HTC Desire- In the same time I was there ! !

All were about a combination of Battery, heat and restarts.

For how "good" these phones are - a lot of general users dont seem happy.

The assistant had a S2 and complained to ME it sometimes heated up. He also said they get a lot of returns.

Must admit I was shocked and concerned now.

I too have had issues with things.. manly battery and flash video.
No issues here, and I use my phone a lot, only time it get's warm is on an intensive game for example but that applies to my iPhones as well along with any other phone (actually the iPhones can get pretty hot). Only issue I've had is battery life not as good as before after the 2.3.6 update

Upvote 0
I can get this (6%), moderate use, running Battery Defender and AT&T WiFi app, set to only connect to AT&T WiFi Hotspots and networks I choose.

However, disable those 2 things and/or use an aftermarket battery and my life is cut 3/4 if not more.

How does one "choose" a network?

Applications> Wireless network> Wifi settings?

Does this take it out of scanning mode for open available networks?

Please, do detail for us.

Upvote 0
Actually, I haven't had any problems with my phone. Great performance, awesome battery life and I still haven't gotten a reboot since I bought it. Now Sammy is definitely my go to android device manufacturer. Oh, and I'm running 2.3.4 since I never got the OTA update and I don't feel like upgrading. :p

Upvote 0
There is no such thing as a best "Custom" rom ...that's why its custom..getting great battery life from this device is a matter of understanding your own usage and customizing it accordingly...you may not even have to root to get great battery life, although I would recommend it..have a look at my screenshot below, with a custom rom
012735b9-f457-1042.jpg

Upvote 0
Btw...I have 3g on all the time...use wifi only at home ...and have twitter and fb refresh set to 1 HR...am using the Checkrom HD 4.0 rom with speedmod kernel

Iinteresting, how does one throttle back to 3G? Instructions for an old man, key by key, step by step with the "greater than" sign would be helpful, I am a bit of a slow learner.

Those are some great run time numbers, I can get about 2 days out of mine, 7 am to 9 pm, shut off at night, wifi almost all day long, on a charge.

Run this thing like a computer, and it sucks the battery like a computer, use it like a phone, and it's pretty good.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones